daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:44 AM   #1
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 158

SICILIA | myth in an island of light

[IMG]http://i48.************/ngqz3l.png[/IMG]

jrg85 liked this post

Last edited by Urbanmetro; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
Urbanmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Palermo
Palermo is a city in Insular Italy, the capital of both the autonomous region of Sicily and the Province of Palermo. Palermo is located in the northwest of the island of Sicily, right by the Gulf of Palermo in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Palermo is Sicily's cultural, economic and touristic capital. It is a city rich in history, culture, art, music and food. Numerous tourists are attracted to the city for its good Mediterranean weather, its renowned gastronomy and restaurants, its Romanesque, Gothic and Baroque churches, palaces and buildings, and its nightlife and music. Palermo is the main Sicilian industrial and commercial center: the main industrial sectors include tourism, services, commerce and agriculture. In fact, for cultural, artistic and economic reasons, Palermo was one of the largest cities in the Mediterranean and is now among the top tourist destinations in both Italy and Europe. The city is also going through careful redevelopment, preparing to become one of the major cities of the Euro-Mediterranean area.

openlyJane liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Agrigento
The Valle dei Templi is an archaeological site in Agrigento (ancient Greek Akragas), Sicily, southern Italy. It is one of the most outstanding examples of Greater Greece art and architecture, and is one of the main attractions of Sicily as well as a national monument of Italy. The area was included in the UNESCO Heritage Site list in 1997.

openlyJane, madonnagirl liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Cefal¨
Cefal¨ is a city and comune in the province of Palermo, located on the northern coast of Sicily, Italy on the Tyrrhenian Sea about 70 km east from the provincial capital and 185 km west of Messina. The town, with its population of just under 14,000, is one of the major tourist attractions in the region. Despite its size, every year it attracts millions of tourists from all parts of Sicily and also, from all over Italy and Europe. In summer the population can triple, making the main streets and major roads in the country crowded. There is then a youthful atmosphere and a lively nightlife.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Isole Eolie
The Aeolian Islands or Lipari Islands are a volcanic archipelago in the Tyrrhenian Sea north of Sicily, named after the demigod of the winds Aeolus. The locals residing on the islands are known as Eolians. The Aeolian Islands are a popular tourist destination in the summer, and attract up to 200,000 visitors annually. The largest island is Lipari. The other islands include Vulcano, Salina, Stromboli, Filicudi, Alicudi, Panarea and Basiluzzo.

openlyJane, madonnagirl liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:47 AM   #6
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Baroque Towns of Val di Noto
Val di Noto is a geographical area of south east Sicily; it is dominated by the limestone Iblean plateau. In June 2002, UNESCO inscribed eight old towns of the Val di Noto on the World Heritage List as "representing the culmination and final flowering of Baroque art in Europe". The listed towns are Caltagirone, Militello in Val di Catania, Catania, Modica, Noto, Palazzolo Acreide, Ragusa, and Scicli.

openlyJane, solchante liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:13 AM   #7
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43369

Thank you for the stunning images. They reveal some of the reason that I love Sicily.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:02 AM   #8
MyGeorge

Likes (Received): 392

these images are absolutely awesome.
thanks a lot for showing them.

Urbanmetro liked this post
MyGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
tigot

Likes (Received): 95

Amazing images of Sicily! I was supposed to go last year but my flights were cancelled and there we no suitable substitutes, so I went to Israel instead. Looking forward to going to Sicily this summer/autumn. I loved Naples and Rome two years ago, and I'm sure Sicily will be no exception!

My Flickr photostream

tigot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

Amazing, very nice photos so far; keep them coming

christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #11
DaveF12

Likes (Received): 246

great to see all these museum pieces and that volcanic eruption is just simply breathtaking.

DaveF12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #12
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Thank you for the stunning images. They reveal some of the reason that I love Sicily.
Thank you so much, Jane. You're most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGeorge View Post
these images are absolutely awesome.
thanks a lot for showing them.
Is a pleasure. Check back soon George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigot View Post
Amazing images of Sicily! I was supposed to go last year but my flights were cancelled and there we no suitable substitutes, so I went to Israel instead. Looking forward to going to Sicily this summer/autumn. I loved Naples and Rome two years ago, and I'm sure Sicily will be no exception!
I hope you have a way to land soon at one of our airports. I suggest Catania (if you want to visit the eastern part of Sicily) or Palermo (if you want to visit the west). Sicily is waiting you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Amazing, very nice photos so far; keep them coming
Thank you Christos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF12 View Post
great to see all these museum pieces and that volcanic eruption is just simply breathtaking.
My dear friend, what you saw is nothing compared to how much there is to see. Every little corner, every small town or area, has a lot to offer to all of you who come to visit us.
Old April 4th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Erice
Erice is a historic town and is located on top of Mount Erice, at around 750m above sea level, overlooking the city of Trapani, the low western coast towards Marsala, the dramatic Punta del Saraceno and Capo San Vito to the north-east, and the Aegadian Islands on Sicily's north-western coast, providing spectacular views. In the northeastern portion of the city there are the remains of ancient Elymian and Phoenician walls indicating different stages of settlement and occupation in antiquity. There are two castles that remain in the city: Pepoli Castle, which dates from Saracen times, and the Venus Castle, dating from the Norman period, built on top of the ancient Temple of Venus, where Venus Ericina was worshipped. According to legend, the temple was founded by Aeneas. It was well-known throughout the Mediterranean area in the ancient age, and an important cult was celebrated in it. In his book On the Nature of Animals, Aelian writes that animals chosen for sacrifice would voluntarily walk up to the altar to be killed.

Old April 4th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #14
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Windmills and Salt Flats at Trapani Nature Reserve
Riserva naturale integrale Saline di Trapani e Paceco is a nature reserve in the Province of Trapani between the municipalities Marsala, Trapani, and Paceco at the west coast of Sicily. It was founded in 1995 and in the framework of the Ramsar Convention entrusted to WWF Italy. It has an areal of 987 ha and consists of two zones (Zona A and Zona B).

Last edited by Urbanmetro; April 4th, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old April 4th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #15
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43369

Thank you for all of these stupendous images. Are they all your own work? Fantastic! Bellissimo!

I have stayed in Trapani, and know all of these places.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Urbanmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by openlyJane View Post
Thank you for all of these stupendous images. Are they all your own work? Fantastic! Bellissimo!

I have stayed in Trapani, and know all of these places.
No Jane. I am just a simple university student of architecture. I'm not a professional photographer. I try to give visibility and to make known to all of you my Sicily. Happy to accommodate you again.

Old April 6th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #17
madonnagirl
Materially Yours

Likes (Received): 467

great shots of quite a beautiful places.
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #18
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, food, sicily, tourism