daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Longbottom

Likes (Received): 6

MISC | Unopened metro systems

Hello everyone!

I would like to know if you know about any metro systems that have been built or partially built but never opened for traffic. I´m talking about whole lines or systems here, not stations (which many metro systems have). Charleroi is probably one of the most famous examples, and I know they started building a metro in Bratislava, whish was cancelled after some initial work had been done. But are there any more, especially where you really can see the work?
Longbottom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #2
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

Cincinatti

mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

It finally opened quite recently (end of 2011), but for years and years the Algiers metro was lying un-used, with most of the tunnels and station boxes for the core part of the system in place, but no tracks and signals. It was a mixture of instability within the country, technical difficulties and contractors being swapped around.

At the moment there are several significant extensions to the Valencia metro system in Spain that are >90% complete but haven't opened due to the budget crunch meaning there is no money available for finishing the works and getting the extensions into service.
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #4
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3920

The same can be said of the line connecting Barcelona to its Airport, almost ready since 2 or 3 years ago but it hasn't opened due to lack of funds to finish the last details. According to latest news it won't open before 2015 or 2016.

Bertolt Brecht
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Is Cincinnati the only such metro that can be said to be "unopened and never will be" ? We can think of many projects, especially in former USSR (Omsk, Krasnoyarsk, Donetsk) that are in semi-abandonment but the local authorities still think it's possible to complete them.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15408

In Seville, work on the metro started in 1974, but after cancellation in 1983, and change of plans, finally line 1 opened in 2009.
Some part of the works done in the 1970s and 80s was finally used, but not all of it, and some stations lay unused and unfinished, and won´t be used for other lines.

=================================================================================

In Barcelona, not only L9/L10 has parts still yet to be used.
Actually, three more lines have been unused for many, many years.

The best known and most infamous case is the section of L2 between Paral.lel and Sagrada Familia, in which construction started in 1968, but stopped due to lack of funds, and didn´t open till 1995.

The tunnel of line 4 between Urquinaona and the closed station Correos (located between Jaume I and Barceloneta) was built in 1909, but didn´t open till 1926 for the section Urquinaona-Jaume I, and till 1934 on the section Jaume I-Correos.

Then there´s the L7 tunnel between Gràcia and Avinguda Tibidabo (on one of the FGC lines, but entirely urban, underground and used as a metro), construction started in 1921 but wasn´t opened till 1953.

There are three unused stations too:

-Gaudí, on L5, between Sagrada Familia and Sant Pau-Dos de Maig, designed to belong in L2, but never used since that part of what was L2 became a part of L5. Sometimes the lights are on, there, and it has seldom been used for placing ads.
-Banco, on L4, between Urquinaona and Jaume I, unfinished and never used (too close to the other two stations, and platforms too short).
-Ernest Lluch, on L5, between Collblanc and Pubilla Cases, unfinished. Has to be an interchange station with the tram.

Three more stations are closed:

-Bordeta, on L1. It´s the original end of L1. Now it´s technically closed, and has lost a platform. Sometimes it´s used to do technical passenger transfers between trains, since it´s still the access to the main depot on L1. But you cannot enter from the street anymore.
-Fernando, on L3. Opened in 1946, closed in 1968. Very little remains left.
-Correos, on L4. Tunnel started in 1909, station opened in 1934, closed in 1972. You can still see remains of it if you pay attention.

Last edited by 437.001; April 12th, 2013 at 03:01 AM.
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #7
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Is Cincinnati the only such metro that can be said to be "unopened and never will be" ? We can think of many projects, especially in former USSR (Omsk, Krasnoyarsk, Donetsk) that are in semi-abandonment but the local authorities still think it's possible to complete them.
Omsk isn't abandoned, it will be opened, maybe not as metro, but some kind of rapid rail transit - for sure.
Krasnoyarsk is officially dead, building sites either filled with earth or shuted down permanantly.
Donetsk isn't officially dead, building sites are 'active', bot no actual construction work are done, so I would say it's going Krasnoyarsk way in near future.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
building sites are 'active', bot no actual construction work are done
how is that logically possible?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #9
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
how is that logically possible?
You can't just stop construction of subway. You must stop it at certain safe point, in a state which wouldn't be dangerous to building and roads above. Until then some maintenance, like water pumping should be done regularly.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #10
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Sofia metro had an abandoned tunnel for years, now part of metro line 2
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Longbottom

Likes (Received): 6

Seems to be more than I thought. But most seem to be opened finally anyway. I heard some rumours that even the unopened Charleroi line to Centenaire might get opened. Bratislava is supposed to get a metro, but not according to the original plans (or so I heard, but I can´t swear to it).
Longbottom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #12
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Antwerp has a portion of metro/premetro that is unopened. Parts may be opened/used in the future. Work stopped in the 1980's.
http://www.adventureworldwide.net/st...a-route-part-2

Last edited by tampasteve; April 16th, 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: fixing my stupidity
tampasteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #13
mopc

Defunct and unopened are very different things, but interesting nonetheless.
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #14
mopc

São Paulo "Moema Line", several hundred meters were dug up in the 70's but the line was never completed, so it is used as a supply storage connected to Paraíso station

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #15
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

There are some on this page which I was working on and have yet to finish.

http://www.hiddensubways.com/
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #16
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopc View Post
Defunct and unopened are very different things, but interesting nonetheless.
Thanks...I edited my earlier post. That's what happens when I do not read close enough!
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #17
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

We in Istanbul have at the moment a very unusal thing: an unopened ghost metro in operation! Istanbul's M3 was to open September 2012. The link between the new line and the existing metro system was still under construction (M1B), but that was to be comensated for by express busses. At the last minute the opening was cancelled and now we have since over half a year a metro running ca. every 30 minutes, but used only by metro staff. For a map see
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ransit_Map.png
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #18
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #19
bmfarley

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Hirsch View Post
We in Istanbul have at the moment a very unusal thing: an unopened ghost metro in operation! Istanbul's M3 was to open September 2012. The link between the new line and the existing metro system was still under construction (M1B), but that was to be comensated for by express busses. At the last minute the opening was cancelled and now we have since over half a year a metro running ca. every 30 minutes, but used only by metro staff. For a map see
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ransit_Map.png
That sounds like a service that is typically called "pre-revenue" service in the USA. However, pre-revenue service is typically only 8-12 weeks here .

This has been going on since September 2012? Wow!

Maybe the transit agency does not have enough vehicles to run the line as they need too?
bmfarley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Baron Hirsch
Kara Tren Solcusu

Likes (Received): 475

No, the funny thing is the first vehicles arrived as early as 2008, the original date for the metro to open. We have in the Turkish forum been second guessing the municipality's reason for having a finished metro and not leting people use it. The most benevolent interpretation is that the line is considered not feasible to operate without the missing metro link of line M1B. The less benevolent interpretation is that they are waiting for a date closer to municipal elections (spring 2014).
Baron Hirsch no está en línea   Reply With Quote