daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1
danm

Likes (Received): 264

Goldman Sachs Headquarters | City of London | 9 fl | Demo

The new Goldman Sachs HQ development on Shoe Lane and Farringdon Street, near Holborn in The City has been approved today. The building will be 9 floors.

Quote:
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...plan-approved/

Goldman Sachs London HQ plan approved
Aaron Morby | Tue 26th March | 7:24

Goldman Sachs plans to move to a new site near Crossrail's Farringdon Station

Plans for a new headquarters for US investment bank Goldman Sachs in the City of London have been approved.

The investment bank aims to build a 1.2m sq ft office complex near Holborn Viaduct in central London on the site of the existing 13-storey Fleet Building at Shoe Lane.

Goldham Sach’s development arm estimates the nine-storey building would take around four years to build, including demolition, and employ around 500 construction workers annually.

Full planning is subject to a formal response from the London Mayor and a section 106 agreement.

Once cleared, Goldman Sachs will go ahead with the demolition of the empty 1960s former telephone exchange that fronts Farringdon Street and Shoe Lane. Construction is then expected to start in early 2014.

The project team includes architect Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates, cost consultant EC Harris and structural engineer WSP.

The area is currently being revitalised with several major office schemes in the pipeline ahead of the Crossrail’s Farringdon station opening as a major London transport interchange.

Existing former telephone exchange building awaiting demolition.

Last edited by danm; March 27th, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
danm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 26th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #2
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Disgusting obviously because its Goldman Sachs this was approved.Whats good about this building?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #3
Bowater

Likes (Received): 78

The present building looks better. Austerity Goldman style?

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Bowater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4
SkyScraperRaper

Likes (Received): 84

Awesome building, another positive for London's skyline, get the wrecking ball on that telephone exchange building now!

philb liked this post
SkyScraperRaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
danm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowater View Post
Can't be serious?
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #6
SkyScraperRaper

Likes (Received): 84

He has got to be joking....although some ppl like brutalism.

For me that concrete mess is an embarrassment on our city's skyline as are all the other similar buildings in London. These buildings are dominating, unwelcoming, dirty looking. When I see one of these buildings demolished it is such a relief. It is like cleansing the city of crap. Feels as good as having a much needed dump.

George Costanza, stinkysteel liked this post
SkyScraperRaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

Goldman are so stingy it's unbelievable. There will be people in that building earning £20m per annum, and yet the building looks like every other crappy office block... and their contribution to the streetscape is just a ring of bomb-proof bollards.

stinkysteel liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #8
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1629

Shame Goldman Sachs took no interest in re-installing the Grade 2 listed Dorothy Annan murals that ran across the front of the old building.

They've now been respositioned at the Barbican.

George Costanza liked this post
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Legal Beagle

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowater View Post
I assume he means the building Goldmans are currently in on Fleet Street rather than this sh*theap.
Legal Beagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #10
ThatOneGuy
Here We Are Now

Likes (Received): 8881

The one in the picture just above is far worse than this one (which isn't actually all that bad)

I'll take it in my city if you all don't want it!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #11
danm

Old March 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #12
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

This building, whilst an improvement on the derelict buildings at present is quite a 90’s throwback. Huge groundscrapers that don’t do anything for the wider area. Would it have been that bad to at least open up some of the site?

I can’t see this project being the must see thread when it eventually starts construction.

George Costanza, stinkysteel liked this post
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #13
jake-potato

Likes (Received): 183

Quite easy to see why the design is so bland - had it been 'interesting', there would be the inevitable uproar about the occupiers.
Old March 27th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Aughton

Likes (Received): 7

I quite like this one.

I used to work in the Shoe Lane/Fetter Lane region about 20 years ago - it was a pretty miserable place back then and the recent-ish developments in the area have improved it beyond measure.
Aughton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #15
hifive605

Likes (Received): 33

well the second render is much better.. but groundscapers are still the jabba the hutts of urban design
hifive605 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #16
danm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aughton View Post
I quite like this one.

I used to work in the Shoe Lane/Fetter Lane region about 20 years ago - it was a pretty miserable place back then and the recent-ish developments in the area have improved it beyond measure.
It has improved but the area between Chancery Lane and Fleet Street/Ludgate Hill is still pretty dull. There are newer, nicer buildings but the area is hemmed in and quite sterile/bland. The boarded up telephone exchange building on Shoe Lane (fortunately being demolished as part of this development) only adds to the dull atmosphere of the area. They really need to attract more retail/leisure outlets to this corner of the City. If they did then it could become a warren of interesting streets, but at present it's just boring and lifeless.
Old March 27th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #17
potto

Likes (Received): 1807

the whole area is devoid of a feeling of a desire to visit let alone hang about in! It has become a enroute location despite the desperate hollow rebranding exercise from the estate agents. Certainly as far between Smithfields and Middle/Outer Temple upto Holborn, I guess its the flaw of this area, with a preference give to office space where its attractive to big occupiers but we cant build tall because of St Pauls. Not much scope for mixed mode buildings here.

This building reminds me of the Sainsburys building and that new one next to Holborn Viaduct where they probably looked shiny at the beginning but soon become forgettable and a tad irritating. I don't particularly mind the sold bulk with clean lines, it isn't unattractive it's just devoid of anything offering a moment of intrigue or distraction to create a diversion. New Fetter Lane is of similar bland corporate architecture but like More London and Broadgate complex etc manage to provide a certain pull and personality.

There was talk of opening up the river fleet along Farringdon Road but nothing came of it, this area certainly needs a big statement scheme like that to make it worthy of its history.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Aughton

Likes (Received): 7

Ahh well - each to his own.

I like the Sainsbury building, especially in comparison to the Mirror building that it replaced.

The area has always been a bit a no-man's land between the city and the west end -but its a whole lot better than it used to be
Aughton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #19
potto

Likes (Received): 1807

sure its clean, solid, certainly not unattractive, I guess the area has too many big monolithic blocks built since the 1970s replacing the previous Victorian fancies that titillated with superfluous detail and skyline intrigue. The area needs something a long the lines of a statement piece to distract from the clean lines and dull cavenorous 1970s road layouts. The Smithfields redevelopment could go either way and the uncovering of the River Fleet is unlikely. Shame Goldman Sachs couldnt do a More London or Broadgate. Dam those sightlines, although Fetter Lane seemed to get away with poking up rather awkwardly!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #20
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1629

This is an astonishing amount of space in one building, this is slightly more than the Minerva Tower if I'm not mistaken. It was obvious the City were never going to say no to Goldman Sachs, but their arrogance knows no bounds.

This has to be one of if not the last, massive 1960s post-war plots in the City capable of taking schemes like this. It makes you wonder what the City would have done if this amount of space wasn't available.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: