daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:20 PM   #161
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Trembowla - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine

The stone fortress in Trembowla was built in a place of wooden fortress by King Casimir III the Great of Poland in 1360. The castle was guarding the border of Poland thus suffered from constant attacks. The fortress was captured by Cossacks in 1594. The fortress was totally reconstructed in 1631 just in time to face a Turkish army in 1675. Turkish army of 30,000 soldiers laid siege to the fortress that was defended by only 80 soldiers and 200 townspeople under the command of Jan Samuel Chrzanowski. Greatly outnumbered Chrzanowski decided to surrender. His wife, Anna Dorota Chrzanowska, picked up a knife and threatened to commit suicide if her husband went through with the surrender (see Battle of Trembowla). This shamed the troops and they decided to stay and defend the fortress. They held out for two weeks until the Polish army led by Jan III Sobieski arrived to save them.

Only twelve years later (1687) the Tatars again burned down the town and this time destroyed the fortress that was never rebuilt.







Statue of Anna Dorota Chrzanowska
__________________

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 10th, 2014 at 05:34 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #162
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Pietniczany - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



The palace was built by the Grocholski family in the 18th century. The last owner, Zdzisław Grocholski escaped to Warsaw when the area was annexed by the Soviet Union in 1920.



__________________

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 15th, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #163
Urbanista1
Here and Now
 
Urbanista1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,426
Likes (Received): 5284

fascinating work, you should consider doing a book.
__________________
ten rząd wstrząsa podstawami naszej państwowości i funkcjonowania społeczeństwa. Natomiast większość społeczeństwa śpi, nie zwraca uwagi, co się dzieje i trzeba je z tego snu obudzić - Piotr S


Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

JanVL liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #164
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Szpików - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



The palace was built by Leonard Marcin Świejkowski (Trzaska coat of arms) in the 18th century.



__________________

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 4th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #165
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel
 
Mruczek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Outside Blue Banana
Posts: 10,441
Likes (Received): 13470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanio View Post
Early 1600s palaces in Warsaw

Ujazdowski Castle, summer residence of the Vasa dynasty (architect Matteo Castelli):

You mean, early 1970s
__________________
We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. Winston Churchill
Z archiwum Mruczka:
Buk Miłosław Szamotuły
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

TheReconstructer, Mateusz864 liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #166
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Lwów - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine

High Castle
The brick castle in a place of wooden fortress was built by King Casimir III the Great of Poland in 1362. It became the residence of Polish nobles. The castle was rebuilt and repaired many times over centuries. It was vandalised by Cossacks in 1648. In 1704, when Lwów was occupied by Swedes the castle was heavily damaged. After partitions of Poland, Austrians initiated disassembling of fortifications around the castle.

In the 19th century, the castle was taken apart. The fortification was strengthened, trees were planted on the hill's slope, and a park was constructed. On the place where the castle once stood, a Union of Lublin Mound was constructed in 1869, dedicated to the 300-years of the Union of Lublin.

Reconstruction


Ruins of the castle


Low Castle
The stone Renaissance residence was built in 1565 (during the reign of King Sigismund II Augustus of Poland). The castle was dismantled in the 19th century (city map of Lwów).

Drawing from the 19th century


Reconstruction


Bielski Palace
The Baroque palace was built in 1756 according to the project of Pierre Ricaud de Tirregaille. The property belonged to the Bielski, Potocki, Komorowski, Uleniecki and Biesiadecki families.



__________________

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 19th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #167
Oslo2022
Registered User
 
Oslo2022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oslo
Posts: 594
Likes (Received): 849

Checiny - Swietokrzyskie, Poland
Crown of the Kingdom of Poland



The construction of the fortress probably began in the late 13th century It is certain that the castle existed in 1306, when king Władysław I the Elbow-high gave it to the Archbishop of Kraków, Jan Muskata. A year later, under the pretext of detection of a plot against the royal power, the castle returned to the king.

It played a significant role as a place of concentration of troops departing for war with the Teutonic Knights.[1] After the death of Władysław the Elbow-high the stronghold was enlarged by Casimir III the Great. At that time Chęciny become a residence of the king's second wife Adelaide of Hesse. In following years it was also a residence of Elisabeth of Poland, Queen of Hungary, Sophia of Halshany and her son Władysław III of Varna and Bona Sforza.[1] Later it was used for many years as a state prison. Among imprisoned here were Michael Küchmeister von Sternberg future Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, Andrzej Wingold, Jogaila's half-brother and Warcisław of Gotartowice.

In the second half of the 16th century, the castle began to decline. In 1588 the parliament ordered to transfer the castle's inventories to the Chęciny Church and in 1607, during the Zebrzydowski Rebellion the fortifications and buildings were partially destroyed and burned.

The castle briefly regained its former glory due to reconstruction initiated by Stanisław Branicki, starost of Chęciny, but in 1655-1657 it was almost completely destroyed by Swedish-Brandenburgian and Transilvanian troops. The destruction was completed in 1707 during another Swedish occupation. Then, the last residents left the castle. Over the next century the medieval walls become a source of building material for local villagers.


http://static.myvimu.com/photo/44/47554423_m.jpg


http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/30773252.jpg


http://www.widoczki.com/widoczki/2/c...amek-mgla.jpeg
__________________
Nå er det lenge siden 1952!
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:32 AM   #168
Don Vito KurDeBalanz
zdradziecka morda
 
Don Vito KurDeBalanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kanaliopolis
Posts: 2,667
Likes (Received): 18942

What a beauty! Thanks Oslo
Don Vito KurDeBalanz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #169
triodegradable
Buenos Aires-Argentina
 
triodegradable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 6,110
Likes (Received): 2606

wow wonderful , greetings from brazil now , my friends of ssc
__________________
LESS IS MORE ... Mies Van Der Rohe
triodegradable no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #170
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Biały Kamień - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



The first castle in Biały Kamień was built by Jerzy Wiśniowiecki in 1611. It was expanded by Jeremi Wiśniowiecki and Gryzelda Zamoyska in the first half of the 17th century. The future King of Poland Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki was born here in 1640. The castle was damaged by Cossacks in 1648-1649, by Ottoman army in 1672 and 1675. In the 18th century the castle was owned by Teresa Rzewuska (wife of Karol Stanisław Radziwiłł aka "Panie Kochanku"). After her death in 1787 the residence fell into disrepair and in the 19th century was almost completely dismantled.





Ruins of the castle in 1919


Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki


Signature
__________________

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 9th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #171
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Grodno - Grand Duchy of Lituania

Old Castle
The brick Gothic castle was built by Grand Duke Witold (Vitaŭt) of Lithuania between 1391 and 1398 as one of his main residences. Also, it was a main residence of future King of Poland Casimir IV Jagiellon. It was here that the Polish Crown was offered to him, and in Old Grodno Castle he died in 1495.

The next notable tenant of the castle was King Stephen Bįthory of Poland who envisaged Grodno as the capital of his vast empire in Europe. He engaged Scotto of Parma to replace the Witold (Vitaŭt) Castle with his own residence in the advanced Renaissance taste of Northern Italy. After Bįthory's death in Grodno in 1586, his pet project was abandoned. The citadel was devastated by the Russians during a Russo-Polish War in 1655.

The castle's revival was owing to Krzysztof Zygmunt Pac who raised sufficient funds to finance the refurbishing of the royal residence. The restored castle was selected by King Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki of Poland as the location for every third Sejm of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. The castle suffered extensive damage during the Great Northern War, forcing the royal court to move into the New Castle.

After the partitions of Poland the castle was given over to the Russian army and housed a barracks. The authorities of interwar Poland restored the chamber of the ambassadors and the Sejm Hall. At present the castle is classed as a museum.











New Castle
The royal residence was built on the high bank of the Nieman River at a little distance from the Old Castle. The two castles are joined by a 300-year-old arch bridge. The palace compound was designed by Carl Friedrich Pöppelmann. Construction was carried out between 1734 and 1751 under the supervision of several other Saxon architects, including Johann Friedrich Knöbel and Joachim Daniel von Jauch. The palace was completed under the direction of Giuseppe de Sacco in 1789 and remained home for King Stanisław August Poniatowski of Poland until 1797.

Used as a hospital and barracks throughout most of the 19th century, the palace was renovated by the Polish administration in the interwar period. Scarcely anything is left of the original fabric of the castle, whose refined Rococo detailing vanished during World War II. There followed a hasty and rather superficial refurbishing of the palace by the Soviets with a view to making it the headquarters of a local obkom.

A plaque on the wall of the palace commemorates the council of war held in the royal residence by Tadeusz Kościuszko on 30 October 1794.

Drawing from the 19th century


The palace in 1738


__________________

Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 4th, 2014 at 11:56 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #172
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Świack - Grand Duchy of Lithuania



The palace was built by the Wołłowicz family (Bogoria coat of arms) in the second half of the 18th century according to the project of Giuseppe de Sacco. Świack was property of the Wołłowicz family until the late 19th century. The residence was restored by Oskar Sosnowski in the 1930s after it was bought from the Humnicki family by Ministry of Health of the Republic of Poland.



Pre-war photos




The Wołłowicz family chapel - link
__________________

kaspis, Don Vito KurDeBalanz liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 12th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #173
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Skoki - Grand Duchy of Lithuania



Skoki was owned by the Niemcewicz family (Rawicz coat of arms) since the beginning of the 18th century until 1939. Polish poet, playwright and statesman Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz was born here in 1758. The palace was built in the 1780s and restored recently.




Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 11th, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #174
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Krasław - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Polish Livonia)



Krasław was a property of the Plater family since 1729 until the beginning of the 19th century. The palace was built by Konstanty Ludwik Plater between 1765 and 1791 according to the project of Antonio Paracco, devastated during Soviet times was recently renovated. In the town, there's also Roman Catholic Church built between 1755 and 1767 (link).



__________________

Rombi liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 11th, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #175
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Wołczyn - Grand Duchy of Lithuania



Wołczyn was owned by a Polish nobleman Prince Kazimierz Czartoryski since 1725. Czartoryski had given it as dowry to his daughter, Konstancja Czartoryska. She married Stanisław Poniatowski in 1720 and was the mother of the last King of Poland Stanisław August Poniatowski (born in Wołczyn in 1732). Stanisław Poniatowski built the palace and Roman Catholic Church in Wołczyn in the first half of the 18th century. The palace was completely demolished in the 19th-20th century. Unfortunately, I don't have any decent images of the palace, but because of its importance in our history, I had to share this information.



Roman Catholic Church (now being renovated)


Stanisław August Poniatowski


Signature

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 11th, 2014 at 01:56 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #176
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Korzec - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



The first stone castle was built in a place of wooden fortress (destroyed by Tatars in 1570) by Joachim Korecki in the 16th century. After the main princely line died out in 1651, Korzec passed through inheritance to a junior line of the Czartoryski family. In 1780, Józef Klemens Czartoryski rebuilt the castle to serve as his main residence. Korzec was destroyed in the wake of the November Uprising in 1832 and never rebuilt.

Reconstruction




Ruins of the castle
__________________

Euzebi, Croatian heritage liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 15th, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #177
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Wiśniowiec - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



The first castle was built by the Wiśniowiecki family probably in the 15th-16th century. After Union of Lublin in 1569, the family converted from Orthodox to Catholicism and became Polonized. The castle rebuilt by Jeremi Wiśniowiecki in 1640 was damaged during Polish–Ottoman War and Northern War. In 1720, Michał Serwacy Wiśniowiecki built Baroque residence according to the project of Jakub Blangey Daprés. The last male member of the Wiśniowiecki family died in 1744, so the palace became a property of his daughters Anna and Elżbieta. The residence was given to daughter of Elżbieta and Michał Zdzisław Zamoyski, Urszula Zamoyska as her dowry (she married Michał Jerzy Mniszech). The palace was expanded by the Mniszech family in 1781.















Ruins of the Roman Catholic Monastery and Church (founded by Jeremi Wiśniowiecki in 1645, members of the Wiśniowiecki and Mniszech family were buried here, destroyed in 1944 by Ukrainian nationalists, pre-war photo of a church)
__________________

Don Vito KurDeBalanz, Euzebi liked this post

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 15th, 2014 at 02:13 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #178
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Sławuta - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



Sławuta was owned by the Sanguszko family since 1720. Initially, they built a stone castle, which was later converted into Baroque residence (1780s). The most notable members of the Sanguszko family born or residing in Sławuta included Eustachy Erazm Sanguszko, Roman Sanguszko and Władysław Hieronim Sanguszko. The palace was completely destroyed, while Roman Damian Sanguszko brutally murdered by Russian army in 1917.

Drawing from the 19th century


Before 1917


The Sanguszko family members were buried in Roman Catholic Church founded by Eustachy Erazm Sanguszko in 1822 - link


Last edited by RS_UK-PL; August 22nd, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #179
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Hryców - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



Hryców was the property of the Grocholski family since 1752 until WW2. They built Rococo palace in 1782, which was demolished in the 1940s.

Project of the palace


Pre-war photo


The Grocholski family members were buried in Neo-Gothic chapel located within the complex.

More information you'll find here: link

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 12th, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #180
RS_UK-PL
Registered User
 
RS_UK-PL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: R-L1029
Posts: 2,301
Likes (Received): 3392

Kudryńce - Crown of the Kingdom of Poland, now Ukraine



Kudryńce Castle was founded by Mikołaj Herburt (1544–1602). It was occupied by Turks for almost 11 years in the second half of the 17th century, recaptured by Andrzej Potocki's army. The castle renovated and well looked after by the Humiecki family in the 18th century was largely dismantled in the 19th century.



Ruins in the second half of the 19th century


Now

Last edited by RS_UK-PL; May 12th, 2014 at 11:16 PM.
RS_UK-PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
belarus, lithuania, poland, ukraine

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu