daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Makaveli96

Likes (Received): 117

Twin Towers In NYC

First post and all but anyway, just had some questions on the possibility of Twin Towers in NYC. For me, I really supported the idea from the start and always believed it should of happened for real. But the chances are it wont and I get that. I mean, would there even be a small chance of the twin towers being built on the current site or anywhere else in NYC?
Makaveli96 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
acerx
traveling the world

Likes (Received): 26

how would it be possible to build the twin towers on the current site ??? its a memorial now and never there will sommething be build on that spot
acerx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Nope, they won't be built anywhere else. Those towers are now in history and I'm sure a proposal to build twin towers lookalikes in another part of the city would receive a lot of negative publicity

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I'd say the exact opposite is true. Many polls have shown that most New Yorkers and most Americans wanted the Twin Towers to be rebuilt. They will never be rebuilt on the WTC site but they easily could be built on another site in Manhattan and I'd expect they would become instantaneous icons and people would love them

windowsoftheworld liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #5
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

No, it will never happen. It cant be built on the current site and it won't be built anywhere else because the design is outdated, not safe enough and is insensitive to those who lost their families that day and/or saw the attacks.

Sarcasticity liked this post
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Their appearance and shape aren't "not safe enough". Their structure is what was not safe enough. Buildings which look similar but use a far stronger and safer structure could be built.

Also, building new Twin Towers would be the greatest tribute possible to the victims and their families. In my opinion the pools on the WTC site are insensitive because of how they try to hide the fact that the Twin Towers ever existed. Seriously, they can be seen only from the towers arround them and if somebody stands right in front of them. New Twin Towers could be seen by everyone from far and keep the memory of that horrible day alive. The victims deserve to be remembered and not forgotten with a well hidden pseudomonument

I'm not saying that Twin Towers will be rebuilt on the WTC site, I only say that they could and should be rebuilt on another site. There is still both space and demand for new supertalls in Manhattan, so we can still hope that somebody (Trump maybe) will decide to correct the huge mistake the PA and Larry did with the WTC site.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli96 View Post
First post and all but anyway, just had some questions on the possibility of Twin Towers in NYC. For me, I really supported the idea from the start and always believed it should of happened for real. But the chances are it wont and I get that. I mean, would there even be a small chance of the twin towers being built on the current site or anywhere else in NYC?
No? Are you aware of the fact that a new World Trade Center occupies that site now? It's just as likely they'll tear down the White House and rebuild them there.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

Chances of this happening are slim, but it never hurts to hope. Although it will never happen in the WTC site.

Kanto liked this post
windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That is exactly what I think too. Well said
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #10
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

Maybe if another attack was launched on WTC and destroyed the whole site again? Other than that, I don't really think so.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #11
TamaSuperstar

Likes (Received): 2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'd say the exact opposite is true. Many polls have shown that most New Yorkers and most Americans wanted the Twin Towers to be rebuilt. They will never be rebuilt on the WTC site but they easily could be built on another site in Manhattan and I'd expect they would become instantaneous icons and people would love them
Yeah I'm sure the families would love to see the buildings their loved ones died in again.

Honestly this subject always comes up and it's just completely ridiculous.

1. It would be incredibly insensitive.

2. It would be dangerous.

3. You can't just build two massive office buildings for a vanity project because some people want to see them, there has to be demand.

4. They really aren't as architecturally amazing as everyone made out. Now don't get me wrong, I love them as icons, but they are looked back on with very rose tinted glasses, the new center is x1000 better.

5. NYC Is a progressive City, it should be looking to the future, not dwelling in the past.

Honestly guys, just accept that they aren't coming back, it's an insane thought to believe they might come back.
TamaSuperstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Kanto
Roof height crusader

1, Exactly the opposite is true. Not rebuilding the Twin Towers was insensitive.

2, If done with modern engineering methods they would not be dangerous just as the new 1WTC is not dangerous.

3, But the deman apparently is there because 4 massive office buildings are being built on that site as we speak.

4, Being icons is more important than being loved by a few proffesional architectural critics.

5, It is also a city of icons and abandoning one of the greatest icons it ever had is cowardly and wrong.

Ultramatic liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #13
TamaSuperstar

Likes (Received): 2126

I don't really think anyone on this forum can speak for those affected by 911 unless they were personally affected by it. It's not our place to decide it was insensitive to not rebuild it. So your better off just not rebuilding it.

Even with modern engineering they would still be prone to attack, regardless of the death toll. It would be morbid and foolish to rebuild them.
TamaSuperstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Exactly, nobody can speak for the affected ones, so let the affected ones speak for themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=gpIY7-2j7Kg#

New Twin Towers, which would be stronger and taller than the old ones would be both an ultimate symbol of resilience and fearlessness and the best possible memorial for those who perished that horrible day.
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #15
windowsoftheworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaSuperstar View Post
Yeah I'm sure the families would love to see the buildings their loved ones died in again.

Honestly this subject always comes up and it's just completely ridiculous.

1. It would be incredibly insensitive.

2. It would be dangerous.

3. You can't just build two massive office buildings for a vanity project because some people want to see them, there has to be demand.

4. They really aren't as architecturally amazing as everyone made out. Now don't get me wrong, I love them as icons, but they are looked back on with very rose tinted glasses, the new center is x1000 better.

5. NYC Is a progressive City, it should be looking to the future, not dwelling in the past.

Honestly guys, just accept that they aren't coming back, it's an insane thought to believe they might come back.
1. According to numerous public polls and 9/11 families, it isn't.

2. You didn't really elaborate as to why rebuilding the Twin Towers would be "dangerous", so i'm not gonna bother.

3. The fact that they're building 4 skyscrapers as opposed to 2, clearly shows that demand isn't the problem.

4. Yes, they were amazing, regardless if the new one is more technically advanced and such, it isn't nearly as unique and memorable as the Twin Towers.

5. Irrelevant. You can build modern day Twin Towers and move with the times.

Classic pessimism.

Kanto, bozenBDJ, Ultramatic liked this post
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #16
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsoftheworld View Post
1. According to numerous public polls and 9/11 families, it isn't.

2. You didn't really elaborate as to why rebuilding the Twin Towers would be "dangerous", so i'm not gonna bother.

3. The fact that they're building 4 skyscrapers as opposed to 2, clearly shows that demand isn't the problem.

4. Yes, they were amazing, regardless if the new one is more technically advanced and such, it isn't nearly as unique and memorable as the Twin Towers.

5. Irrelevant. You can build modern day Twin Towers and move with the times.

Classic pessimism.
You know what I find amazing about all the "rebuild the twins people?" Its that they actually believe that when they are rebuilt everyone will just look at them and be happy. Thats utter bullshit, people who were there that day or who saw it on tv will be constantly be looking up and thinking of the events. The families who seem to think it will be fine, will have a constant reminder of the day they lost their loved ones. The firefighters will have to look up and work in a rebuild of the same buildings in which they lost hundreds of co-workers. Those visions of people falling from the very same looking buildings will be all to real when we look at them.

Also the demand is not quite there. Look at the current buildings. Only 1 and 4 are being built, 3 will be on hold and 2 may take another 10yrs to get built. All those building have much less floor space than the twins, and you think they can fill up two? If anything they would build one, wait 5yrs and then start the next. Which would be dumb.

Also how comfortable would the businesses feel putting their workers into almost the same buildings, even if they are safer?

At the end of the day the buildings are getting built to make money. The new building are more economical and environmentally friendly and you want them to substitute that for a more 'iconic' building?

Also where would they go? On the orginal spot? That cannot happen. If they built them anywhere else on the WTC plot, they would be weirdly spaced and/or be unable to have a plaza. Do you think the owners want to buy more land just to build the twins?

If built the twins would look virtually unrecognizable due to the safety features.

If the ESB was destroyed, do you really think it would be rebuilt just because?

TamaSuperstar, ƦthƦr liked this post
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Kanto
Roof height crusader

1, That is one approach to a reminder, the other approach, the one I and apparently most of the victim families prefer is viewing new Twin Towers as a worthy memorial which doesn't try to hide itself but at the same time a symbol of courage and optimism into the future.

2, There is nothing dumb on building first one building and later a second

3, Just making a tall building look different won't make anybody in it comfortable. The only thing that might make people in it more comfortable is additional safety. Also, shape alone don't make a building enviromentally friendly, used technology and engineering methods make it. That and the fact that they could still look similar and be recognizable even though being modern buildings. Take the ICC in Hong Kong for example, it looks similar yet is modern in all aspects.

4, Where would they go? If the WTC site would still be an empty pit I'd say they should go there, however it isn't empty anymore and therefore there will never again be Twin Towers on the WTC site. However, there is still plenty of space in Manhattan. For example they could be built in western Midtown where the Hudson Yards Towers and the Brookfield Towers are being made. Countless new supertalls are being expected to rise in that area so I don't see why two of them couldn't resemble the Twin Towers in both appearance and height.

5, And btw, yes, if the ESB would be destroyed I would like to see it rebuilt but with modern safety measures
Old April 6th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #18
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli96 View Post
I don't know exactly what you are trying to explain but there are several twin towers in NYC.

deadhead262 liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #19
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

personally id be happy with twins somewhere in midtown like the manhattan west project..if they were similar height as the only ones 1200-1400 feet im sure they would be icons..

Kanto liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #20
windowsoftheworld

The Twin Towers stood for over 25 years gracing New York city's skyline and gaining people's love and respect. 9/11 was indeed tragic but it doesn't overshadow their grandness and legacy and i believe that if they were to be rebuilt, people would see them in a positive light and not in the way some of you pessimists would see it. 9/11 families wanted to see them rebuilt because that would be the ultimate memorial, not of 9/11, but of their loved ones. Because ultimately, the good was better than the bad and i believe that's one of the reasons why people wanted them back (aside from showing the terrorists they can't change us nor win).

bozenBDJ, Kanto, PIA777, Ultramatic liked this post