daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #1
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15135

Starkville - A Progressive Mississippi Town

So I finally got around to taking some photos of the town I live in, Starkville. If all goes as planned this will come in 3 installments, downtown, Cotton District, & Mississippi State U. Campus. This first installment will take you through Downtown Starkville. You will find that this is a quintessential, laid back Southern town with little activity on a Tuesday evening. (I took these today)

If you have any questions about anything I would be happy to answer.

Hope you enjoy this 1st installment

My Flickr Page
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain

Highcliff liked this post
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #2
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain

PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #3
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #4
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

Last edited by musiccity; April 10th, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #5
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

k%, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #6
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

Old April 10th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #7
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

PRIMEVAL, Highcliff, mb92 liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #8
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

End of First Installment

-Mark Twain

AshokR, Highcliff, mb92, Roy Corduroy liked this post

Last edited by musiccity; April 10th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #9
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8228

First time that I see pictures of Stakville and it looks like a rather nice Town with lots of Mom And Pop businesses, which reveals a strong sense of community.

Thanks for sharing.

Wichtige Änderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-

Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #10
musiccity
Retired Mod

Thanks for the comment!

-Mark Twain

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #11
tpe

Likes (Received): 3071

Nice to see the small main street stores. People should support them against the big box competition.
tpe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #12
musiccity
Retired Mod

Well we do have a Walmart and they survived that, one thing that helps Starkville is it's high educated populace. Many hate Walmart

-Mark Twain

k%, Highcliff liked this post
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #13
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

First time browsing your collection, and welcome to Urban Showcase, my friend! I understand that Starkville is a college town, but observing your downtown area, it makes me feel like I'm in a different world, a world wherein not every college town deserves tall structures or sprawling town centers just to make a statement. It's like me comparing Starkville to say, Palo Alto or Berkeley or even Austin!

Starkville, judging by the storefronts, sidewalks, and the number of cars on the roadways, is a quaint and charming community, with a lot of old structures preserved over a long time (especially State Theater, The Loft Building, and Hotel Chester, to name a few), and I suspect that the Oktibbeha County Building is the County Center, true? Because if it says County, then I immediately associate it with the county government, meaning I would say that Starkville is the county seat of Oktibbeha County. I wonder if you have any pics of your City Hall so that I could compare it to the Greek colossal planks that grace the County Administrative Building... and by the way, I wonder how come there are not a lot of pedestrians walking along your Main Street at the time you took those photos? It's like, yes, it may be a suburb, but for a college town, it looks pretty strange to me...

Great first impressions, my friend! Looking forward to even more from your community! Perhaps you can also show us the rest of Oktibbeha County too if you get a chance as well...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #14
musiccity
Retired Mod

Starkville isn't a suburb but a small, relatively isolated town in East Mississippi. The building you see is the County Courthouse and Starkville is the only populated place in Oktibbeha County outside a few rural communities.

To answer your question about lack of activity, I actually don't know why there isn't more bustle. I did take these pictures on a Tuesday evening though, there are a lot more people out and about on the weekends.

Also, the City Hall really isn't much, nothing grand

Thanks for commenting FOD!

-Mark Twain

Old April 10th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #15
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Starkville isn't a suburb but a small, relatively isolated town in East Mississippi. The building you see is the County Courthouse and Starkville is the only populated place in Oktibbeha County outside a few rural communities.

To answer your question about lack of activity, I actually don't know why there isn't more bustle. I did take these pictures on a Tuesday evening though, there are a lot more people out and about on the weekends.

Also, the City Hall really isn't much, nothing grand

Thanks for commenting FOD!
That could explain it... take pics on a weekend and I can make a better sense of what truly makes the town interesting. And oh, really, Starkville is like the only incorporated community among all the other towns (or hamlets, as it may be called) in Oktibbeha County? That is fairly interesting... how many people live in the town, and compare that to the number of students who go to your university?

On top of that, I can make a good guess that Starkville is the county center of your county since you said the County Building I saw is the courthouse... and I wonder how many commercial centers are there in your town aside from the Old Main Square. And I sense that Greyhound would be one of the only ways to get in and out of that town, isn't it?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #16
musiccity
Retired Mod

Ive never seen a Greyhound Bus here, so I think the only ways to get into town are by road or by air (Golden Triangle Regional Airport). There is no town square just a strip. The main shopping venues are Walmart and Starkville Crossing Shopping Center.

The population of Oktibbeha County is about 45,000. That includes both Starkville and the roughly 21,000 students that attend Mississippi State.

-Mark Twain

Old April 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

The pics are very well taken.

Do some trees out there blossom in flowers later on Spring?

University small towns, relatively far from big cities and where the university population (students + staff) dominate the demographics, usually have a different dynamic than similar towns on the area/state. They have a peculiar demographic and income pyramid and thus they have this sort of retail and dining scenario shown there: the 30+ population is much more educated than your average small town and earn more than their counterparts next county, thus they can spend more on upscale-ish things. However, being a small town rents are not that high and the pool of student-workers large, thus many business can operate with a lower patronage than they'd have to get on a bigger city to be viable.

I lived in such a town elsewhere for a while and it was the same.

Does Starkville "die down" during summer, as in few students + scorching humid heat?

This all being said, I think this "oh the city has small stores thus it must be a nice community in terms or people" controversy is silly. Small stores that don't depend on volume and discounts (where they can't compete with Wal Mart) thrive when they have the proper demographics (people and business scenario) to sustain them. In countries with few restrictions on private enterprise like USA, they are more a by-product of disposable income, rents, lack of overall market strength to sustain bigger chains than of the goodness of character of its inhabitants.

Why don't you show us the university campus musiccity?
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #18
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The pics are very well taken.

Do some trees out there blossom in flowers later on Spring?
The trees have already blossomed actually, most trees are just green now.

Quote:
Does Starkville "die down" during summer, as in few students + scorching humid heat?
Yes! Big time, the only people in Starkville over the summer are old people. (Starkville is a popular retirement destination for Mississippians). Also, summer are horrible in Starkville. You can get temps up to 40c with 90% humidity.

Quote:
Why don't you show us the university campus musiccity?
I will soon, that will be the third installment

-Mark Twain

Old April 11th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #19
musiccity
Retired Mod

Any other questions? comments?

-Mark Twain

Old April 11th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #20
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Are there open container laws in Starkville?'

Also, a comment: I don't like the way wires are all messed up on this pic. They should fix it. I know American cities don't have money to put it underground because they are wide and large, but at least use bundled wiring to avoid the messy look of it.

image hosted on flickr

shops by rronriver, on Flickr

mb92 liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; April 11th, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote