daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #21
LAYZIEDOGG
Los Santos

Likes (Received): 33

Great collection, Göreme looks almost extraterrestrial with those large rock formations throughout the village.
LAYZIEDOGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #22
MyGeorge

Likes (Received): 393

awesome places and some of them are biblically historical.
MyGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #23
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244487

Awesome, very nice photos especially from Greece PRIMEVAL
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #24
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33946

this is one great photo tour which is enlightening. It's not very often that one can see pictures of these places which were mentioned in biblical history.
Patmos is very interesting where most of the buildings are painted in white (any reason for this?) and the seemingly Crusaders' fort is visible up the mountain but I'm just wondering why the island and most of the Greek Islands and even the mainland are seemingly barren?
Kos which I believe is a part of Turkey is equally interesting like Patmos but in contrast, is greener and the buildings are differently built.
and through your photos, the rest of the places you visited are truly amazing and I'm sure you enjoyed your trips.
I experienced a day trip to three Greek islands (Hydra,Poros & Egina) a long time ago and your photos although of different places brought me back a sort memory.
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #25
manon

Likes (Received): 5310

wonderful images, thanks primeval

███████▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌♥♥♥ GO TURKIYE ♥♥♥▌▌▌▌▌▌▌███████▌

Facebook.com/SummerInTurkey
manon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #26
alexander2000

Likes (Received): 443

I like both of these countries, I've been to Greece but not in Turkey.
A quick question: what are the similarities and dismilarities between the two?
alexander2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #27
PRIMEVAL

Likes (Received): 109585

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYZIEDOGG View Post
Great collection, Göreme looks almost extraterrestrial with those large rock formations throughout the village.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGeorge View Post
awesome places and some of them are biblically historical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Awesome, very nice photos especially from Greece PRIMEVAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by manon View Post
wonderful images, thanks primeval
Thank you and I'm glad you liked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn2000 View Post
this is one great photo tour which is enlightening. It's not very often that one can see pictures of these places which were mentioned in biblical history.
Patmos is very interesting where most of the buildings are painted in white (any reason for this?) and the seemingly Crusaders' fort is visible up the mountain but I'm just wondering why the island and most of the Greek Islands and even the mainland are seemingly barren?
Kos which I believe is a part of Turkey is equally interesting like Patmos but in contrast, is greener and the buildings are differently built.
and through your photos, the rest of the places you visited are truly amazing and I'm sure you enjoyed your trips.
I experienced a day trip to three Greek islands (Hydra,Poros & Egina) a long time ago and your photos although of different places brought me back a sort memory.
Houses are painted white to not absorb much heat. The fort in Patmos is not a Crusader castle but a Byzantine monastery built in 11th century over the cave believed to be the one where John the Evangelist had the vision of Apocalipse (in reality, the author of Apocalipse is unknown and the cave identification is pure speculative).

Kos is part of Greece like most islands near the Turkey coast. Before 1923 when was a population exchange between Greece and Turkey, most of villages and towns on Turkey's coasts (both on Mediterrana and Black Sea), also some inland areas like Cappadocia, were majoritary inhabited by Greeks. I think the islands are so desert because of grazing of domestic animals (goats) and the Kos may be greener because is mostly flat and the soil suffered less erosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander2000 View Post
I like both of these countries, I've been to Greece but not in Turkey.
A quick question: what are the similarities and dismilarities between the two?
In Turkey the distances between localities are big and the vast uninhabited spaces are very relaxing. Also there is higher variety of landscapes, soil and rock constitution and people seem more happy, even the poor villagers. Greece on the other hand has nicer architecture, I mean there are no new buildings without esthetical aspect like in most Turkey.
The unusual health and variety of nature, the concentric organization of relief starting from the giant circle of Carpathians, the fecundity brought by the waters of Danube, all found in same place with the oldest history and greatest ethnical-religious-cultural diversity = ROMANIA

Localisation map for all mountains in Romania * Streets of Bucharest (my photos) * Timișoara, the forgotten splendor of Austria - Hungary (my photos) * My trips around Romania
PRIMEVAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #28
PRIMEVAL

Some more photos, in no particular order:

Cappadocia

Between Mersin and Cappadocia

Between Alanya and Mersin

Alanya

Dalyan

The unusual health and variety of nature, the concentric organization of relief starting from the giant circle of Carpathians, the fecundity brought by the waters of Danube, all found in same place with the oldest history and greatest ethnical-religious-cultural diversity = ROMANIA

Localisation map for all mountains in Romania * Streets of Bucharest (my photos) * Timișoara, the forgotten splendor of Austria - Hungary (my photos) * My trips around Romania
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #29
PRIMEVAL

Amorgos

charpentier liked this post
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #30
PRIMEVAL

Islands between Piraeus and Amorgos

Piraeus

Athens

Near Arachova

Meteora

charpentier liked this post
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #31
PRIMEVAL

Stopover place between Kaș and Antalya

Church of Saint Nicholas in Demre. Demre, called Myra in Antiquity, was the city where Nicholas (270-343) was bishop. The church has elements from 5th to 12th century.

charpentier, MilbertDavid liked this post
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #32
MilbertDavid

Likes (Received): 318

wow! lots of impressive places and the meat market in Athens is very neat with the vendors wearing white gowns like they're in medical professions.

PRIMEVAL liked this post
MilbertDavid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #33
capricorn2000

Likes (Received): 33946

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIMEVAL View Post
Houses are painted white to not absorb much heat. The fort in Patmos is not a Crusader castle but a Byzantine monastery built in 11th century over the cave believed to be the one where John the Evangelist had the vision of Apocalipse (in reality, the author of Apocalipse is unknown and the cave identification is pure speculative).

Kos is part of Greece like most islands near the Turkey coast.
Thanks dude for your informative replies. Yes I agree with what you said about the biblical stuff.
In fact, I watched the Atheist experience on You Tube and I think I'm leaning to that direction.
I always know that Kos is a part of Greece and there was a time I always read anything about Greece
and I know a lot of the popular Greek islands but I missed that.....ooohh I think my memory fails me
capricorn2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote