daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #821
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Looks AWESOME!
Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #822
IslandSon.PH
worship, play, worship

Likes (Received): 356

it's massive! truly only in dubai..

Tatlong bituin at Isang araw, Walong sinag.
Kahit kanino Di kami natinag.
7107 pulo. Isang lahi, Isang dugo.
IslandSon.PH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #823
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

It's going to be the most beautifull bridge ever!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #824
WASHINGTON INSIDER

Location: The Capital Of The World--Washington D.C.!!; Great Falls, VA
Likes (Received): 4

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
To put things into perspective, each of the larger arches on the bridge are taller than the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, which rises 630 feet!
WASHINGTON INSIDER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM   #825
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

City on the Gulf: Koolhaas Lays Out a Grand Urban Experiment in Dubai

Rem Koolhaas’s vision for a development in Dubai mixes the bold and the nondescript.

By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
Published: March 3, 2008
nytimes.com

It has been 12 years since the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas unleashed his concept of “the generic city,” a sprawling metropolis of repetitive buildings centered on an airport and inhabited by a tribe of global nomads with few local loyalties. His argument was that in its profound sameness, the generic city was a more accurate reflection of contemporary urban reality than nostalgic visions of New York or Paris.

Now he may get a chance to create his own version.

Designed for one of the biggest developers in the United Arab Emirates, Nakheel, Mr. Koolhaas’s master plan for the proposed 1.5-billion-square-foot Waterfront City in Dubai would simulate the density of Manhattan on an artificial island just off the Persian Gulf. A mix of nondescript towers and occasional bold architectural statements, it would establish Dubai as a center of urban experimentation as well as one of the world’s fastest growing metropolises.

The mixed-use project, startling in scale, is a carefully considered critique not just of the generic city but of a potentially greater evil: the growing use of high-end architecture as a tool for self-promotion. To Mr. Koolhaas this strategy, which many architects refer to as the Bilbao syndrome, reduces cities to theme parks of architectural tchotchkes that mask an underlying homogeneity.

His strategy is not to reject either trend outright but to locate each one’s hidden, untapped potential, or as he puts it, “to find optimism in the inevitable.”

In Dubai Mr. Koolhaas and his Office for Metropolitan Architecture seem at first glance to have simply combined the two concepts, creating a hybrid of the generic and the fantastic. The core of the development would be the island, which would be divided into 25 identical blocks. Neat rows of towers — some tall and slender, others short and squat, depending on the zoning — line the blocks, as if a fragment of Manhattan had been removed with a scalpel and reinserted in the Middle East.

The monotony is broken by mixed-use structures whose immense scale and formal energy draw on mythic examples from architectural history. A spiraling 82-story tower might have been inspired by the minaret of the ninth-century Great Mosque of Samarra in Iraq; a gargantuan 44-story sphere brings to mind the symbolic forms of the 18th-century architect Étienne-Louis Boullée. The tilting intertwined towers of a complex dubbed “the loop” are a more elaborate version of Mr. Koolhaas’s headquarters for China Central Television, being built in Beijing.

These varied elements are organized with Mr. Koolhaas’s customary flair for composition. (Although his desire to tackle big urban issues can sometimes make him seem dismissive of the design work that makes up the average architect’s life, he remains one of the art’s greatest practitioners.)

The island project would be a perfect square, emphasizing its isolation. The tallest towers are concentrated along the project’s southern edge to shield the interior blocks from the blazing sun. The gigantic sphere is placed precariously at the water’s edge, setting the entire ensemble artfully off balance. The spiraling tower stands just across from it, on a narrow spit of land that forms a barrier between the island and the gulf.

The way Mr. Koolhaas addresses the island’s isolation raises the most difficult questions. If his island of densely packed towers evokes a fragment of the great 20th-century metropolis, it can also conjure its dystopian twin: a miniaturized version of a city of glittering towers built for the global elite, barricaded against the urban poor and its makeshift shantytowns. (Think of George A. Romero’s 2005 flick, “Land of the Dead,” with its menacing corporate masters peering down on a world of faceless zombies.)

Mr. Koolhaas softens this effect by creating a series of somewhat tenuous connections to other developments on the mainland. Along with four slender bridges — one on each side of the square — Mr. Koolhaas plans to link the project to the fledging Dubai transit system, which is already under construction. More towers would rise opposite the island on a curved embankment, as if the island city were spilling beyond its boundaries.

But the thrust of his strategy is to turn the logic of the gated community on its head: isolation becomes a way to trap urban energy rather than keep it out. His goal is to imbue his waterfront enclave with enough complexity to provide a distilled version of the great metropolis within this moated sanctuary.

A model of Rem Koolhaas’s Waterfront City in Dubai.

A waterfront boardwalk would surround the island. A narrow public park slices through its center; shaded sidewalk arcades are meant to draw people out of the air-conditioned buildings. In its northeastern reaches the plan’s geometric grid gives way to an intimate warren of alleyways, like a traditional souk.

Mr. Koolhaas takes a similarly textured approach to the buildings themselves. The sphere, for instance, is conceived as a self-contained three-dimensional urban neighborhood. Various public institutions are encased within smaller spheres suspended inside the space that are connected by escalators enclosed in long tubes. These smaller spheres are embedded in layers of residential housing, like embryos floating in a womb.

A rendering envisioning the interior of the project’s 44-story sphere.

In the spiral tower terraces wrap around a soaring public atrium crisscrossed with escalators and walkways, an effort to pull the surrounding street life right up through the interiors.

Will it work? Some of the public zones, still in the earliest stages of design, are surprisingly conventional, including the formal arrangement of the park, which could be likened to the Champs-Élysées. So far the boardwalks framing the project lack the intricate layering of public and private spaces found, say, on the Corniche in Beirut.

Whatever his social goals, Mr. Koolhaas will have little control over the makeup of this community, which, if current development in waterfront Dubai is any indication, is still likely to serve a small wealthy elite.

Then there is the question of scale. Covering six and a half square miles, the island is roughly the size of a small urban neighborhood. Is this large enough to sustain the dense social fabric that Mr. Koolhaas is after? Or is it more likely to become a new species of gated enclave, architecturally stupendous yet profoundly exclusionary? Does its compact size make it easier to seal off from supposed undesirables?

Whatever the answers, Mr. Koolhaas’s design proves once again that he is one of the few architects willing to face the crisis of the contemporary city — from its growing superficiality to its deadening sterility — without flinching.

If he fails he at least will have raised questions that most architects would prefer to leave safely unexplored. If he succeeds he could bring us closer to a model of a city that is not only formally complex, but genuinely open to the impure.
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #826
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

so that spiral tower is 82 floors , think it will be over 300m tall
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM   #827
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

The square "island" itself is not artificial and off the coast, the waterways around it are (man-made).
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM   #828
Don Omar

good point

- Beastie Boys
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #829
AltinD
The Modecator

A complex of three towers is being launched in Dubai Marina: 2 x 90 floors and 1 x 100 floors.
I can cheat you blind.

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #830
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Just to tell you guys, this thread is now obsolete. If someone wants to make a new thread then go ahead.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #831
Michael_23

Likes (Received): 1

The building of a ball (or eye) shape is amazing. I wonder if it's possible to construct such one...
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #832
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

the Koolhaas project...stunning!!!!!!!!!!!
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #833
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Dragon View Post
The building of a ball (or eye) shape is amazing. I wonder if it's possible to construct such one...
anything is possible in dubai..... i mean anything
Old March 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #834
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Dragon View Post
for sure it can be build
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #835
Don Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Just to tell you guys, this thread is now obsolete. If someone wants to make a new thread then go ahead.
good call

nose goes

- Beastie Boys
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #836
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Omar View Post

Rem Koolhaas’s vision for a development in Dubai mixes the bold and the nondescript.

A rendering envisioning the interior of the project’s 44-story sphere.
That is pretty damn amazing.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #837
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

Does anyone know this project? I'm searching for it on Skyscrapercity but I really can't find it...

http://www.convrgnt.com/EXPRESSION%2...ER%20AWARD.pdf
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #838
AltinD
The Modecator

The "news" was old. Maybe that tower was redesigned.
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM   #839
LoverOfDubai

Likes (Received): 0

I was unsure about where to ask about this, so I hope it is okay if I do it here.

How cyclist-friendly is Dubai? Are there many places around the city where there are designated bike lanes? Do any residents of Dubai ever see cyclists?
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #840
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchay View Post
Masterplanning Dubai

1. Downtown Burj Dubai & SZRoad

2. Jumeirah Gardens
[img]http://i33.************/f9ifk1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i37.************/2yw8wvd.jpg[/img]

3. Business Bay Dubai
[img]http://i26.************/29pd7hc.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i30.************/spuro8.jpg[/img]

4. Dubai Marina & Jumeirah Lake Towers
[img]http://i35.************/116iekk.jpg[/img]

5. The Lagoons, Dubai Creek

image hosted on flickr

6. Waterfront Island (Dubai's world financial centre) & Madinat Al Arab

7. Nakheel Harbour

8. Mohd. Rashid Gardens

[img]http://i33.************/20gh1eh.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i38.************/ouxqtu.jpg[/img]

9. The World & The Palm Trilogy Dubai

[img]http://i37.************/21e2hzc.jpg[/img]

Palm Deira Front Island

Palm Jebel Ali (theme park on Palm jebel >>http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1000)

Palm Jumeirah

Dubai Maritime City

10. Arabian Canal City, Dubai

11. Meydan City & Godolphin River City
[img]http://i38.************/125gj83.jpg[/img] [img]http://i33.************/2d2qtc.jpg[/img]

12. Dubai World Central - the world's largest airport city

13. Mizin Cities, Within DubaiLand
(A) Majan City (across City of Arabia)
[img]http://i36.************/6gepp4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i34.************/svl4eh.jpg[/img]

(B) Liwan City (across Dubai Silicon Oasis)

image hosted on flickr

(C) Arjan City (near Dubai Media City) + location site for Dubai Wheel
[img]http://i34.************/1hrpsw.jpg[/img]
Recently launched Eye Park in Arjan City

Arjan City (overlapped with Liwan City)

14. City of Arabia, DubaiLand

image hosted on flickr

City of Arabia will be home to world's future largest mall and world's first dinosaur theme park.

15. The City of Asmaran + Bawadi Square, part of Bawadi in DubaiLand
See the following video and be thrilled:
http://www.flamingcgi.com/us_news_archive.php?id=23
image hosted on flickr

16. Falcon City of Wonders, DubaiLand

17. Dubai Sports City

18. Al Bawadi, DubaiLand

19. Dubai Media Cities TECOM

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare

Last edited by patchay; November 24th, 2008 at 01:46 PM.
patchay no está en línea   Reply With Quote