daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #381
monkey1

Likes (Received): 3

My pics of the New Delhi Metro..circa January 2008.

monkey1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #382
monkey1

NEw DELHI METRO PICS....JANUARY 2008

Old February 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #383
sniperz11

Likes (Received): 0

Can delhi-ites answer a few questions for me please:

1. Do the stations have automated token vending machines? This is common in many metro rails, and will save time.

2. Security - What type of security do the stations have. Is this common for all stations? Has there been any dilution of security in the past few years

3. Number of coaches per train - is it still 4? Most cities have 6 coaches, and IIRC, Delhi station platforms are long enough to handle upto 8 coaches. Is there any plan to increase the number of coaches?

4. Feeder bus services - this is one area that I've heard some grumble over. Has it improved in recent times? Coz most successful MRTs seamlessly integrate Metro rail with bus services, most notably in Singapore.

Please excuse if these qns have already been answered. Just looking for updated info.
sniperz11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #384
monkey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperz11 View Post
Can delhi-ites answer a few questions for me please:

1. Do the stations have automated token vending machines? This is common in many metro rails, and will save time.

2. Security - What type of security do the stations have. Is this common for all stations? Has there been any dilution of security in the past few years

3. Number of coaches per train - is it still 4? Most cities have 6 coaches, and IIRC, Delhi station platforms are long enough to handle upto 8 coaches. Is there any plan to increase the number of coaches?

4. Feeder bus services - this is one area that I've heard some grumble over. Has it improved in recent times? Coz most successful MRTs seamlessly integrate Metro rail with bus services, most notably in Singapore.

Please excuse if these qns have already been answered. Just looking for updated info.

1. I did not see any token vending machines. Service at token booths is efficient and fast. There are separate booths for buying smart cards.

2.Security is present at all stations. One is frisked and bags checked before boarding. Also, fast and efficiently performed.

3. Minimum 6-8 coaches during peak hours is what i observed.

4. The last one i can't answer since my hotel was walking distance from thr Metro train station!!
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #385
sniperz11

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks a lot for that, Monkey1,

Nice to know tht the met is running with more than 4 coaches now... how do delhi-ites find the Metro's effectiveness... I've been hearing conflicting reports from news reports and friends.. Has it reduced traffic congestion? Why this interests me is trying to figure out how effective Namma Metro in B'lore will be.

Cheers
sniperz11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #386
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey1 View Post
4. The last oe i can't answer since my hotel was walking distance from thr Metro train station!!
Great pics there monkey1!

I think i can answer this one...DMRC is working on the feeder services for its metro. Last year it launched a couple of services and will expand it completely to cover all the routes pretty soon!

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #387
Khanrak
SECULARISM

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikramRao View Post
maybe you should visit some of your slums in rio and other cities,

Having visited both India and Rio, I can tell you that while Rio's favelas are quite violent, they are more developed than any slum I've seen in either India or Pakistan. They are also cleaner than the subcontinent's, but compared to Western standards, favelas are still filthy.

Anyways, how is the progress coming along for the Delhi Metro system? Will the network planned for 2010 be completed, or will there be a delay?

Why do states that enforce Sharia always end up as the world's most repressive states?
[/CENTER]
Khanrak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #388
monkey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanrak View Post
Having visited both India and Rio, I can tell you that while Rio's favelas are quite violent, they are more developed than any slum I've seen in either India or Pakistan. They are also cleaner than the subcontinent's, but compared to Western standards, favelas are still filthy.

Anyways, how is the progress coming along for the Delhi Metro system? Will the network planned for 2010 be completed, or will there be a delay?
Pray tell me, what does a slum in Brazil(Rio), India or Pakistan have to do with the New Delhi Metro Train system?.....

Re: your question...i just visited and have posted my impressions and from what i see the system is mighty fine, cleaner than NewYork's subway and many others and from the construction activity going on the system is expanding to encompass the entire National Capital Region(NCR). Bangalore is the 1st city in southern India to get the same system and construction has already begun. I have photos of that too!.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #389
IU
->

Quote:
Yes, stations like Connaught Place and Kashmere gate have automated token vending machines. The others don't need them.

Quote:
Like Monkey1 mentioned, you're frisked when you enter the concourse and bags are checked. Security is handled not by the police but by the CRPF now. They also conduct mock security drills now and then which include mock terrorist attacks (bomb and gas attacks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperz11
DMRC provides its own feeder service to the metro stations from many parts of city and the max price is like Rs5 or something. New services get added almost every other month.

Quote:
Has it reduced traffic congestion? Why this interests me is trying to figure out how effective Namma Metro in B'lore will be.
I'd say that the traffic condition is much better than what it could have become if the metro system wasn't there. Traffic has been building up since hundreds of cars are being added to the city roads each day. With lines being added and present lines being expanded, I am optimistic that in 2010, traffic congestion will greatly be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanrak View Post
All the lines will be ready on or before their scheduled deadlines. For updates and construction images just head to the Delhi metro thread on the Indian subforum.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #390
monkey1

New Delhi Metro....more pics!.

Last edited by monkey1; February 20th, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:15 AM   #391
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

l saw a metal detector with agents, metro could be very safe right now. . .

Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #392
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

They had a mock security drill at 3 stations early one morning. It went quite well, but they said it still wasn't at the level they want it to be.

By the way, I was in Delhi the past few days, and the Metro is going full steam ahead at a number of places, including the 2010 Commonwealth Games village site.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #393
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

What station is that where the guy is leaning against the metal barrier on the platform?

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #394
monkey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
What station is that where the guy is leaning against the metal barrier on the platform?
"Pragati Maidan" station.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #395
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

I see. That station wasn't open when I was in Delhi last time (2006). The design seems different somewhat.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #396
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Hong Kong's Mass Transit Corporation Corporation's Press Release:
MTR Wins HK$128 million Engineering and Project Management Contract for Delhi Airport Metro Project
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #397
monkey1

Cool. An 'Air" train would be great for business travelers.
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #398
IU
->

MUMBAI | Metro

Work on the first line of Mumbai's metro has begun! It is being constructed in Suburban Mumbai from Versova to Ghatkopar and will touch Andheri (a prominent suburb) in between. At Andheri the metro station will be constructed on top of the existing suburban railway station.

The total length of the elevated line is 11.40 kms and is being constructed by a consortium of Reliance Energy (India) - Veolia Transport (France) - MMRDA (India). Work should have started in July 2006 but due to delays in acquiring land amongst other things, it could only begin this month. According to the MD of the project, the first train will roll out by July 2010.

Route map

Many foreign firms have been roped in to design the different parts of the system:
  • MVA,a sister firm of Systra (France) has designed the traffic management plan in order to reduce backups along the route.
  • Sectran (France) has been roped in to design the security plan.
  • The project management consultant is Parsons and Brinckerhoff (USA)
  • Townlands(Hong Kong) has designed several stations along the route.

The following is basic rendering of a station. It is NOT final as the stations have been designed by architects through design competitions. Those designs have yet to be revealed to the public.

Now for some images -

Geo-Technical investigation done some time ago-

Right now, piles are being constructed for load testing along the route. more info -

Quote:
For now, what’s visible along the route is a series of piles being constructed for load-testing. To assess foundation strength, piles 1 metre in diameter will be tested with a 1,100 tonne-load. One test per kilometre is the norm, but “we’re doing additional tests where soil strata changes abruptly” according to Maheshwari. With a 28-day period for each pile to strengthen, the tests will be complete in a month.

Images from this month

The masterplan of the Mumbai Metro consists of 9 lines totaling 146kms. The finer details of Line 2 and line 3 are being worked out right now.

Just to give you folks an idea, the following is the route of lines 1,2,3 agreed by the planning agencies. The exact route for L2, L3 is rudimentary and not final. L2 will be elevated while L3 will be underground from Colaba (South Mumbai) till Bandra and elevated for the rest of the route. This also is not final. As news about them pours in, I'll keep you folks updated.

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #399
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 102

Yay.....good for Mumbai!

And in few months....work will start on Hyderabad metro!

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #400
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

Whow! It was about time! Fantastic! I hope it gets really nice.
Chilenofuturista no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
delhi, delhi metro, kolkata, tram