daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
AmoreUrbs

Likes (Received): 4322

European heritage must be protected

I don't know if this is the right place to post it, anyways here you can "admire" what we're becoming .. We destroy our precious heritage without any sense, even when such beauties are concerned, and this is only one of the many legalized disfigurements..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkKzNWemmMQ

I don't think you have to know French to understand it, pictures express this more clearly ..

Last edited by AmoreUrbs; April 12th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
AmoreUrbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Why the HELL was this allowed to be demolished? That makes me sick.

It reminds me of an old church here in Indianapolis that was demolished.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #3
julian.ds

Likes (Received): 6

this makes me furious and to want to hit whatever idiot is responsible for this. How utterly disgusting, irresponsible and distasteful. Shame on all those responsible for their lack of care, foresight and respect
julian.ds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21137

Oh, nostalgia. I'm all in favor of razing old building to build new ones. Especialyl if they are very modern and high-tech.
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #5
socrates#1fan

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Oh, nostalgia. I'm all in favor of razing old building to build new ones. Especialyl if they are very modern and high-tech.
Yes, but you are very strange.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #7
k%
Pijże

Likes (Received): 19932

Quote:
I would raze down the colosseum, who cares about that old crap, we can build new, bigger and high- tech stadium there
k% no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #8
AmoreUrbs

Quote:
No.. I don't want to reply, because I don't want to swear or anything.. You must have absolutely no heart to say something like that.. indeed you also seem to like big sprawly destructive suburbs, so that would further confirm my first quote..
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9
AmoreUrbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Why the HELL was this allowed to be demolished? That makes me sick.

It reminds me of an old church here in Indianapolis that was demolished.

I feel very sad for what's happening everywhere in the world.. sacred places being razed by money makers.. That's just shameful! I know Asia and America have been suffering by this more than Europe

Donodöner liked this post
Old April 15th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #10
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreUrbs View Post
I feel very sad for what's happening everywhere in the world.. sacred places being razed by money makers.. That's just shameful! I know Asia and America have been suffering by this more than Europe
It is more severe in Asia than it is America, but it is a big problem.

A lot of it has to do with the communities that get a hold of these structures. If they feel no connection to them, they feel no loss at their demise.

This church in Indianapolis was built ages ago by European-Americans. They, and their descendants have all vanished from the neighborhood.

Old April 15th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #11
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The gothic cathedral was amazing and I can't imagine why they would demolish it. But luckily it seems this demolition of old structures is lessening.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #12
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

It was, apparently, in a very bad conservation condition as stones kept falling down. Still... the ruthless way it was demolished lets me think it was an excuse to some extent... nothing was saved and it cost 350,000 euros to get the job done...
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21137

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreUrbs View Post
No.. I don't want to reply, because I don't want to swear or anything.. You must have absolutely no heart to say something like that.. indeed you also seem to like big sprawly destructive suburbs, so that would further confirm my first quote..
I'm in favor of the new over the old, the future over the past. Only buildings that are relevant on a national scale should be preserved. "yet another late-19th century American Gothic cathedral" doesn't fit the threshold.

It is not about "having a heart", it is about considering buildings as functional things that you can use and throw away, in a sense, when they have outlived their usefulness.

Would a city put in a museum every single vehicle its police, snow plowing, EMU ever used?

Would a city save ever lawn mower used to keep its gardens neat?

Would a city store old pipes used on its sewage system as they are replaced?

So why would a city hoard on buildings that have no longer a function to perform? Especially when those buildings are privaty prorety and not a city property?
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #14
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
It is not about "having a heart", it is about considering buildings as functional things that you can use and throw away
well, quite.

I thinking having no "soul" would be a closer description, as you seem incapable of seeing anything beyond its function, even if a lot of modern buildings are disastrous from a functional point of view.

Quote:
, in a sense, when they have outlived their usefulness.
Is enhancing the aesthetics of the environment not a use?

Quote:
Would a city put in a museum every single vehicle its police, snow plowing, EMU ever used?

Would a city save ever lawn mower used to keep its gardens neat?

Would a city store old pipes used on its sewage system as they are replaced?
No, because they'd be of no loss. Nobody would look at the modern replacements and think them inferior.

Quote:
So why would a city hoard on buildings that have no longer a function to perform? Especially when those buildings are privaty prorety and not a city property?
So you think cities should knock down old buildings that they don't even own?

You must be the kind of person who'd go to Milton Keynes and think "yes, all cities should be like this"
Rev Stickleback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #15
Paper Ninja

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
, it is about considering buildings as functional things that you can use and throw away, in a sense, when they have outlived their usefulness.

That would put buildings in the same category as a used condom.
Paper Ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #16
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Ninja View Post
That would put buildings in the same category as a used condom.
LOL