daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2014, 11:46 PM   #81
mia183rd

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
These have to be the ugliest American buildings built in the last 40-50 years. Even Dubai doesn't have anything this tacky.

You're just sour that this building would be the 3rd tallest in your city

DZH22, get a life and stop hating

QuantumX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
mia183rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:05 AM   #82
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Thanks for weighing in on this one. I wish more of the Miami forum would venture out of the forum, but they seem to find the Miami forum interesting enough with all that's going on down here. As I said, I really don't care for Mediterranean Revival myself. In fact, there are lots of building around the world that others think are great architecture that I'm glad we won't see in Miami.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:27 AM   #83
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

This rendering is actually called Florida Mediterranean Revival as an example of what the architecture looks like. As you can see from the rendering of Mansions at Acqualina and Acqualina next door, somebody decided to put it into a skyscraper. I wouldn't have done it myself because I really do not like the style. I prefer more contemporary designs, but I give the architect some credit for thinking outside the box and putting the style into a skyscraper.

Florida%20Mediterranean%20Revival by Quantum2010, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Location: Sunny Isles Beach (next door to the existing Acqualina Tower)

http://floridafuturehome.com/10887/d...s_at_Acqualina

=======================================================================

Acqualina Resort and Spa Announces Exciting Expansion
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:51 PM   #84
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

My photo threads:

Old June 24th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #85
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I went by the sales office of Mansions at Acqualina today and specifically asked the sales representative what style of architecture it was being done in. He said that Acqualina, the tower that is already completed, was Mediterranean based on classical Italian architecture. He said that Mansions at Acqualina was actually contemporary classical, so I looked it up and found this:

http://www.pinterest.com/Enso/contem...-architecture/

Quote:
These have to be the ugliest American buildings built in the last 40-50 years. Even Dubai doesn't have anything this tacky.
Read the above link and learn! That goes for you too, Juan Paulo

CSC_0962 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_0946 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_0949 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

CSC_0961 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_0953 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_0956 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_0955 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_0957 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

CSC_0959 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, desertpunk liked this post
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #86
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Read the above link and learn! That goes for you too, Juan Paulo
It's not ugly because of the style. It's ugly because of the execution. Notice how none of the buildings in your link have 3 clashing colors? They're all monotone, simple, elegant. The opposite of this tower. If you're colorblind I will forgive you. (in this case you would be lucky!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia183rd View Post
You're just sour that this building would be the 3rd tallest in your city

DZH22, get a life and stop hating
3rd tallest, but #1 eyesore. We actually have 2 buildings coming that I think will both eclipse this (Millennium is 625' to top floor, but could be over 650' to architectural top).

Also, worth noting, but Boston has had a taller building than Miami since.... I don't know..... forever? Right now, while our current tallests are comparable in height, yours is a hot mess that needs a random bar across the top to gain those extra feet, while ours drips with class and is probably the greatest example of "minimalism" on the planet. It would be bar-none the best looking building in your city. (followed by SWFC or Wachovia or whatever you are calling it now, that's still a gorgeous tower)

So, guess I don't see why I would be jealous? We have arguably the best urban area in the country up here, top 3 walkability in North America and on pace for #1. We have an upcoming boom that offers substantial variety, quality, height (4 buildings on deck in the 600-700' range, with potential new tallests looming and a new mayor who wants it to happen) and harmonious integration with the existing urban fabric. We don't have all the towers in the park, or massive quantity of tacky/dull residentials with balconies, and we don't care.

So why did I comment at all? Frankly, because I'm ashamed that towers like this would be built in my country. I'm disgusted and I hope Miami holds itself to higher standards going forward..... But I'm not holding my breath.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #87
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
It's not ugly because of the style. It's ugly because of the execution. Notice how none of the buildings in your link have 3 clashing colors? They're all monotone, simple, elegant. The opposite of this tower. If you're colorblind I will forgive you. (in this case you would be lucky!)
It's just the tropical color palette. It's just the way it is here. It's just a reflection of the culture down here, just like a lot of the buildings in Dubai and China that people don't like are just a reflection of that culture. That's all.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; June 25th, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:00 AM   #88
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Sunny Isles Beach by thehoorse24, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Old June 26th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #89
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
And yet they sell out. Just like those Lucien LaGrange nightmares in Chicago, Trump's Pomo crap is very popular with buyers. Money can't buy taste...
Per the sales rep I spoke to the other day, it's 90% sold.

My photo threads:

Old June 27th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #90
mia183rd

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:

3rd tallest, but #1 eyesore. We actually have 2 buildings coming that I think will both eclipse this (Millennium is 625' to top floor, but could be over 650' to architectural top).

Also, worth noting, but Boston has had a taller building than Miami since.... I don't know..... forever? Right now, while our current tallests are comparable in height, yours is a hot mess that needs a random bar across the top to gain those extra feet, while ours drips with class and is probably the greatest example of "minimalism" on the planet. It would be bar-none the best looking building in your city. (followed by SWFC or Wachovia or whatever you are calling it now, that's still a gorgeous tower)

So, guess I don't see why I would be jealous? We have arguably the best urban area in the country up here, top 3 walkability in North America and on pace for #1. We have an upcoming boom that offers substantial variety, quality, height (4 buildings on deck in the 600-700' range, with potential new tallests looming and a new mayor who wants it to happen) and harmonious integration with the existing urban fabric. We don't have all the towers in the park, or massive quantity of tacky/dull residentials with balconies, and we don't care.

So why did I comment at all? Frankly, because I'm ashamed that towers like this would be built in my country. I'm disgusted and I hope Miami holds itself to higher standards going forward..... But I'm not holding my breath.

You have to be kidding me, we have more under construction in one neighborhood in Sunny Isles Beach then you do in your entire city so please with this boom you talk about, and on height you have had us beat by 1 foot but we have an 830' tower u/c so that ends that, like I've said before get a life and congratulate another American city that is actually experiencing a boom rather then some punk from some old little city that likes to talk about one

mia183rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #91
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I've always been happy to see any American city booming. As I've said many times before now, I've been following booms across the country for 40 years now.

My photo threads:

Old June 27th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #92
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Boston is experiencing a pretty big boom but is mostly low and mid-rises. Great architecture and urbanity improvements, though.

If anyone cares they can check out archboston.org
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #93
Stewp

Likes (Received): 9

I honestly don't think it's tacky for a city like Miami. Of course if this was built in the Northeast it wouldn't make sense and would look awful, but Miami is a city of bright colors and is considered the gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. I think it's appropriate that our high rises have a more tropical, bright and joyful look to them.

Stewp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #94
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewp View Post
I honestly don't think it's tacky for a city like Miami. Of course if this was built in the Northeast it wouldn't make sense and would look awful, but Miami is a city of bright colors and is considered the gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. I think it's appropriate that our high rises have a more tropical, bright and joyful look to them.
yeah I agree. It has a nice tropical vibe and suites Miami well enough.

Stewp, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #95
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31754

I personally don't like the Aqualina's. And I understand and LOVE Miami's design style. I think there is just too much of everything on these buildings. Too much color, too much decorative detail. Its like it tries to hard to bland too many different things. Just my 2 cents.

Stewp, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:22 PM   #96
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

7/4

CSC_1187 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_1185 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

CSC_1195 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

CSC_1196 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_1194 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

CSC_1200 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

DSC_1199 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Old July 26th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #97
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

7/24

Quote:
CSC_0094 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #98
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

8/8

Aqualina Mansions Miami Beach by miamiresidential, on Flickr

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #99
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I started to shoot that again today, but they hadn't made much progress on the crown. That is when I want to shoot it again.

My photo threads:

desertpunk, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old August 24th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #100
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I started to shoot that again today, but they hadn't made much progress on the crown. That is when I want to shoot it again.
DSC_0087 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

CSC_0086 by Quantum2010, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Tags
mansions at acqualina, miami, sunny isles, sunny isles beach