daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM   #761
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Screenshot of the updated Architect's website, showing the increased height figure of 400 meters:

[IMG]http://i16.************/2pzfm89.jpg[/IMG]
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #762
Sukkiri

Likes (Received): 46

Bloody marvelous!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:00 AM   #763
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7063

Quote:
Dubai Puts a New Spin on Skyscrapers
Planned 68-Story Rotating Tower
Part of Massive Construction Spree
By ALEX FRANGOS

In skyscraper-crazy Dubai, tall isn't enough. In a design to be unveiled today in the oil-rich emirate, David Fisher, an Italian-Israeli architect, has dreamed up a 68-story combination hotel, apartment and office tower where the floors would rotate 360 degrees. Each floor would rotate independently, creating a constantly changing architectural form.

Each story of the tower would be shaped like a doughnut and be attached to a center core housing elevators, emergency stairs and other utilities. Wind turbines placed in gaps between the doughnuts would generate electricity.

The doughnuts won't rotate fast enough to give guests upset stomachs. A single rotation would take around 90 minutes. "It's quite slow," says Mr. Fisher.

In a project to be unveiled today, architect David Fisher has dreamed up a 68-story tower where each floor will rotate, causing the building's shape to constantly change.

Mr. Fisher's isn't the first plan for a rotating tower in Dubai. Last year, a local developer showed off plans for a 30-story 200-unit condominium tower that would rotate one revolution per day. Solar panels would drive the rotation mechanism.

It is hard to say whether the plans are simply rotating pies in the sky -- or projects that will actually be erected. But given what has been built in Dubai already, anything seems possible so long as oil prices remain high.

Dubai has become a playpen for architects, where the deep pockets of oil-rich developers drive some of the most eccentric building projects in the world. There is an artificial archipelago shaped like a map of the world and an underwater luxury hotel. There is also an indoor ski slope, a sail-shaped hotel and a fake chain of islands in the form of a palm frond dotted with homes.
See footage of the proposed Rotating Tower

Some see outlandish designs like these as a sign of an architectural apocalypse. "It makes me ill," says Eugene Kohn, principal at New York-based Kohn Pedersen Fox, a firm recognized for handsome, modernist -- albeit stationary -- designs. "Some of these buildings are going to the absurd."

Dubai's building spree is powered by massive government investment and money pouring in from individual investors from around the Middle East, especially people looking to park their oil wealth in real estate.

The country's ruling family, led by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, realizes its oil will someday run out and wants to create a viable financial foundation for future generations by creating a commercial and recreational capital for the Middle East.

"The ruler of Dubai, he encourages us to grab the things that are super and unique in the world," says Mohammed Jardali, general director of Mejren Cos., the lead developer. "That's why we are going after the thing that will be a landmark and unique in the world."

The developer is a group including Sheikh Mejren bin Sultan's Mejren Group, Kriston Co., a developer based in Athens, and Gowealthy, a Dubai real estate marketing company. "We call it dynamic architecture," says Mr. Fisher, who says it will rise for a mere $330 million and will make an outsized profit to boot. "It can be sold for at least 40% premium because it will be an iconic building -- a landmark," he says. Mr. Fisher predicts construction will start in six months and be complete 22 months after that.

Mejren Cos.'s Mr. Jardali says terrorism isn't an issue for the developers. "Dubai is the safest place in the world. It is very peaceful. So we are not thinking about such a thing," he says.

Mr. Fisher dismisses the earlier unveiled effort at rotational architecture. "The other tower is just a cylinder that turns around itself very slowly over a week. But nothing happens to the shape."

The architect of the other tower, James Abbott of Hong Kong-based P&T Group, confirms that his tower will rotate just once a week. "We are doing it for just purely functional reasons, not gimmicky," he says. "The idea is for people to have 360-degree views." He says he and the developer, Dubai Property Ring, will submit final applications to local authorities in the next two weeks.

The proposed spinning towers follow a quiet campaign to build the tallest building in the world -- again -- in Dubai. Code-named "The Burj," or simply the Tower, the 240-story, one-kilometer-tall (3,281 feet) spire would beat out the currently under-construction Burj Dubai, which is slated to hit around 2,300 feet when complete in 2009. The taller Burj would be built by Nakheel Properties in Dubai. A spokesman declined to comment other than saying it is planning a "large tower."

The Burj Dubai, designed by Chicago architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill for Emaar Properties, will be a hotel and condominium and is expected to reach more than 1,000 feet taller than New York's Empire State Building. The current tallest building in the world is Taipei 101 in Taiwan. It reaches 1,671 feet.

Carol Willis, founder of the Skyscraper Museum in New York, which is about to mount a show on Dubai, is optimistic. "The future plans seem to be grounded on a substantial and intelligent plan on inventing a new city," she said. She cites the massive government investment in infrastructure and the rock-bottom labor costs as making these projects possible.

Mr. Fisher, 58 years old, was born in Tel Aviv. He moved to Florence for graduate school and became an Italian citizen. His early projects include the never-built design for a plaza near Jerusalem's Wailing Wall.

His claim to fame is the development of the "Leonardo da Vinci Smart Bathrooms," a prefabricated bathroom system that hotels and resorts use to quickly build new facilities.

