daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Cucunuba

Likes (Received): 378

Tudor Architecture in non Anglo-Saxon Countries

I will star with some examples in Bogotá-Colombia, where Tudor style (neo) was one of the predominant styles in the 30s.

All these examples are mainly from a small neighborhood named La Merced. Most have lost the front gardens to road-expansion.
The biggest quantity of houses in that style can be found in Teusaquillo and Quinta Camacho.

Photos by me

Last edited by Cucunuba; March 9th, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Cucunuba no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55337

Nice photos and I presume those are your self made images, would you credit yourself by write down 'photos by me' under each post? Thanks!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Cucunuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Nice photos and I presume those are your self made images, would you credit yourself by write down 'photos by me' under each post? Thanks!
Thanks and thanks for the advice.
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #4
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15099

Great new thread! What's the back story behind Tudor architecture in Colombia? The country didn't have much British colonial influence that I know of.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Likes (Received): 13966

OMG, the mods in the international section are so annoying with that photo crediting subjetc.

Great pics btw!

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

North South Cone, Best Cone.
Motul está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Cucunuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Great new thread! What's the back story behind Tudor architecture in Colombia? The country didn't have much British colonial influence that I know of.
The actual direct influence was little (or none). However in the last half of the nineteenth century and beginnings of the twentieth it was not uncommon for wealthy families to send their sons to study in England.

I would say that a new taste for english countryside architecture started to be acquired and considering the typical climate of Bogotá (which is never hot and mostly cool and rainy), people started to adopt that style.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #7
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
OMG, the mods in the international section are so annoying with that photo crediting subjetc.

Great pics btw!
If you source your photos you will never be annoyed, I promise! The reason were so nit picky about it in Int'l Forums is because they are the most read by people outside SSC (remember these forums are visible by all on the internet and are on the front page). In the past there have been problems when people find their photos on SSC that have been posted without crediting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucunuba View Post
The actual direct influence was little (or none). However in the last half of the nineteenth century and beginnings of the twentieth it was not uncommon for wealthy families to send their sons to study in England.

I would say that a new taste for english countryside architecture started to be acquired and considering the typical climate of Bogotá (which is never hot and mostly cool and rainy), people started to adopt that style.
Very interesting, the climate of Bogota is indeed more maritime almost.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
Old March 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Cucunuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Very interesting, the climate of Bogota is indeed more maritime almost.
I'm not really sure what you understand for "maritime". By car we are at least 16 hours away from the closest coast, at 8000 feet over the level of the sea...

Also, locating it on a map you could say "tropical", but we know that there are even tropical climates with perpetual snow...

We don't have seasons (as we are close to the ecuator), but because of the altitud our maximum temperature is 25 degrees centigrade (as an exception), and during the night it can drop to minus 1. However the average is between 8 degrees and 18 degrees (in the same day), being the sky normallly overcast.

Because of the altitud and the rain the vegetation adquires a deep green color, similar to what you can see in the english countryside, but closer to the scottish one, even if there is nothing similar between the two countries (just the color and the sky).
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #9
musiccity
Retired Mod

I mean, it's kind of similar to the maritime climate of the British Isles. Just let variation in seasons

-Mark Twain
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #10
Tyco75
Orgulloso de ser TICO

Likes (Received): 505

Great pics from Bogotá.
Tyco75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #11
Cucunuba

Bogotá - Colombia

La Merced and Teusaquillo Neighborhoods

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #12
R U A H
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Villa Serra, Bolzaneto, Genova (around 1850)

Cucunuba, KsAnnur liked this post
R U A H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #13
R U A H
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Dal Pozzo Castle, Oleggio Castello, Novara (around 1870)

UnHavrais, Cucunuba, KsAnnur liked this post
R U A H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Cucunuba

@R U A H: Thank you for your contribution. I never thought that there would be italian examples (specially becasuse of the strong itialian architecture)

@musiccity, Tyco75, Yellow Fever & Motul: thanks for commenting.