daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

hkskyline's PRAGUE ... Rediscovered

My Prague photo set is not new. It was taken from one of my earlier Europe excursions, and I had posted 11 parts of photos from 2006-2008. So what prompted this thread?

My Past Prague Threads
Part 11 | Part 10 | Part 9 | Part 8 | Part 7 | Part 6 | Part 5 | Part 4 | Part 3 | Part 2 | Part 1 |

Following the trip, I relocated several times across countries. During the move, my entire Prague photo collection was safely stored on a CD. Upon settling down in Hong Kong by late 2006, I found out the disk became corrupted, and I had already deleted the hard disk copy to make room for subsequent trips' photos. 2 long days of photo-taking were lost, and even the data recovery company couldn't help me. This was especially pitiful since I had clear weather for the entire trip, and I didn't think I have the stamina to re-do the whole thing again in the future. To put things into perspective, I took some 3000 photos on these 2 days.

I vowed to go back to Prague, but never got a chance as other trips came up. This CD continued to sit at the back of my mind, out of sight, until 2012 - 6 years later. I had previously tried searching for a back-up copy unsuccessfully with a few Hong Kong forumers in London whom I tripped and contacted throughout these years. The tides turned in 2012, when fellow forumer Rachmaninov informed me he found a copy during his computer housekeeping. Sure enough, they were all there. I was ecstatic.

We now revisit some of these lost works taken in 2006, mixed in with my unaffected collection. No words are suitable for my gratitude to Rachmaninov, and to InitialD18 who went on othe trip with me. Prague was the best trip of my life.

The story begins in Berlin, where we opted to take a train to Prague, stopping in Dresden along the way. Unfortunately, the announcements at the Dresden station were only in German, and the Prague service seemed to have switched tracks at the last minute. For 2 hours, we were stranded in Dresden under crystal blue skies.

The delay didn't affect our plan at all, since we had originally scheduled to arrive in Prague in the evening, and leave the sightseeing until the next day. However, the concierge for the apartment we rented was going to close at 9pm. With our new and delayed departure, we were close to missing that deadline. Thankfully, the concierge received our SMS and waited for us. The blue skies held on for us as well. In fact, not a drop of rain fell during our entire Prague stay. There was barely a cloud in sight either.

I was surprised how touristy Prague has become. Storekeepers and restaurant workers spoke very good English, and were all ready to receive so many tourists. This was not the Eastern Europe I had expected. But then, with so much great architecture, no wonder there were so many tourists.

Prague has a lot of observation points for a city of its size. The Town Square already had 2. In the end, I think I went up 9 towers, each with its own unique view and well worth the admission price.

Awesome skies, the right direction of light, and lovely buildings. This theme would reiterate again and again throughout the trip.

Prague's historic gems have been generally well-preserved. In the more working class areas away from the tourist attractions, there was plenty of graffiti across walls, windows, and doors.

As I previously mentioned, each tower's view was a little different. Powder Tower offers a view of the Town Square and Prague Castle in one shot. Back in those days, I didn't have much thought about the time of day to photograph certain directions against the light, so I was quite lucky the whole Prague set came out pretty well.

Thankfully, cranes are nowhere to be seen within the historic city centre.

Prague had set a few records for me - the most photographs taken in a single day, and the most number of battery recharges I had to do (I had 2 batteries). We would sweep street after street photographing everything and anything along the way. On the craziest day, I clocked in some 1800 photos and had to go back to the apartment twice to recharge my batteries.

My digital camera got a good workout in Prague. I had 2 cameras with me just in case the extra batteries run out or one decides to drop dead from exhaustion.

I was quite happy with what Berlin and Dresden, my prior 2 stops, had to offer. But Prague blew me away. Every other building seemed to have some ornament worth photographing.

Food was reasonably-priced, but we found out in the end there were far cheaper options outside the touristy historic centre. There was a huge Tesco near the apartment that accepted euros and gave local currency for change at a very reasonable exchange rate. So while we were gouged for lunches and dinners, at least the other food needs were at a discount.

Not all buildings were brightly-coloured or in pristine condition. But a little bit of wear and tear actually enhances the building's historic value. The contrast between the different shades of paint is nevertheless pretty.

These cute trams are well-kept and can go quite fast, zipping around the historic centre and across the river to more far-flung districts.

I wonder if these statues and ornaments need to be scrubbed and cleaned every now and then?

Even Charles Bridge has towers that can be ascended. There seems to be an endless supply of great vantage points.

The skyline seemed medieval but the television tower spoiled the view. Nevertheless, Prague's historic centre is generally unspoiled. Even the newer reconstructions respect the old order quite well.

I went to Prague Castle twice to explore it in great detail. The cathedral could be spotted from many parts of town and it did not disappoint.

Perched on a hill and being so tall, views from the cathedral's tower were spectacular.

The weather could not be any more perfect.

As a result of this rediscovered collection, I've started to revamp my Prague gallery. You can check it out on my website : http://globalphotos.org/prague.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

TimothyR, MilbertDavid liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43466

Wonderful images. I especially like the images of the crowds crossing the bridge - very evocative.
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2100

Magnificent. The whole city looks like a masterpiece.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #4
MilbertDavid

Likes (Received): 318

with that awesome old architecutre and welcoming people, this city is a quite a tourists' haven.
thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos.
MilbertDavid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Thanks for your support. Let's explore Prague's architecture - close-up!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old April 29th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Benonie
Bike It!

Likes (Received): 19878

Gorgeous Prague! Nice pictures.
Benonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244761

Really great, very nice photos from Prague