daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:56 AM   #121
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

The New Garia transfer Station in South 24 Parganas District: Metro to Suburban Rail-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
New Garia

photo copyright Samrat Mukherjee

n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:05 AM   #122
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

A packed Metro coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
photos copyright Thressy

EW Metro - construction
Quote:
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:17 AM   #123
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Dum Dum Metro station:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
photos copyright Raj Roychowdhury

An underground Metro station in the City:

Quote:


Last edited by n20; April 24th, 2013 at 05:27 AM.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM   #124
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Map of the intertwined underground Kolkata Metro and the at-grade Circular Rail:


source

Please note: The Prinsep Ghat - Kidderpore - Remount Road - Majerhat section has been operating although this map indicates it's still U/C that's not true. Thanks to forumer micro for pointing it out.
This map has some errors:_

a) Tollygunge – New Garia section of metro line 1 has opened in 2010.
b) Ultadanga Road station on (so called) Circular Railway has closed after opening a bigger station Kolkata near that station about 10 years ago.
c) Metro line 2 has changed a lot..
i) G.T.Road station will be named as Howrah Maidan.
ii) Currently this line will be started from this point, and remaining section upto New Dasnagar will be constructed later, which time is not scheduled. In Future it may be extended upto Dhulagarh.
iii) There will be no crossing with line 1 at Chandni Chowk, but at Central.
iv) There will be no such station Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Marg. Originally Bowbazar station was planned there, but now it has cancelled due to land problem.
v) This line will not go via Kankurgachhi, but will go via Yuba Bharati Krirangan (Football Statium).
vi) After Bengal Chemical, stations will be at City Centre, Central Park & Karunamayi.
vii) The original plan of extension upto Rajarhat has now cancelled, instead, a separate line (line 6) is under construction on Rajarhat (Newtown)

So please change this map with the map posted on Wikipedia for latest information.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:00 PM   #125
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Beyond Dum Dum Station, the Circular Rail connects to the Kolkata International Airport.

Kolkata's Circular Railway has been extended from Dum Dum Cantonment to Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport.
A 3.8 km extension from DumDum Cantonment station and includes two elevated stations.

It runs at grade to UK Dutta Road and then on an elevated structure to the airport passing through Jessop, Jessore Road, VIP Road, and the domestic terminal road.
This project was an undertaking by the Kolkata Metro.

An aerial of the Circular Rail approaching the International Airport:


source
This is not the aerial view of Airport line, but it is the aerial view of metro line 2 at Karunamayi. Please change your text.
__________________

n20 liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:01 PM   #126
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Circular Rail passes the Hooghly River (River Ganga in Kolkata) riverfront; you can see the Hooghly Bridge in the background:

Photo courtesy Suncity; taken in April 2012-
The bridge on background is not Hooghly Bridge, but it is Howrah Bridge, new name is Rabindra Setu. It is the busiest bridge of world, which had tram lines until 1992.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:03 PM   #127
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Metro underground extension towards the Tollygunge Depot (Oct '09)-
Another wrong information. This is the pedestrian underpass at Sealdah rail station; there is no question of any metro line.
__________________

n20 liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:03 PM   #128
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Thank you for your interest, micro.

During peak hours in the morning and evening, the circular trains run every 2 to 3 minutes, and between 3 to 15 minutes during non-peak hours.

Circular trains run from 5 AM to past 10 PM.
There are timetable books you can purchase at the stations for a very nominal price.

Please refer below for some of the Circular rail timetables:

source
Completely wrong. I live in Kolkata since 1984, so I’m sending the actual timing of Circular Rail here.

All trains on this line come from outer suburbs of Kolkata, mostly from north suburbs. Not all trains encircle the city. Most terminates at Majherhat, then return back again on the same route, suppose coming via Dumdum – Princepghat- Majherhat, then going via Majherhat – Princepghat – Dumdum. Some terminates at B.B.D Bag or Kolkata. Some comes from Dumdum to Majherhat via Princepghat, then goes to Ballygunge, but then goes another direction towards south suburbs. Some trains start from Sealdah South building and terminates at B.B.D Bag or Kolkata.

The link you've described clearly shows trains timings on this line. Please read it after clicking pictures of time table page for zoomed view.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM   #129
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Photos of Rabindra Sadan Metro Station and others of Line 1 Phase I (pictures taken Jan '10):
Another mistake. The first photo is not Rabindra Sadan Station, but Park Street Station. It will be renamed soon Mother Teresa Sarani.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:20 AM   #130
chayan04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kolkata, Bangalore
Posts: 304
Likes (Received): 162

They can convert the entire circular railway stretch to metro. That will not cost more, because, infrastructure is already there. Just brand new rolling stock and little change in the stations and some beautification will change the entire look.
__________________

n20 liked this post
chayan04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:16 AM   #131
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,433
Likes (Received): 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
A Metro station in South 24 Parganas District (southern suburbs)



An underground Metro station in the City:
The 1st foto is Dumdum metro station, which is situated in North Kolkata.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #132
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
This map has some errors:_

a) Tollygunge – New Garia section of metro line 1 has opened in 2010.
b) Ultadanga Road station on (so called) Circular Railway has closed after opening a bigger station Kolkata near that station about 10 years ago.
c) Metro line 2 has changed a lot..
i) G.T.Road station will be named as Howrah Maidan.
ii) Currently this line will be started from this point, and remaining section upto New Dasnagar will be constructed later, which time is not scheduled. In Future it may be extended upto Dhulagarh.
iii) There will be no crossing with line 1 at Chandni Chowk, but at Central.
iv) There will be no such station Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Marg. Originally Bowbazar station was planned there, but now it has cancelled due to land problem.
v) This line will not go via Kankurgachhi, but will go via Yuba Bharati Krirangan (Football Statium).
vi) After Bengal Chemical, stations will be at City Centre, Central Park & Karunamayi.
vii) The original plan of extension upto Rajarhat has now cancelled, instead, a separate line (line 6) is under construction on Rajarhat (Newtown)

So please change this map with the map posted on Wikipedia for latest information.
Agreed, Ashis. I've edited the post.

The present Circular Railway map:-


wiki source
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #133
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
This is not the aerial view of Airport line, but it is the aerial view of metro line 2 at Karunamayi. Please change your text.
Thanks, Ashis. Text is now corrected.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:13 AM   #134
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
The bridge on background is not Hooghly Bridge, but it is Howrah Bridge, new name is Rabindra Setu. It is the busiest bridge of world, which had tram lines until 1992.
Yes, the name is Howrah Bridge / Rabindra Setu and it spans the Hooghly River; hence the reference as Hooghly Bridge.
There is no bridge called Hooghly Bridge per se.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #135
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Another wrong information. This is the pedestrian underpass at Sealdah rail station; there is no question of any metro line.
Yes, you're correct. The post is now corrected as well.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #136
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Completely wrong. I live in Kolkata since 1984, so I’m sending the actual timing of Circular Rail here.

All trains on this line come from outer suburbs of Kolkata, mostly from north suburbs. Not all trains encircle the city. Most terminates at Majherhat, then return back again on the same route, suppose coming via Dumdum – Princepghat- Majherhat, then going via Majherhat – Princepghat – Dumdum. Some terminates at B.B.D Bag or Kolkata. Some comes from Dumdum to Majherhat via Princepghat, then goes to Ballygunge, but then goes another direction towards south suburbs. Some trains start from Sealdah South building and terminates at B.B.D Bag or Kolkata.

The link you've described clearly shows trains timings on this line. Please read it after clicking pictures of time table page for zoomed view.
There's nothing wrong with my statement here. I never said that all Circular rail trains complete the full circle, but some of them do.
I know they do because I've also taken Circular trains, first in the mid-nineties and then in 2005.
The point being made in that post was about the frequency of trains, both during peak hours and during the off-peak time.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #137
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Another mistake. The first photo is not Rabindra Sadan Station, but Park Street Station. It will be renamed soon Mother Teresa Sarani.
It's not a mistake at all. Please read my post again:

Quote:
Photos of Rabindra Sadan Metro Station and others of Line 1 Phase I (pictures taken Jan '10):
I've clearly mentioned that besides Rabindra Sadan Metro station, the pictures are of other Metro stations as well.
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #138
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Tollygunge Metro station [now renamed Mahanayak Uttam Kumar]; photo taken July 2011-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post

photo copyright Sanjoy Roy

n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #139
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

Aug. 2011 photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post
photo copyright piyush9685

n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #140
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer
 
n20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,206

NS Metro @ Garia (southern suburbs); Sep. 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncity View Post

photo copyright Soumyadeep Chatterjee

n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
kolkata, metro, tram

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium