daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
PRIMEVAL

Likes (Received): 109585

My trips in Greece and Turkey

Photos from two trips, one in 2010 and one in 2011

Trip of 2010

Athens

Piraeus

Some island between Piraeus and Amorgos

The unusual health and variety of nature, the concentric organization of relief starting from the giant circle of Carpathians, the fecundity brought by the waters of Danube, all found in same place with the oldest history and greatest ethnical-religious-cultural diversity = ROMANIA

Localisation map for all mountains in Romania * Streets of Bucharest (my photos) * Timișoara, the forgotten splendor of Austria - Hungary (my photos) * My trips around Romania

Linguine, charpentier, Bogdy liked this post
PRIMEVAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
PRIMEVAL

Amorgos Island

The unusual health and variety of nature, the concentric organization of relief starting from the giant circle of Carpathians, the fecundity brought by the waters of Danube, all found in same place with the oldest history and greatest ethnical-religious-cultural diversity = ROMANIA

Localisation map for all mountains in Romania * Streets of Bucharest (my photos) * Timișoara, the forgotten splendor of Austria - Hungary (my photos) * My trips around Romania

Linguine liked this post

Last edited by PRIMEVAL; April 7th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

magnificent collection of photos @PRIMEVAL, thanks for sharing.
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #4
PRIMEVAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguine View Post
magnificent collection of photos @PRIMEVAL, thanks for sharing.
Thank you Linguine!

Patmos Island

logan1975, charpentier liked this post
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
PRIMEVAL

Kos Island

The Three of Hippocrates is the platane under which, according to the legend, Hippocrates of Kos (considered the father of medicine) taught his pupils the art of medicine. Paul of Tarsus purportedly taught here as well. The Platanus in Kos is an oriental plane (Platanus orientalis), with a crown diameter of about 12 metres, said to be the largest for a plane tree in Europe. The current tree is only about 500 years old, but may possibly be a descendant of the original tree which allegedly stood there 2400 years ago, in Hippocrates' time.

charpentier liked this post
Old April 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
PRIMEVAL

Bodrum

Old April 7th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
PRIMEVAL

Kaș

Old April 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
PRIMEVAL

Kastelorizo Island

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #9
PRIMEVAL

Trip of 2011

Thessaloniki

River in Macedonia

Delphi

Arachova

Athens

Syros Island

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #10
PRIMEVAL

Amorgos Island

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #11
PRIMEVAL

Bodrum

Dalyan

Xanthos

Between Kaș and Antalya

Alanya

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #12
PRIMEVAL

Between Alanya and Anamur

Anamur - the castle built by Romans and extended by Byzantines, Crussaders and Turks

Bozyazi - acropolis with fort dating form Antiquity

Kızkalesi - two castles, one on shore and one on sea, dating from Roman age

Between Icel and Cappadocia

charpentier, MyGeorge liked this post

Last edited by PRIMEVAL; April 7th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #13
PRIMEVAL

Cappadocia

Göreme

charpentier, holmac liked this post
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #14
PRIMEVAL

Thank you Charpentier for likes!

Cappadocia

Zelve

Old April 7th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
PRIMEVAL

Cappadocia

Avanos - underground workshops of a pottery manufacturing family

Çavuşin

Derinkuyu

charpentier, holmac liked this post
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #16
PRIMEVAL

Cappadocia

Soğanlı Valleys - the churches date from 5th (not 15th) century

Leaving Cappadocia

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #17
PRIMEVAL

Constantinople

Photos from a trip in 2003.

Valens Aqueduct finished in 368 has a lenght of 921 m (from the original 971 m), a height of ~29 m and a width of 7.75–8.24 m.

The Golden Gate on the Constantinople Walls (built during Theodosius II, 408–450) was the ceremonial gate in the fortifications of the city.

The Golden Gate was used especially for the occasions of a triumphal entry of an emperor into the capital on the occasion of military victories or other state occasions such as coronations. On rare occasions, as a mark of honor, the entry through the gate was allowed to non-imperial visitors: papal legates (in 519 and 868) and, in 710, to Pope Constantine. The Gate was used for triumphal entries until the Komnenian period; thereafter, the only such occasion was the entry of Michael VIII Palaiologos into the city on 15 August 1261, after its reconquest from the Latins. With the progressive decline in Byzantium's military fortunes, the gates were walled up and reduced in size in the later Palaiologan period, and the complex converted into a citadel and refuge.

The Obelisk of Theodosius is an ancient Egyptian obelisk of Pharaoh Tutmoses III (1479–1425 BCE) re-erected in the Hippodrome of Constantinople by the Roman emperor Theodosius I (379-392).

The marble pedestal had bas-reliefs dating to the time of the obelisk's re-erection in Constantinople. On one face Theodosius I is shown offering the crown of victory to the winner in the chariot races, framed between arches and Corinthian columns, with happy spectators, musicians and dancers assisting in the ceremony.

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #18
PRIMEVAL

Constantinople - Late antiquity churches

The Studios Monastery was historically the most important monastery of Constantinople. Although the monastery has been derelict for half a millennium, the laws and customs of the Stoudion were taken as models by the monks of Mount Athos and of many other monasteries of the Orthodox world; even today they have influence.

It was founded in 462 by the consul Stoudios, a Latin patrician from Rome who had settled in Constantinople.

The only part to survive into the 20th century was the Cathedral of St. John Baptist, probably the oldest remaining church in Istanbul, a 5th century basilica which was converted by Bayezid II's equerry into the mosque. The ruins of the monastery complex were looted by local inhabitants to repair their houses, while the magnificent 13th century pavement still lies open to elements "and disappears slowly but steadily".

In the eighth and eleventh centuries, the monastery was the centre of Byzantine religious poetry; a number of the hymns are still used in the Orthodox Church.

Three of the Stoudite monks rose to become the patriarchs of Constantinople (which was the head of most of the Orthodox Church up to 19th century, when national churches of Slavs, Romanians and other people rose to autocephaly). Three emperors (Michael V 1041–1042, Michael VII Doukas1071–1078 and Isaac I Komnenos 1057–1059) became monks inside the walls of Studion.

In 1204, the monastery was destroyed by the Crusaders and was not fully restored until 1290. The Russian pilgrims Anthony (c. 1200) and Stephen (c. 1350) were amazed by the size of the monastic grounds. It is thought that the cloister sheltered as much as 700 monks at the time.

The greater part of the monastery was again destroyed when the Turks conquered Constantinople in 1453.

The Church of the Saints Sergius and Bacchus, also known as the Little Hagia Sophia is one of the few Late Antiquity basilicas in Constantinople.

This Byzantine building with a central dome plan was erected in the sixth century by Justinian, likely was a model for Hagia Sophia (St. Sophia), and is one of the most important early Byzantine buildings in Istanbul. In fact, it created the model of the Byzantine church, by combining two Roman types of buildings: the basilica composed of a single nave (a type of longitudinal construction used for commerce and public meeetings) with other Roman type of structure, the dome (used for example and the Pantheon in Rome). With further evolutions, most of the Orthodox churches all around the world are still built after the initial model of Sergius and Bacchus.

In second picture, in the backdrop can be seen a relatively new white building lying on a bricked structure. This brick wall is nothing else but the remainnings of the famous Hippodrome of Constantinople, the sporting and social centre of the city for most of its history.

On the upper part is the present square Sultanahmet Meydanı, where is the Obelisk of Theododius and two other columns erected by two emperors.

Agia Irene Church, situated near Agia Sophia (in the actual courtyard of Topkapî Palace, the residence of the Ottoman Sultans), was the first church built in Constantinople after the capital of Roman Empire was moved from Rome to this city (previously named Byzantium.

It was first erected by Constantine the Great (306-337), the re-founder of Constantinople. In present form, it was built between 532-537, shortly after Sergius and Bacchus and little before the actual building of Agia Sophia.

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #19
PRIMEVAL

Constantinople - Agia Sophia Mosaics

The Virgin and Child in the apse was inaugurated in 867 and was the first of the post-iconoclastic mosaics.

These mosaics were believed to be a reconstruction of the mosaics of the 6th century that were previously destroyed during the iconoclastic era. The mosaics are set against the original golden background of the 6th century.

The portraits of the archangels Gabriel and Michael (the latter largely destroyed) in the bema of the arch also date from the 9th century.

Empress Zoe mosaic dates from the 11th century

Comnenus Mosaics date from 1122

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #20
PRIMEVAL

Constantinople - Medieval Churches

Myrelaion Church was built in 922. Like almost all the churches in the city, was converted into a mosque that is called the Bodrum Mosque.

The Pantokrator Monastery was and still is the second largest Christian religious edifice in the city after Agia Sophia.

Is made of two churches adjoined by a chapel and it represents the most typical example of architecture of the Byzantine middle period. Built between 1118-1124, the monastery was converted into a mosque called Zeyrek Mosque.

Until a few years ago, the edifice was in a desolate state, and as a result it was added to the UNESCO watchlist of endangered monuments. During the recent years it underwent extensive (albeit still unfinished) restoration. My pictures date from the period of abandonment.

The Lips Monastery, also called The Monastery of Mary Panachrantos and today as Fenari Isa Mosque, has two churches, one from 908 and one from 1304

The Pammakaristos Church, now Fethiye Mosque, is believed by many historians and archaeologists that can be attributed to Michael VII Ducas (1071–1078).

Following the fall of Constantinople, the seat of the Orthodox Patriarchate was first moved to the Church of the Holy Apostles (a vanished building were the emperors were buried, demolished to make place to the present Fatih Mosque), and in 1456 to the Pammakaristos Church, which remained as the seat of the Patriarchate until 1587. In 1592 was converted into a mosque.

While the main building remains a mosque, the parekklesion has since then been a museum.

In second picture you can see a Greek inscription on the girdle surrounding the church.

Saint Theodosia Monastery, now Gül Mosque, is one of the most important Byzantine buildings of Constantinople. Its dedication and the date of its construction, which for long time appeared certain, are now disputed by scholars.

The church and adjoining monastery were erected by Emperor Basil I ( 867–886) toward the end of the ninth century.

You can see here a photo of the building in a larger view of the urban setting.

Theotokos Kyriotissa Church, now the Kalenderhane Mosque, was rebuilt three times between 6th and 12th centuries and in present form dates from 1197.

holmac liked this post