daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2013, 04:51 AM   #81
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moravian View Post
You see, based on the Treaty of Rapallo signed in 1920 there was border crossing Caccia (Kačja Vas)-Planina after ww1....
Maybe it was these buildings, I don't know. There are many signs of the border left, mainly bunkers and forts.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #82
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

The southern part of the national road No.38 (cz) could not be considered as the former trunk road. As the part of the E59. But it is still the historical and shortest road connection between Vienna and Prague.

The section Moravske Budejovice - crossing with the road No.23 (before opening of the bypass-road in Moravske Budejovice)

Verso, hofburg liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #83
Moravian

Vienna/Austria - B3 - Prager Strasse:

hofburg liked this post
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #84
Moravian

Langenzersdorf - Korneuburg/Austria - B3:

hofburg liked this post
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #85
Moravian

Austria: B3 (+B4) - Korneuburg - Stockerau:

hofburg liked this post
Old August 12th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #86
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

i like very much austrian street view.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #87
marmurr1916

Likes (Received): 104

All former national roads bypassed by new motorways in Ireland have been reclassified as regional roads (numbered Rxxx).

For example, the N8 (Cork - Portlaoise) was replaced by the M8 (E201).

A section of the former N8 from Portlaoise to Durrow now forms part of the N77, but the remainder of the route is now a regional road, R639.

Former N8, now R639, at the village of Rathcormac in Co. Cork:

Section of the former N8, now R639, in Co. Tipperary:

Section of the former N6, now R446, between Tyrrellspass and Rochefortsbridge, Co. Westmeath:

R445 (former N7) between Naas and Newbridge, Co. Kildare. This is one of the few sections of dual-carriageway that existed in Ireland before the motorway building programme:

R148, part of former N4, in Co. Meath:

These former national routes have now been signposted as alternative routes instead of the motorway.

Moravian, piotr71, DanielFigFoz liked this post

Last edited by marmurr1916; August 12th, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
marmurr1916 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #88
Moravian

Bratislava - Petrzalka (SK) - old road to Vienna:

piotr71, volodaaaa liked this post
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #89
Moravian

San Doná di Piave (SS14 Venezia - Trieste/IT):

piotr71, italystf, geometarkv liked this post
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #90
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Former bypass of Bratislava - map 1972 - 1980

Direction A - Poland, Ukraine (USSR)
Direction B - Hungary, Austria
Direction C - Czech republic

From Poland to Czech r./Hungary
Intersection (left Hungary and Austria, right Czech r.

The map

To Czech republic
To Austria/Hungary
To Poland

None of these roads are now part of an motorway. In the past, those roads were full of transit traffic. Nowadays, only local.

The B direction was redirected after the construction of the third bridge across Danube in 1980 and the C direction after the completion of fourth bridge in 1992. The motorway D1 was ending at the eastern edge of Bratislava until it was extended in 2002 and 2006. The D2 Motorway was completed in 1998 (Southern parts) and 2007 (Sitina Tunnel).

piotr71, Moravian, hofburg liked this post

Last edited by volodaaaa; October 6th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #91
Moravian

[QUOTE=volodaaaa;107705345]Former bypass of Bratislava - map 1972 - 1980

Thanks a lot for the summary. I showed the oldest connection to Vienna - there was just one Danube bridge in the city - the Old Bridge before 80s. As for the road I/2 in the downtown there are some pictures:

Anyway, it is really interesting that the motorway D2 between Petrzalka and Jarovce is almost touching the former iron curtain border.....Impossible to imagine before 1989.

volodaaaa, hofburg liked this post
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #92
volodaaaa

Thank you for the photodocumentation

I have concerned to relative recent post-WWII period. There are lots of relicts on such former trunk-roads - from main/minor roads alignment to former or planned interchanges :-)

I would just correct you, road I/2 runs together through Mlynska Dolina and Most Lafranconi.

Btw. is it still valid, that D2 is the only completed motorway in former Czechoslovakia?

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #93
volodaaaa

Quote:
Bratislava - Petrzalka (SK) - old road to Vienna:

Here is an old map - CLICK

Old October 6th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #94
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Road 4, Finland

The road numbering was introduced in Finland in the year 1938. In the beginning, the roads 1-7 originated radially from Helsinki. The road 4 is the backbone of the network, extending from Helsinki on the south coast to the northernmost part of the country.

Both the south and north ends have faced big changed during the years.

The initial route followed the shortest distance road from Helsinki to Jyväskylä. It did not serve very well, because of the windy rural road going through very sparsely populated forest areas.

In the 1950's, there was a big battle about where to build the new road. The newly built road from Helsinki to Padasjoki via Lahti was nominated the new road 4 in 1963, even if it were somewhat longer than the old one. After the motorway from Helsinki to Heinola got completed in 1996, the road 4 was again moved, to the east side of the Lake Päijänne.

Some parts of the alignment on 1938 have been later upgraded back to main roads: The road from Helsinki to Hyvinkää is now 45, and from Lammi to Padasjoki is 53. The Lahti-Jämsä stretch is now 24. Since early 1970's, the Jämsä-Jyväskylä section was a multiplex of roads 4 and 9, currently 9 only. The remaining sections belong to the lower network, but nothing has been abandoned.

At the north end, big changes have taken place.

During the years 1920-1944, the area of Petsamo extending to the Arctic Sea was part of Finland. The road to the port of Liinahamari was complete in 1931, and it became the north end of the road 4 in 1938.

After the loss of Petsamo, the road was diverted to Karigasniemi at the Norwegian border, over the military road built by the German troops. The first road to Utsjoki in the far North was complete in 1950's, but there was road access to Norway. After a bridge over the river Tenojoki was complete in 1993, the road was again diverted, to Utsjoki to meet the E6 on the Norwegian side of the river. The E75 numbering was later extended to Vardø in Norway.

The remaining part of the Petsamo road to the Russian border is now a regional road 969, and the road to Karigasniemi a trunk road 92.

The initial length of the road was about 1500 kilometres. Currently, the distance from Helsinki to Utsjoki is about 1300 km. During the years, new road sections have shortered the road a lot. The distance from Helsinki to Ivalo, the northern branch point, is nowadays 150 km less than in 1938:

Helsinki-Jyväskylä 297 269
Jyväskylä-Oulu.... 407 337
Oulu-Rovaniemi.... 267 224
Rovaniemi-Ivalo... 294 297
Total............ 1267 1117

The combo railway-road brigde over the river Kemijoki. The road at the lower deck and the railway at the upper one. Road 4 until 1967:

The Petsamo road in its current shape:

The current road 24 at Harjunsalmi in Kuhmoinen. Road 4 from 1960's to 1996:

MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #95
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Thank you for the photodocumentation

I have concerned to relative recent post-WWII period. There are lots of relicts on such former trunk-roads - from main/minor roads alignment to former or planned interchanges :-)

I would just correct you, road I/2 runs together through Mlynska Dolina and Most Lafranconi.

Btw. is it still valid, that D2 is the only completed motorway in former Czechoslovakia?

So far as I know there are two completed motorways in former Czechoslovakia: D2 (D2.cz + D2.sk) and D5.cz between Prague and Rozvadov. Anyway, in Slovakia the former D61 - between Bratislava (or even Austrian border) and Trencin has been also completed - sure it is the first section of the current D1.sk. As your previous summary the junction in BL-Lamac (currently with OMV rest station) was the end of the D2 in Bratislava for very long time.

Thanks for your comment. As for the marking of the road I/2 in Bratislava, you are right. If I remember well, In Prague street - next to the main railway station - there is road mark "572" (II/572) at one light post.
I remember well the traffic jams (and lot of trucks) at the crossing Mlynska dolina/Brnenska street (before the opening of Sitina tunnel) or the Einsteinova street in Petrzalka with that meadow in the middle for the future D1-motorway.
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #96
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
San Doná di Piave (SS14 Venezia - Trieste/IT):

The sign says "Piave - Holy river for the nation", because in 1917 Italian troops stopped the Austrian invasion at the Piave river.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #97
Moravian

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The sign says "Piave - Holy river for the nation", because in 1917 Italian troops stopped the Austrian invasion at the Piave river.
Well, it is surely interesting piece of history (this river as the symbol of Italian front line during WW1) and that marking on this bridge attracted my attention as well.
Anyway - if I remember well - there is the same sign on the Piave-bridge on the new eastern bypass-road in San Dona.
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #98
Moravian

Austria: Traunkirchen/Traunsee - the old B145 road:

Old October 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #99
Moravian

Hainburg an der Donau/Braunsberg - in Austria:
B9 - road Vienna - Bratislava (SK)