daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #261
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9781

Housing development in Nycoveien 2 in Nydalen.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Nyc....7727866?hl=no

EasySeven, Registered_User, GGJ16, Bjørne liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #262
Galro

Some pictures of the Sørenga development which is essentially completed by now.

I think there is general agreement among Norwegian users that this development turned out to be a disappointment. I at least had hopped for something more similar to the Sluseholmen development in Copenhagen or Tjuvholmen here in Oslo. Instead we ended up with a rather monotone development with little variation in the designs and colors used. The fit and finish also appeared rather poor in some places. While that said, even though I was disappointed, it still offers some qualities: At least it is built around a rather urban street grid (thankfully we did not build this proposal instead), they built a couple of canals which I always like, a number of the buildings have green roofs which contrasts nicely against the dark bricks and blue sea, and the last two buildings had rather nice designs. These buildings are not really shown in these pictures, but I will post some more of them at a later date should I find some.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/S%C...10.75486?hl=no

EasySeven, yeisson, Registered_User liked this post

Last edited by Galro; May 6th, 2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #263
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Nordre Gate by Alliance Arkitekter. It was just approved. It will actually be constructed in wood despite its appearance.

The current situation can be seen here: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.92105...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Some more renderings from an ad for apartments in the building. It is expected to be completed by 2019. As mentioned it will be fully constructed in wood.

https://www.finn.no/realestate/newbu...cation=0.20003
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #264
Galro

Re-development plans for the old cable factory at Økern. The design is by A-lab.

The site today:

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/search/%C...!3m1!1e3?hl=no

EasySeven liked this post
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #265
Galro

Quote:
A yet another new city block in Lillestrøm. I believe this one should be under construction now.

Construction update:

Old May 6th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #266
Galro

Quote:
Facts | Architects: a-lab | Location
Frysja Masterplan

http://i.imgur.com/3z9EECn.jpg
The first apartments of Frysja developments have been put out on the market. Here are one new renderings and a larger version of one already posted from the sales add. The first building step is expected to be completed in 2019.

Do note all the greeneries that are on the northern side of the development though. This is all parts of the protected landscape area of Maridalen/Nordmarka and it marks the northern edge of the Oslo building zone. I think it is quite cool that we are starting to see relatively dense and urban developments so close to the edges of the urban area. I think this closeness of the countryside and the forest to the city is a rather unique feature of Oslo.

https://www.finn.no/realestate/newbu...cation=0.20003

tomPunk liked this post
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #267
Galro

Infill in Hegdehaugsveien 25 by Arcasa. Rather basic architecture to say the least but at least it fills a void in the streetscape.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.92133...7i13312!8i6656
Old May 7th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #268
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

Thanks for all the updates Galro!

I´m not a fan of Oslo´s current direction in all cases, but thanks to your big effort, I have a better overview of it.

Oslo isn´t free of quality projects and because they are rare, I enjoy them all more when they do surface and materialize.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #269
vxxrarurgitu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wonderful city

It'll be a wonderful city in the world.
vxxrarurgitu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #270
ELH

Update from the construction of the new national museum, which according to norwegian newspaper VG will be the largest museum of northern europe (however that defined).

Source: http://www.vg.no/rampelys/kunst/se-d...iv/a/23982555/
Old May 8th, 2017, 02:48 AM   #271
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
Thanks for all the updates Galro!

I´m not a fan of Oslo´s current direction in all cases, but thanks to your big effort, I have a better overview of it.

Oslo isn´t free of quality projects and because they are rare, I enjoy them all more when they do surface and materialize.
Thanks.

I don't think the quality of our projects are the issue as such though. I am admittedly not completely neutral, but I can't say I see so much more quality developments in other cities and I think Oslo actually have built up a sizable amount of quality modern architecture since the turn of the century. At least to my taste.

While that is said I do think there are some serious issues when it comes to the continuity of planning in this city and probably the country in general. It becomes a hotchpotch where every urban development becomes a island with little connections to each other.

Another issue I think we have is the lack of official acknowledgement of mistakes done in the past. I believe Oslo have done a lot of mistakes when it comes to urban planning from the '30s and the onwards and most people on the street seems to mirror this opinion, which is partly why Oslo have gotten a rather poor reputation. However if you talk to officials and the people in charge of developing the city for the future then they will rarely agree with you. This makes it very hard to undue to mistakes of the pasts and hampers large part of the cities ability to become a functioning and attractive urban environment. Ideally I would have liked to see it work targeted at restoring the urban street grids of the historic inner city and rebuilding some specific pieces of lost architecture.

Still I believe that the city is probably on the right track. The city have gotten considerable better, denser, less car-centric and more enjoyable only on the time I've been member on this forum let alone from the time when I grew up.
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #272
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Interesting thread.

Quote:
While that is said I do think there are some serious issues when it comes to the continuity of planning in this city and probably the country in general. It becomes a hotchpotch where every urban development becomes a island with little connections to each other.
Contemporary architecture is probably better in Oslo than in most other cities. I have to say Tjuvholmen is the most pleasant modern city quarter I've ever visited. In addition to the high quality architecture the area is very lively which is something most modern developments normally seem to struggle with. However, Tjuvholmen is very posh and looks borderline 'fake', especially considering that Oslo overall is a quite gritty city. As you say the sharp contrast with the rest of the city feels weird.

Quote:
Another issue I think we have is the lack of official acknowledgement of mistakes done in the past. I believe Oslo have done a lot of mistakes when it comes to urban planning from the '30s and the onwards and most people on the street seems to mirror this opinion, which is partly why Oslo have gotten a rather poor reputation.
Oslo is not as well planned as the other Nordic capitals and the city centre does 'suffer' from messy streets and bulky post-war developments, much like British cities do. However, as you move away from the commercial heart of the city there are some lovely leafy areas with beautiful buildings. Grünerløkka is particularly great. The fact that Oslo's city centre fragmented and modern also allows for larger scale projects giving the city a more contemporary look and image - just look at the cool harbour developments.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #273
Curz
que conoce muchos idiomas

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Some pictures of the completed upgrade of Prinsens Gate in Kvadraturen. It was made into a street reserved for trams like what Storgata will also become. It's quite hard to find pictures of the finished results though so maybe I will go down and take some pictures on my own one day, but this is what I've found for now. Both the location and the situation before the upgrade can be seen here:
Did they remove tracks from Tollbugata?
No existe ningún ser supremo. Cuando te mueres, te mueres y ya, listo, se acabó.
Curz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 03:59 PM   #274
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curz View Post
Did they remove tracks from Tollbugata?
They are planning to, but they are still there at the moment as far as I know. Tollbugata is supposed to be developed into a street reserved for buses when everything is done.
Old May 8th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #275
Galro

A proposed re-development of a parking lot outside of the Bjerke horse racing track in Suburban Oslo.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Bje....8088285?hl=no

GGJ16, EasySeven liked this post
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #276
Galro

Construction update of a "infill" (although the plot was built up in the past too) in Huitfeldts gate 15 by Jensen & Skodvin.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Hui...6!4d10.7241285

ThatOneGuy, EasySeven, yeisson liked this post
Old May 8th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #277
ELH

Quote:
I don't think the quality of our projects are the issue as such though. I am admittedly not completely neutral, but I can't say I see so much more quality developments in other cities and I think Oslo actually have built up a sizable amount of quality modern architecture since the turn of the century. At least to my taste.
Yes, Oslo at least changes. There are cities in Europe feeling as stalled (even if things do get built), such as Hannover (which is why I have focused only on its historic architecture in my thread about it). Oslo grows, so of the mass being build, some projects have good quality. Maybe a higher number of projects than in one of those cities feeling as having stalled. Off course, being stalled is no eternal condition. Oslo was, in the 80s.

I like the whole Tjuvholmen (which is a big chunk of development), the Opera and I can tolerate the rest of the Bjørvika developments. These projects should be judged on their own premises, as city elongations.

It is the direction of the rest of the city I have objections with. Off course, I`m not alone about voicing concerns. Too few architects draw too much of the new urban housing (which reduces architectural variation). These are often build to mend dire housing shortage; never a good prescription for lasting and quality architecture.

Others have mentioned the lack of central family size apartments and frequent lack of high quality outdoor spaces. Personally, I miss special care to the 1- to 2- business-socket needed to make development truly urban. Further, lacking attention to facade materials, the willingness to invest in true and experimental novelty. Handcraft is anathema in our country - here we have much to learn from a coutry like Germany.

Quote:
Ideally I would have liked to see it work targeted at restoring the urban street grids of the historic inner city and rebuilding some specific pieces of lost architecture.
I agree with you. You probably have a better overview than me, I can remember seeing displays of some lost historical buildings close to or on the area of the present governmental quarter (which by the way lies too central to do the commercial city center good).

Generally, I think Oslo should be more preservationist (if not reconstructionist) of architecture from other eras. That means not only saving single buildings, but whole urban habitats. That means: If a hand full of city blocks contain numerous, classical era residential buildings, but look like jaws with several lost theet - you don`t build an anonymous looking highrise in its back yard (or what could have been) with entrance in one of the gaping holes. Rather, you try to repair the jaw (which does not exclude using contemporary architecture, as long as it has high and individualized quality).

Last edited by ELH; May 8th, 2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old May 8th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #278
ELH

As for Oslo city center (as most narrowly defined), the diagnosis is known: A huge portion of it functions as no mans land. It is an area where at night, you meet no people or the wrong people. There are barely any permanent residents of the erea, much less street leven business than you´d expect - and its not even an office ghetto in the normal sense of the word. It´s the oldest part of the city center. So, it has a huge potential through the right kind of change. The best thing that could happen to Oslo as a cosmopolis, now that the all consuming focus on the "harbour city" is slowly drawing towards an end, is if this portion of it would come to live.

