daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #801
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower View Post
miscellaneous photos

Media City

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

JLT

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Dubai Marina

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

night shots

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Palm Jumeriah

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

April 2006

[IMG]http://i13.************/661iv15.jpg[/IMG]

April 2007

[IMG]http://i18.************/308w3d3.jpg[/IMG]
The Photos proves that dubai is hotter than ever.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #802
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

WHY THE HELL DID YOU JUST QUOTE ALL THOSE PICTURES!?!?!?

Edit that post and omit all those pictures please skyscraperhighrise!!
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #803
win_wow
moose

Likes (Received): 0

yah because you are making the page very long..
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #804
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

also x2 longer to load...

anyway, once all those buildings are completed, is there going to be a high office vacancy?

thanks
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #805
Pea-Tear-Griffon
USA/Dubai FTW!

You better have a damn good explanation as to why you responded using a quote when he had all those pictures... now we have to scroll through all of them twice on the same page.

Edit: Whoa! That was weird, my computer showed that the post quoting all the pictures was the last post before mine, then all three of your posts showed up before mine when I posted. Weird! Anyway, seems like you guys already said what I was going to... my bad

Lois: Peter,why are we stopped?
Peter: Yeah, I'll have three cheeseburgers...
Lois: Peter for God's sakes she's havin' a baby!
Peter: Oh that's right...and a kid's meal... and uh,
I, I guess I'll have fries...if I have fries is anyone
else gonna have any? Cuz,uh I don't wanna be the
only one eatin' them... I'll feel like a fatty.
Pea-Tear-Griffon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #806
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

" Simply, Awesome!

It is, simply, awesome to witness a supermetropolis.... and possibly a megapolis being built from the ground up in such short a time.While We're celebrating Their astounding, heights and styles..... Let's hope and pray, but not assume, that These titanic developments are built with all the, latest and greatest, emergency/safety features available.

God forbid These be....
" Deathtraps! "
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #807
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

This is the coolest thread in all of SSC! Thanks a billion for taking the time to make it, Malec.

I suppose the updated version will come when we hit 1000 posts?
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #808
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3087321.ece

[IMG]http://i5.************/85mmgjn.jpg[/IMG]

Robo rex to roam in real Jurassic park

THE Natural History Museum has been appointed by the rulers of Dubai to help to create a “Jurassic park” of life-size robotic dinosaurs pounding across a primeval savanna.

The park will feature more than 100 giant animatronic creatures from 40 species ranging from tyrannosaurus rex to prehistoric fish. They will cover a 165m-year period from the Triassic to the Cretaceous era, which ended 65m years ago. The Jurassic period was between these two.

Visitors will be able to walk close to the dinosaurs, whose intelligent technology will allow them to roam freely. They will be able to respond to the environment around them, for example snapping their necks round at sudden movements made by visitors or lurching at people wearing red shirts.

“We wanted to create a hybrid of a theme park and a museum which would allow people to experience a Jurassic-era habitat in a scientifically realistic environment,” said Audrey O’Connell, the museum’s project director for the Dubai development, to be named Restless Planet.

The museum was invited to draw up the plan for the attraction by the Al-Maktoums, Dubai’s ruling family.

The park, which will open in 2010, is being built jointly with Ilyas & Mustafa Galadari Group, a local development company.

It will be the size of 10 football pitches and consist of two climate-controlled buildings, one of them dome-shaped. It will contain grassland and woodland divided into several different micro-environments.

In addition to species such as T rex and diplodocus, herds of less familiar creatures will also roam the landscape while pterodactyl swoop overhead and amphibians swim in a large lake.

The park’s developers hope to set new standards in the realism of animatronics in the same way that Steven Spielberg’s 1993 film Jurassic Park was a landmark in computer graphics with its dramatic portrayal of dinosaurs on screen.

The Natural History Museum was chosen because of its own work in developing animatronic dinosaurs, including a T rex. But despite recent advances in technology, the robots have been criticised for being wooden and unconvincing.

The developers say the new creatures will be startling in their realism, even at close quarters.

An international team of scientists led by the museum are advising on the accuracy of details such as the stretching of the dinosaurs’ skin, their colour, the flaring of their nostrils and the smell of their breath.

In addition to the dinosaurs, the park will include displays showing the development of Earth from the big bang to the creation of oceans and mountains, before arriving in the age of the dinosaurs. An adjoining exhibition hall will house temporary exhibitions, some of which are likely to be loaned from the Natural History Museum’s collection in London.

The park will be the first overseas venture by the museum, famous for its 85ft-long replica diplodocus skeleton and library of specimens collected by Charles Darwin.

The museum is being advised by Jack Horner, an American palaeontologist who worked on Spielberg’s film. Horner said: “Jurassic Park was a drama first and foremost; this time everyone wants it to be accurate.

“We don’t know exactly what plants were like back then but we can make educated guesses based on fossil remains and related plant species. The Jurassic habitat was somewhere between the English moors and the Serengeti.

“The idea is that scientists will be able to visit the park without picking holes in it.”

The Dubai project is the first of a series of four scientific theme park-style attractions which the museum plans to develop overseas.

For Dubai, the dinosaur attraction is the latest in a string of mega-projects as it repackages itself from oil-rich micro-state to international tourist resort.

It will be part of a new development six miles from the coast in an area called City of Arabia.

The emirate’s construction boom, overseen by Sheikh Mohammed, has seen the building of artificial islands, one of the world’s tallest towers and its hallmark, the Burj Al Arab, a giant sail-shaped hotel.

Its western cultural imports will include a branch of the New York-based Guggenheim museum, designed by Frank Gehry and due to open in 2012. A branch of the Louvre is also set to open in nearby Abu Dhabi.
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #809
Omaro
Tranced32

Expect the unexpected in Dubai
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #810
Mr. Met

He is a few links to construction projects in Dubai:

http://www.theworld.ae/
http://www.thepalm.ae/
http://www.dubaisportscity.ae/
http://www.dubaitowersdubai.com/
http://www.dubaiinternetcity.com/
Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #811
Omaro
Tranced32

Talking about stating the obvious...
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #812
Mr. Met

Mr. Met no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #813
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

Dubai to Build the World's Largest Arch Bridge in 2012

FXFOWLE INTERNATIONAL’s proposal for the architectural design of a 1.7km and 205m bridge in Dubai was selected by the country’s Roads & Transport Authority in a major international design competition. The firm’s winning bridge design further advances the infrastructure and transportation initiatives in IMG]httDubai. FXFOWLE’s design makes the 6th Crossing the largest and tallest spanning arch bridge in the world. Sudhir Jambhekar, Senior Partner, FXFOWLE INTERNATIONAL stated, “The bridge’s design was inspired by multiple sources, each evoking similar imagery – the rhythmic grace of Dubai Creek’s current, the elegant splendor of the sand dunes adjacent to the City, the lighting patterns of the lunar cycle and the design of the future Opera House. We believe that our bridge design is not merely to link the City’s cultural and commercial developments or ease congestion, but an opportunity to connect people both physically and emotionally by creating an iconic landmark, destination, and gateway between the old, the new and the future Dubai.”

Here's some info on the bridge as envisioned by New York architecture firm http://www.fxfowle.com/:

- It's one mile long and 670 feet tall.
- It will have 12 lanes for traffic.
- It will cost 817 million dollars.
- The design has Sheikh Mohammed's official stamp of approval.
- The bridge will carry more than 2,000 vehicles per hour in each direction.
- A metro line will run across the middle.
- Construction begins in March, with a slated completion date of 2012.
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #814
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Wow... that bridge looks amazing...
And what a massive project it would be...
Old February 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #815
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 101

I don't know where to start with Dubai, amazing.

How did all this construction kick off, did the government realise oil reserves won't last forever and so decided to create a tourist destination?
1878EFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #816
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Yes.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #817
skynet126

stunning bridge
skynet126 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #818
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

the bridge looks so wonderful, probably the best bridge i've ever seen
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #819
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Omar View Post
Dubai to Build the World's Largest Arch Bridge in 2012

FXFOWLE INTERNATIONAL’s proposal for the architectural design of a 1.7km and 205m bridge in Dubai was selected by the country’s Roads & Transport Authority in a major international design competition. The firm’s winning bridge design further advances the infrastructure and transportation initiatives in IMG]httDubai. FXFOWLE’s design makes the 6th Crossing the largest and tallest spanning arch bridge in the world. Sudhir Jambhekar, Senior Partner, FXFOWLE INTERNATIONAL stated, “The bridge’s design was inspired by multiple sources, each evoking similar imagery – the rhythmic grace of Dubai Creek’s current, the elegant splendor of the sand dunes adjacent to the City, the lighting patterns of the lunar cycle and the design of the future Opera House. We believe that our bridge design is not merely to link the City’s cultural and commercial developments or ease congestion, but an opportunity to connect people both physically and emotionally by creating an iconic landmark, destination, and gateway between the old, the new and the future Dubai.”

Here's some info on the bridge as envisioned by New York architecture firm http://www.fxfowle.com/:

- It's one mile long and 670 feet tall.
- It will have 12 lanes for traffic.
- It will cost 817 million dollars.
- The design has Sheikh Mohammed's official stamp of approval.
- The bridge will carry more than 2,000 vehicles per hour in each direction.
- A metro line will run across the middle.
- Construction begins in March, with a slated completion date of 2012.

Man that's hot.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #820
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

FFS!! Thats twice you have unnecessarily quoted entire posts with pics skyscraperhighrise!!!
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote