daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #21
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
Ive never seen a Greyhound Bus here, so I think the only ways to get into town are by road or by air (Golden Triangle Regional Airport). There is no town square just a strip. The main shopping venues are Walmart and Starkville Crossing Shopping Center.

The population of Oktibbeha County is about 45,000. That includes both Starkville and the roughly 21,000 students that attend Mississippi State.
Oh really? That's quite a tough place to be in, especially with potentially a very limited public transit network within town, and without Greyhound, it looks like the best way to get there is by car from Memphis. But, let me tell you: Starkville being a popular retirement place for seniors is something I have not heard of before, and with summer temps reaching 40C (104F) and 90% humidity, that clearly reminds me of Manila, the city I used to live, in which daily temperatures never fall below 25C (77F) and humidity levels above 50% are common (but that's because the city is close to the Equator, thus those are normal! ).

I'm surprised though at how much car traffic Starkville gets: as a college town, indeed, there will be a lot of cars that go through the city. But, combine that as a retirement community, and I find the town fascinating in that your town center is similar to many thriving communities around the country, not just here in CA where I am now.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #22
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are there open container laws in Starkville?'

Also, a comment: I don't like the way wires are all messed up on this pic. They should fix it. I know American cities don't have money to put it underground because they are wide and large, but at least use bundled wiring to avoid the messy look of it.
Starkville actually did a pretty good job keeping the overhead wires away from Main Street but it's at the expense of the downtown side streets like that picture you quoted.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #23
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Oh really? That's quite a tough place to be in, especially with potentially a very limited public transit network within town, and without Greyhound, it looks like the best way to get there is by car from Memphis. But, let me tell you: Starkville being a popular retirement place for seniors is something I have not heard of before, and with summer temps reaching 40C (104F) and 90% humidity, that clearly reminds me of Manila, the city I used to live, in which daily temperatures never fall below 25C (77F) and humidity levels above 50% are common (but that's because the city is close to the Equator, thus those are normal! ).

I'm surprised though at how much car traffic Starkville gets: as a college town, indeed, there will be a lot of cars that go through the city. But, combine that as a retirement community, and I find the town fascinating in that your town center is similar to many thriving communities around the country, not just here in CA where I am now.
Old people actually like hot climates, that's why Arizona and Florida have so many old people. Mississippi has a hot climate but it really doesn't attract a lot of retirees for obvious reasons.. except Starkville because it is a college town and more progressive.
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:48 AM   #24
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Old people actually like hot climates, that's why Arizona and Florida have so many old people. Mississippi has a hot climate but it really doesn't attract a lot of retirees for obvious reasons.. except Starkville because it is a college town and more progressive.
I figured... same as my uncle who will retire soon to the Philippines.

But I wonder: with a lot of seniors living in Starkville, as well as a lot of students, what kind of public transportation is available to get around town, as well as getting to and from nearby larger cities in the area? I see so many cars, but no buses, that's why.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #25
musiccity
Retired Mod

Starkville is actually implementing a BRT that will begin service in August

http://www.reflector-online.com/news...5#.UWX8YbWsiSo

-Mark Twain
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #26
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Starkville is actually implementing a BRT that will begin service in August

http://www.reflector-online.com/news...5#.UWX8YbWsiSo
Awesome! I am all for BRT, and I will check that out when I get to visit your place. I hope that the BRT over there will be similar to what I get here, which would be:

• frequent service
• fare similar to local buses
• limited stops (also include shopping malls)
• traffic signal priority

And I wonder if it will operate weekdays only, if not also weekends and holidays, and more when you've got events at the university?

musiccity liked this post
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:29 AM   #27
Rumors

Likes (Received): 1712

It looks like a wonderful place musiccity.

musiccity liked this post
Rumors no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 03:31 AM   #28
musiccity
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Awesome! I am all for BRT, and I will check that out when I get to visit your place. I hope that the BRT over there will be similar to what I get here, which would be:

• frequent service
• fare similar to local buses
• limited stops (also include shopping malls)
• traffic signal priority

And I wonder if it will operate weekdays only, if not also weekends and holidays, and more when you've got events at the university?
It will probably be more active during the weekdays, unless it's a game weekend. I'm pretty sure it will include all those other things though.

And we have some Filipinos here by the way, I believe there is a Filipino Student Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors View Post
It looks like a wonderful place musiccity.
Thanks Rumors!

-Mark Twain
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #29
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

looka like a small college town .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #30
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Did something important happened in the context of Civil War near Starkville?
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #31
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Looks like a typical small college town. Most of the things that probably make it pleasant--the restaurants, the arts venues, the bookstores--are likely due to the presence of the school and its students.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #32
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

Also, a comment: I don't like the way wires are all messed up on this pic. They should fix it. I know American cities don't have money to put it underground because they are wide and large, but at least use bundled wiring to avoid the messy look of it.
Your understanding of America isn't quite as you suppose. First of all, putting the wires underground would be a cost to the utility company, not the town. A few American towns and cities have municipally owned power companies but not many. Most are investor-owned businesses. Some are co-operatives, "owned" by the rate payers.

Those that are investor-owned or rate-payer owned are usually regulated by a state utility regulator who allows them to make a certain percentage of profit. So any increased costs for something like putting the wires underground would probably be passed directly to electricity users in higher rates. And they may have judged that the aesthetics aren't worth it to them.

The city could probably require undergrounding of the wires--and then listen to all the complaints about the higher electric bills. They've chosen not to which is democracy in action.

There is also an argument to be made that underground isn't better in every way. It's harder and more expensive to repair among other things.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #33
Suburbanist
on the road

Agreed, but bundling the wires on a single mesh instead of having many different ones already improves the appearance greatly.

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #34
Hardcore Terrorist
Stuckwithacrappyusername

Likes (Received): 2096

Thanks for the pics, it's nice to see this side of the US. Starkville looks nice

My threads:
Liège, Belgium
The Rest of Belgium
Everywhere else I go

My artwork & photography:
www.rubenalexander.nl

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rubenalexander
Hardcore Terrorist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #35
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10971

Thanks for the tour and look forward to more photos. It's much smaller/more deserted than I expected.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #36
Suburbanist
on the road

He made pics on a quiet hour.
Old April 15th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #37
musiccity
Retired Mod

Hey guys thanks for the comments, I will have more pics next weekend (Cotton District Art Festival)

-Mark Twain
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #38
musiccity
Retired Mod

So me and my friend went out to the nearby Waverly Plantation this morning for an extra credit assignment. Took pics

The exterior was a little worn but the grounds and interior were gorgeous!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

mb92 liked this post
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #39
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

mb92, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old April 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #40
musiccity
Retired Mod

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-Mark Twain

mb92 liked this post