Mr. Fisher says he got the tower idea while looking at condominiums for sale in Miami several years ago. He noticed the much lower price tags for units without water views.

Ten days later in New York, a friend boasted that hers was the only unit in her high-rise with views of both the Hudson River and the East River. "This is when I got my click," he says. He jotted down his idea and applied for a patent in the U.S. in 2004. He has never designed a high-rise building.

But he has assembled a formidable design team, however, including high-rise engineer Leslie Robertson, who is best known for designing the innovative structure of the World Trade Center's Twin Towers that were destroyed by terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001.

"It's not rocket science," says Mr. Robertson of the building's structure. "It's a basic structural core, a concrete silo and the doughnuts that wander around. To me, it's largely an amount of craftsmanship -- a matter of putting it together in thoughtful way so it's constructed quickly, reliably and with low ongoing maintenance costs."

He says supplying electricity to the floors will be similar to how a moving train captures power by staying in constant contact with a power source -- in the case of a train, an overhead wire or third rail.

Occupants on the top five floors would control the direction and speed by voice activated remote control.

The other floors would be programmed by the architect or building manager.

The plumbing is more of a challenge. "We have good people working on that," says Mr. Robertson. The architect and prefabricated bathroom expert Mr. Fisher also demurs about how the toilets will flush. "I can't disclose all the details," Mr. Fisher says.
Source
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #764
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

It's very quiet in this thread the last months!!
Stephan23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:19 AM   #765
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Dubai ran out of projects!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:29 AM   #766
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Never
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM   #767
Max the Swede
Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Don't like.
Max the Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:51 AM   #768
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

too many projects for each and everyone of them to gain attention.....
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM   #769
floridian-will

Likes (Received): 344

HOLY CRAP. People living in Dubai will truly be living in the future, this is like 100 years ahead of every city, all the projects are AMAZING. A 1,200 meter tower??? That was once though impossible. There will be skyscrapers everywhere, but it will still be a tropical paradise. There is NO WAY Emporis is counting every building there, I added their numbers up of Complete, U/C, and Approved, and it only came out in the 900's, I know the number is bigger than that.
floridian-will no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #770
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6556

dubai will also be a very green city, you'll nothing see from the desert in it
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #771
paw25694
Batik

Likes (Received): 36

wud love to visit Dubai..
paw25694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #772
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Posted a couple of weeks agoin the Dubai-UAE proposed developments thread, but I'll repost it here..
(see also post #763 above)

http://www.gulfconstructiononline.co...p?Article=8581 - GulfConstructionOnline.com - May 2007

Dubai - 313m - 1027ft - 68 storey tower (no location given)

"Dubai will be home to an innovative skyscraper which will keep changing its shape and generate surplus energy from the wind as well as the sun.
The ‘tower in motion’ is a revolutionary project based on “dynamic architecture”, a new concept introduced by Florentine architect David Fisher.
The concept allows floors to rotate individually around a central core. It involves the construction of a concrete core using slipform technology and lifting the modules in place.

When completed, the skyscraper will have 68 floors and will be 313 m high. Built in association with local entrepreneurs, the tower will comprise a six-star hotel, offices and apartments of various sizes besides five villas on the top floor. Each of the villas will have designated parking on the same floor with vehicles brought up and down in special elevators. The roof of the “Penthouse” villa will also have a swimming pool, a garden and an Arabian majlis."

Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #773
AltinD
The Modecator

Not really a news. Posted and threads exist for that, you can even check the post 763 above.
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 26th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #774
AltinD
The Modecator

THE
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 26th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #775
AltinD
The Modecator

THE OPUS, by Zaha Hadid

OPUS project unveiled in London

Zaha Hadid has unveiled a dramatic proposal for the Business Bay area of Dubai. The masterplan had called for two towers but Zaha’s loose interpretation takes the form of a huge sculptured cube. During the press conference it was apparent that client Omniyat Properties had asked Zaha to design the interior of another project but she had refused as she couldn’t do it her way. Even the conference itself was held in London to accommodate the glamorous architect, with many of the press flying in from Dubai to attend the launch.

The Opus project will be fringed by the Burj Dubai development. it will be neighbours with the Dubai International Financial Centre and the World Trade and Convention Centre, giving it a presitgious location with excellent access to the city. The Opus will appear to hover from the ground. Constructed of three separate towers the building will appear as a singlular unified whole, with a distinctive void. The interiors of which will be clad with a fully engineered curved class curtain wall to allow for eye-catching views into the void. Reflexive fritting patterns in the form of pixilated striations will be applied onto the glass facade to provide a degree of reflectivity and materiality to the cube while assisting in the reduction of solar grains inside the building. Within the Opus there will be a retail podium across the ground, first and second floor. The uppermost floor will feature a tranquility zone, a beach deck with a reflective pool and shaded roof terrace, a media zone and a gym. The building boasts an AAA-class rating and has 87 per cent space efficiency. The project will be launched at Citiscape property exhibition in Dubai in October 2007.

Article
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 26th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #776
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

It looks like a melted ice cube...just that it melts from the inside
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #777
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers