daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #281
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

Gosh, well I´m allready a reconstructionist (in support of the right urban habitats) - only too bad that idea has such a low standing in Oslo.

The map of kvadraturen is also great, by the way.

Galro liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #282
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9781

Construction update of the Diagonale student housing next to the Opera in Bjørvika. It's the building in the middle with the hole:

Oslo / NO, 2017 by William Veerbeek, on Flickr

tomPunk, EasySeven liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #283
Galro

Ensjø Torg housing development to be built on top of the Ensjø metro station. This however appears to be a fairly low quality development. It is expected to be completed by 2019.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.91324...2!8i6656?hl=no

GGJ16 liked this post
Old May 9th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #284
Galro

Backyard infill in Pilestredet by Grape architects.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Pil....7314525?hl=no
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #285
Galro

Proposed development at Kolbotn in Suburban Oslo. It consist of demolishing "Sentrumsbygget" from 1968 and replace it with a not too dissimilar building with two 12 floor high apartment towers and commercial spaces at the podium towards the street. Part of the development is also the removal of surface parking. It will be fully built in wood.

Sentrumsbygget today (it's building in the middle with the groundscraper and the small tower):

Proposed replacement:

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/141....8038905?hl=no

Bjørne liked this post
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:58 PM   #286
Galro

Infill in Thereses Gate 30 construction update taken by me today.

Old May 10th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #287
Galro

Construction update of Deichmanske library + plus diagonale student housing and office development taken by me today.

EasySeven liked this post
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:32 PM   #288
Galro

Proposed re-development of Tåsen senter.

Now:

Future:

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/T%C....7515818?hl=no

:jax: liked this post
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #289
cityfarmer

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Construction update of the Diagonale student housing next to the Opera in Bjørvika. It's the building in the middle with the hole:

Oslo / NO, 2017 by William Veerbeek, on Flickr
nice
cityfarmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #290
Galro

The planned upgrade of C.J. Hambros plass in front of court house. It is part of the upgrade of the Tullins gate tram line and pavements. The tram stop that is currently at the square will be removed and not replaced as it as deemed to be too little space to build a stop that met modern requirements. Nevertheless it will be a huge upgrade to the square. C.J. Hambros plass is btw another place where Oslo have lost a pretty 19th century building.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/C.+...2!4d10.7417992
Old May 11th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #291
Galro

Office building in Grenseveien at Bryn.

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/@59.91611...2!8i6656?hl=no

GGJ16, Brko liked this post
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #292
Galro

The Tjuvholmen development was mentioned on the previous page. Here are two pictures that I come across that shows what mass changes that area have gone through from 1975 to today.

Bligh, ELH, Andre_idol, EasySeven, bongo-anders liked this post
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #293
:jax:

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Thanks.

I don't think the quality of our projects are the issue as such though. I am admittedly not completely neutral, but I can't say I see so much more quality developments in other cities and I think Oslo actually have built up a sizable amount of quality modern architecture since the turn of the century. At least to my taste.

While that is said I do think there are some serious issues when it comes to the continuity of planning in this city and probably the country in general. It becomes a hotchpotch where every urban development becomes a island with little connections to each other.

Another issue I think we have is the lack of official acknowledgement of mistakes done in the past. I believe Oslo have done a lot of mistakes when it comes to urban planning from the '30s and the onwards and most people on the street seems to mirror this opinion, which is partly why Oslo have gotten a rather poor reputation. However if you talk to officials and the people in charge of developing the city for the future then they will rarely agree with you. This makes it very hard to undue to mistakes of the pasts and hampers large part of the cities ability to become a functioning and attractive urban environment. Ideally I would have liked to see it work targeted at restoring the urban street grids of the historic inner city and rebuilding some specific pieces of lost architecture.

Still I believe that the city is probably on the right track. The city have gotten considerable better, denser, less car-centric and more enjoyable only on the time I've been member on this forum let alone from the time when I grew up.
The 1960's is hard to like in Oslo as elsewhere, though it is too easy to blame everything on that extended decade.

On the whole I think Oslo has done well this century, but there are disappointments. I would put Økern on top there, given how much has been expended on infrastructure, and how important the North-East would be in the future. I've lived an extended period at Storo, and that area has underperformed. Improved a little bit, certainly, but by much less than it should and could, and to some extent was planned.

The waterfront/Fjordbyen has so far ended up better than expected, with quite some variety from one area to the next.

As I see it The Next Big Thing is Groruddalen, and the experience with Økern worries me. Groruddalen has great potential, a potential I am starting to suspect will remain unused.
:jax: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #294
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by :jax: View Post
The 1960's is hard to like in Oslo as elsewhere, though it is too easy to blame everything on that extended decade.
It's not only the '60s though. Galleri Oslo was built in second part of the '80s and that is as bad as anything built in '60s. In fact I think it is worse as they managed to find materials that aged even poorer than concrete.

Quote:

On the whole I think Oslo has done well this century, but there are disappointments. I would put Økern on top there, given how much has been expended on infrastructure, and how important the North-East would be in the future. I've lived an extended period at Storo, and that area has underperformed. Improved a little bit, certainly, but by much less than it should and could, and to some extent was planned.
I would say Fornebu is my biggest disappointment. Ensjø, Hasle and Løren are up there too, but they at least have individual buildings that I think are acceptable.
Quote:
The waterfront/Fjordbyen has so far ended up better than expected, with quite some variety from one area to the next.
I'm rather ambivalent about the Fjordcity. I think the Opera turned out much greater than I had ever imagined and I like the Tjuvholmen development too, but I find Sørenga been rather disappointing and the Barcode development a mixed bag. I think Bispevika have the potential to become a great development with some similarities to Tjuvholmen while the block between Bispevika and the Diagonale development appears to be another disappointment in the makings.

I hope we will see some great projects at Filipstad, but it is too early to say anything more concrete about that.

Quote:
As I see it The Next Big Thing is Groruddalen, and the experience with Økern worries me. Groruddalen has great potential, a potential I am starting to suspect will remain unused.
I think both Vollebekk and the winning masterplan for Ulven shows some great potential so I'm not that pessimistic actually. I think the biggest issue will be to bind all these developments together.
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #295
Galro

Infill in Brugata by Hille Melbye arkitekter.

Old May 12th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #296
Galro

The new House of Oslo/Russløkkveien 26 in Vika by Schmidt Hammer Lassen. They have already been given the approval to demolish the old building but the replacement are going through planning right now. The city have expressed positive views about it though. The current building is a brutalistic, postmodernistic and 21th century architecture fusion horror. It is located right behind the new national museum.

Location and current situation: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Rus...1!4d10.7266541

Brko, EasySeven, yeisson, ELH liked this post
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #297
Galro

Updated renderings of the Slemmestad development. It don't look like the architecture will be much to speak of (although it could be subject to later re-designs, I don't know) but is nice to see such a urban planned development so far out in the Oslo region.

The area today with Oslo on the other side of the fjord:

The plan:

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/347....4981823?hl=no

EasySeven liked this post
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #298
Galro

Quote:
Another Lillestrøm development planned next to the train station.

Two more albeit small renderings of this project. It looks pretty nice.

http://www.tegn3.no/prosjekter

Location: https://www.google.no/maps/place/Lil...6!4d11.0503785

GGJ16 liked this post
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #299
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
A photo taken in the opposite direction. Just a nice photo I found:

The opera can be seen by the water on the left edge of the photo, the barcode project and the area around the central station is excluded.

Galro, OnTheNorthRoad liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #300
Galro

That really is a nice picutre.

Tags
oslo