I´m talking about the green encircled area on the map.

Behind it, there´s a blue encircled area. That is the closest thing Oslo comes to an "old-town". Lying behind that green encircled no mans land, it has also been de-prioritized for way to long. It is as if it is not a real part of the city picture. Only tourists going to the castle go there - and then back to the real city somewhere else. Great portions of the area has been own by the military because of the old affiliation with the fortress, but in a city development context for this century, that´s a real outdated model.

I think that in 50 years, both areas will be living, breathing and integral parts of the city.

EasySeven liked this post

Last edited by ELH; May 8th, 2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #279
Galro

Quote:
I like the whole Tjuvholmen (which is a big chunk of development), the Opera and I can tolerate the rest of the Bjørvika developments. These projects should be judged on their own premises, as city elongations.
I would say Bispevika, Frysja and Vollebekk all have the potential to become nice developments, although it still remains to be seen how the execution is going to be. I have hopes for Filipstad too but it is too early to say how its is going to be as only volume sketches have so far been released of it. In addition there is also a number of "culture" developments which I think will turn out to be of high quality even if I'm not always a fan of their designs. Then there are a number of individual smaller projects like Pilestredet 77, Nordre Gate or Solheimstunet (not inside the municipality of Oslo though) which I all think have potential to become great developments that contributes to their surroundings.

Of the already completed developments then I would say both Tjuvholmen and Vulkan turned out to be largely good developments. In addition to that there is also a number of smaller developments like for example Smykkeskrinet which I would say turned out good.

Quote:
It is the direction of the rest of the city I have objections with. Off course, I`m not alone about voicing concerns. Too few architects draw too much of the new urban housing (which reduces architectural variation). These are often build to mend dire housing shortage; never a good prescription for lasting and quality architecture.
I agree, but I do think we have become better though, both in terms of using different architects and the architects themselves have become better at producing more variety. Just take a look at the aforementioned masterplan for Frysja and compare it with the older masterplans for Kværnerbyen or Ensjøbyen. What we plan now have become both more urban and more varied.

Quote:
I agree with you. You probably have a better overview than me, I can remember seeing displays of some lost historical buildings close to or on the area of the present governmental quarter (which by the way lies too central to do the commercial city center good).
Actually there aren't that much of interest that have been lost around the government blocks. I would guess the biggest loss was the building to the left here which was demolished in the '80s (illegally it is said) to make for this rather bland structure. The majority of the other buildings in that area weren't anything special and was more similar to the ones you find at Grunerløkka today. What I think is more regrettable is how poor their replacements often were and the disregard for the traditional street grid of the area.

Other parts of the city have fared much worse. Here are some examples of buildings that Oslo have lost:

https://dms-cf-04.dimu.org/image/022...sion=1200x1200
https://dms-cf-05.dimu.org/image/032...sion=1200x1200
https://dms-cf-07.dimu.org/image/022...sion=1200x1200
https://dms-cf-01.dimu.org/image/012...sion=1200x1200
https://dms-cf-03.dimu.org/image/022...sion=1200x1200

tomPunk liked this post
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #280
Galro

Quote:
As for Oslo city center (as most narrowly defined), the diagnosis is known: A huge portion of it functions as no mans land. It is an area where at night, you meet no people or the wrong people. There are barely any permanent residents of the erea, much less street leven business than you´d expect - and its not even an office ghetto in the normal sense of the word. It´s the oldest part of the city center. So, it has a huge potential through the right kind of change. The best thing that could happen to Oslo as a cosmopolis, now that the all consuming focus on the "harbour city" is slowly drawing towards an end, is if this portion of it would come to live.

Behind it, there´s a blue encircled area. That is the closest thing Oslo comes to an "old-town". Lying behind that green encircled no mans land, it has also been de-prioritized for way to long. It is as if it is not a real part of the city picture. Only tourists going to the castle go there - and then back to the real city somewhere else. Great portions of the area has been own by the military because of the old affiliation with the fortress, but in a city development context for this century, that´s a real outdated model.

I think that in 50 years, both areas will be living, breathing and integral parts of the city.
The city have already drawn up a plan of how to make Kvadraturen more attractive. I've actually posted part of the product of that plan in this thread already; Both the upgrade of Prinsens gate and the development in Skippergata are part of the attempt to give Kvadraturen new life. The plan identified all the orange colored buildings as having the potential to be re-developed into housing, while yellow is where there currently are housing:

The plan itself is available here: http://www.pangstart.oslo.kommune.no...vadraturen.pdf

ELH liked this post

Last edited by Galro; May 8th, 2017 at 10:25 PM.

Tags
oslo