daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #61
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 01:12 AM   #62
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Mansions At Acqualina Tops Off, Now Fifth-Tallest In Florida

Last edited by desertpunk; April 9th, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #63
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Nice shots featured by the ExMiami people. I don't know why they named that website that. Sounds strange.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old April 21st, 2014, 01:40 AM   #64
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

My photo threads:

Old April 29th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #65
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

My photo threads:

mia183rd, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:18 AM   #66
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

My photo threads:

Old May 25th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #67
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

My photo threads:

Old June 19th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #68
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2091

These have to be the ugliest American buildings built in the last 40-50 years. Even Dubai doesn't have anything this tacky.

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #69
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
These have to be the ugliest American buildings built in the last 40-50 years. Even Dubai doesn't have anything this tacky.
And yet they sell out. Just like those Lucien LaGrange nightmares in Chicago, Trump's Pomo crap is very popular with buyers. Money can't buy taste...

2014 04 24 miami (109) by antonio.ciliberti, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; April 5th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #70
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Sunny Isles Beach just got its first building over 600 feet tall. That's all I care about.

My photo threads:

Old June 19th, 2014, 04:06 AM   #71
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Sunny Isles Beach just got its first building over 600 feet tall. That's all I care about.
This is 18 feet taller than the Miami Tower (or whatever the heck it's called now). It makes sense why you're a pure numbers guy. Aesthetically, Miami is scraping the bottom of the barrel lately. You would point to these buildings as an additional reason why Miami/metro Miami should be considered the 3rd best skyline in the US, while I would point to these buildings as an additional reason to leave Miami out of the Top 10.

I'm convinced that if they built a 900' tower out of petrified feces in downtown Miami, you would brag about your city's new 900' tower.....

Old June 19th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #72
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
T You would point to these buildings as an additional reason why Miami/metro Miami should be considered the 3rd best skyline in the US, while I would point to these buildings as an additional reason to leave Miami out of the Top 10.
I've always maintained that Miami now has the 3rd largest skyline in the US, which it has, not the 3rd best. Where did I ever say it was the 3rd best?

My photo threads:

Old June 19th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #73
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Aesthetically, Miami is scraping the bottom of the barrel lately.

I'm convinced that if they built a 900' tower out of petrified feces in downtown Miami, you would brag about your city's new 900' tower.....

Starchitecture sprouting everywhere in Miami.

And your last comment is straight up trolling. That's a dark alley you're going down...

Old June 19th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #74
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Starchitecture sprouting everywhere in Miami.

And your last comment is straight up trolling. That's a dark alley you're going down...
I always consider where these people are from and what's going on there when they make such statements.

My photo threads:

Old June 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #75
DZH22

Quote:
I always consider where these people are from and what's going on there when they make such statements.
What's going on where I'm from? We are about to enter the biggest boom in my city's history, and most of the buildings are high-quality, top notch designs.

I'll admit we do get some crappy buildings, but they are uniquely crappy, and not near-clones of other crappy buildings in the city.

My last comment may be straight up trolling, but when you say "I'm happy to see a building this tall somewhere, aesthetics be damned" it says a lot about where you are coming from as well. The height is literally the only redeeming quality about these buildings, but when they are THIS ugly/tacky, the height is actually the opposite of redeeming. Cause, ya know, they're visible. Yuck.

Old June 19th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #76
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
You would point to these buildings as an additional reason why Miami/metro Miami should be considered the 3rd best skyline in the US,
Here, you are literally putting words in my mouth. I would do no such thing. Aesthetics are a matter of personal taste, choice, and opinion. I prefer to stick with hard, cold statistical facts because you can't argue with that. What's happening in Boston is nothing compared to what's happening in South Florida, so if you think your city is booming, I'm happy for you. If you don't like Mansions at Acqualina for whatever reason, fine. Just to don't come across like a shithead for no good reason. I never do! You sound like you're hiding hatred behind an honest opinion as people often do.

Quote:
My last comment may be straight up trolling, but when you say "I'm happy to see a building this tall somewhere, aesthetics be damned" it says a lot about where you are coming from as well.
You are not quoting me verbatim here, so you don't use quotation marks. You are using them the wrong way and again, this is putting words in my mouth. I believe this style of architecture being used for Mansions at Acqualina is called Mediterranean Revivial and I personally do not care for it. It would look better in Coral Gables where Mediterraneann Revival is all other the place and I truly do not like it. I would have preferred something that looked more modern for Sunny Isles Beach, but I'm not going to have a demonstration on a vacant lot saying don't build this kind of architecture here.

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, desertpunk liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; June 20th, 2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old June 20th, 2014, 02:22 PM   #77
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

Kind of boxy and boring. I'd want my "mansion" to show a little more class and flair.

Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM   #78
DZH22

Quote:
Here, you are literally putting words in my mouth. I would do no such thing. Aesthetics are a matter of personal taste, choice, and opinion. I prefer to stick with hard, cold statistical facts because you can't argue with that.
You don't have to say something exactly to still be saying it. Your last line here completely backs up the points I made. 643' is 643', regardless of design/materials/etc.

Quote:
You are not quoting me verbatim here, so you don't use quotation marks.
You're right. I tend to just use quotes to signify a specific thought, but you're right that technically they don't belong here. I still stand by what I said though, without the quotes.

Lots of changes going on. I'm willing to play the "wait and see" approach. If the new tallests that Miami gets are high enough quality and stand out from the schlock, it could be enough to radically alter my opinions here. Both Chicago and NYC have an enormous amount of terrible buildings, but they are overshadowed. That's not the case yet in Miami, but it could be.

By the way, Boston just got a new mayor (after 20 years of the old one) who has a radically different viewpoint, and is ready to build UP. There has been a huge amount of construction, but mostly in the lower-height areas. For example, both the Seaport and Cambridge's Kendall Square areas have essentially doubled in size over the last few years. Also, while the old mayor kowtowed to NIMBYs for about 19.5 years, he decided he still wanted part of his legacy to be "the mayor who changed Boston's skyline", so all the projects that were languishing for years got completely approved in a short amount of time toward the end of his last term. We have no chance of matching Miami's quantity, but over the next few years the boom should match up pretty well with, say, Philadelphia's, and every design for the skyline-changers is solid. I also think our skyline benefits because there isn't the demand for external balconies, which I find are practical but ugly.

Have you ever actually been to Boston? Completely different urban experience from Southern cities. I will admit I would like to see Miami again in person. I judge it based on pictures, but it's tough to truly appreciate (or make an informed opinion about) a skyline until you see it in real life. Maybe then I would be as impressed by it as you are.

Old June 21st, 2014, 08:23 PM   #79
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
You don't have to say something exactly to still be saying it. Your last line here completely backs up the points I made. 643' is 643', regardless of design/materials/etc.
No, it's a preference that is not subject to argument because it's based on objectivity, not subjectivity. There is a lot architecture I don't like, but I don't argue with people about it because it's all very subjective and arbitrary, like everything that you're saying. It's just personal preference and opinion, and I get tired of arguing about such stuff. That's where I'm really coming from.

My photo threads:

Old June 21st, 2014, 10:44 PM   #80
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
You would point to these buildings as an additional reason why Miami/metro Miami should be considered the 3rd best skyline in the US, while I would point to these buildings as an additional reason to leave Miami out of the Top 10.

Quote:
You don't have to say something exactly to still be saying it.
Again, what you are saying I would do is something I would never do. I would do no such thing. I am not saying what you are saying I'm saying.

My photo threads:

Tags
mansions at acqualina, miami, sunny isles, sunny isles beach