daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #21
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Likes (Received): 34650

Monday 27.1.14 announcement and publication of the drafts!

soweit nicht anders angegeben außerhalb von den Skybars.

Berlin Projects

Marco Bruno, mb92 liked this post
Ludi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #22
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Gehry is the winner

Berlin Projects

ELH, Tiaren, erbse, mb92, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #23
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

Better than what one could have hoped for.
Next to Upper west, it appears that Berlin slowly acquires a consciousness for Quality design in the highrise sector.

Ludi liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:55 AM   #24
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Hines allready wants to start with construction this year!

Appartments and one hotel are planed...

Berlin Projects
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #25
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

I like it! It echoes Art-Deco.

Very nice.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #26
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

©Gehrypartners

Berlin Projects

erbse, mb92 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #27
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

the other ones...

leftone: kleihues+ kleihues; Gehry in the middle and on the right side: LLP, Barkow Leibinger

Berlin Projects

mb92 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #28
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57916

The best one clearly made it.

Though I expected some better proportions from Gehry. Possibly it's just that the renders make it appear rather thick. A little crown would definitely help making it more slender and elegant, Art-Decoesque. Otherwise, I'm rather fond of the design.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #29
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Think the best won.
Although i have little problem with the twist of the upper section.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #30
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolbert View Post
No, just NO! I would prefer to have no higrise than something like this.... Please at least give it a proper base not this f*** wired peace of s****

Sorry for getting emotional, but its still the center of our capital. It deserves something better. And if not, please let it be of red bricks, which could make an interessting building out of this !!!
plz try to be not that emotional and tell us, why you think this draft is so bad...

THX!

p.s.: its not "the center" its one center of Berlin and the Alexanderplatz is good place for highrise, i think.

Berlin Projects
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #31
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1615

Quote:
Erbse, you sould take a closer look. The tower clearely has its own base anexed to the Saturn building. And it looks just odd the way it is shown here. I wouldn't say anything if it would just sit on top of Saturn, but it doesnt. Sandstone is well suited to alexanderplatz, that right, but we already have only this material or close colors on Alex. Something different would please the eye very well and it woold make a great oponent to the kolhoff tower on skyline view. Plus, red brick would give the building an impressionist apperiance that would look like somthing that has german heritage and is not just copy pasted out of another metropolis! Some more relating to our history is exactely what we need in the center of our capital and nothing else!
Sorry for quoting myself here
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:21 PM   #32
Tolbert

To make it clear, i dont say that i dont like the Ghery desing at all, but i would love to see something more conservative/traditional on this place. kleihues+ kleihues would fit best in my opinion, especially in sandstone cladding. The other one is more generic but still looks good wit its setbacks even if it is glas cladding. It would make up a great composition with the proposed tower of Alexa in red limestone the old tower an television tower. If the really build the Ghery, they should at least consider give it a proper base like enlarging the Saturn facade or someting closer to Kaufhof. Even a monolitic Sandstone block would be better that just start without any real base.

@Ludi: Im not against highrises on Alexanderplatz, i am totaly for it. So far i would prefer the designs Kolhoff did 20 years ago!

Sometimes i really get the impression that most of you guys, while adore historic and neohistoric architecture, just get wet orgasms as soon as some starchitect post something for berlin whereever the design is of good planing or respects the area it is planed for. We had that same story with Koolhaas desing for the Springer Campus, which looks like a überdimensional Flackbunker that got a heay strike. No thanks!

Last edited by Tolbert; January 27th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:25 PM   #33
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Wow, the other designs are shockingly boring...
As I said in an other thread already: I was hoping for Gehry all along, so, YAAAAY!!!
Wished, they'd made it a little taller though... It frustrates me, that there are always stumps being build in Berlin. The full potential is never achieved.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #34
Tolbert

Sometimes i want just cry, why cant we just adore our own culture/history and build someting that is not copied from someone else? We dont need Ghery, we have our own architects...

http://skyscraper.org/EXHIBITIONS/PA.../diptychs4.jpg

Something like these designs by Gropius(sandstone facade) and Taut(brick fadade). Imagine those on Alex, of course with an extendet hight to 150m.

Some others:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0oWG--73sM...chicago+a2.jpg

erbse, noisrevid liked this post

Last edited by Tolbert; January 27th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #35
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Source: Berliner Kurier

Berlin Projects

erbse, mb92 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #36
ELH

Quote:
Sometimes i want just cry, why cant we just adore our own culture/history and build someting that is not copied from someone else? We dont need Ghery, we have our own architects...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0oWG--73sM...chicago+a2.jpg
Hi Tolbert, it appears that you cling to some highly personal imagination of what a typical "german highrise" should look like. To me, those examples you brought look very much like early 20th century skyscrapers from New York and Chicago. Of course, one may lament that german cities lost several decades to the destruction of the war, but I don´t think the answer is to exclude all architecture which is too modern to fit into Lang´s "Metropolis".

I think some germans are so wound because of what they perceive as a lost century, that they forget to regard the interweavedness of german culture with anglo-saxon culture, architectonically and otherwise (Don´t forget the "saxon" in anglo-saxon). Just as german architects land many international projects, one can´t judge from their looks which projects in germany are landed by internationals and not.

When it comes to preservationism, others on this forum has emphazised how Germany may retain more of its pre-war urban habitats than say, England, because the war time destructions has stimulated pre-war nostalgia to an extreme degree. I find that mainly positive. However, I don´t think this nostalgia should include the "to-come-urbanism" of the 1930s.

Suburbanist, Tiaren liked this post

Last edited by ELH; January 27th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #37
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

© Gehry and Partners

Berlin Projects

erbse, mb92, Tiaren liked this post
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #38
Tolbert

I just posted some examples from german architects for chicago at least to show an impression of what i mean. I never meant to exclude any sort of architecture. Look closer and you'll see that these designs are the sort of "modern" that is popular with taditionalists and modernists. I already said that i wouldnt even mind the glass building beeing build, which should have made clear that i am in no way a "traditionalist only".

Quote:
I think some germans are so wound because of what they perceive as a lost century, that they forget to regard the interweavedness of german culture with anglo-saxon culture
I am aware of the interweavedness with "anglo saxon" culture, but that doesnt mean that architecture is interchangable beyond realization. German modernism/impressionism has its unique elements that found there way to anglo saxon architecture. After all, modernism is originated in Germany. It is now a question of elaborating those differents and find a way to express it in an authentic way together with international stiles, rather than just searching for our own history in architectures of countries that did not face the same amount of architectural and cultural loss. After all modern Germany is a diverse country cultural and architecture wise which makes it special and its what i love most of our country. What would fit us well so is some more self courage to formulate an architectual future without negating our past.

Ps:
Quote:
I don´t think the answer is to exclude all architecture which is too modern to fit into Lang´s "Metropolis".
Take a closer look, you'll find most modern expressions of stiles in there, besides futuristic/organic styles that came up the last 30-40 years. Just with exchagable cubatures!

http://www.cinetastic.de/wp-content/...tropolis_2.jpg

But back to topic.

Those model pics some sort of conciliate me. Im still of the opinion that it needs a proper "heavy" base as counterwight for the eclectic top and i still think it would look far better in brick cause it would make the structure more interesting than a shallow stone cladding and would add a certain and in my opinion desperately needed contrast to the glas and sanstone facades currently in domination at Alexanderplatz.

Last edited by Tolbert; January 29th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #39
ELH

Quote:
After all, modernism is originated in Germany.
I used the word "modern" to denote "cutting edge" rather than as historical "modernism", which admittedly is the more formally correct meaning of the term. Off course, Metropolis was and will always remain modern in that sense.

Cultural modernism generally is not uniquely pioneered by germany. It is possible that you are right that architectural modernism originated in Germany, I don´t know enough about it.
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #40
Ludi
✪ Mr. Ludolf ✪

Source: RBB

Berlin Projects

mb92 liked this post

Tags
berlin, frank gehry, hines tower