daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Urban Renewal and Redevelopment Bringing new life into old buildings and neighbourhoods

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #21
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2267

Quote:
Originally Posted by k% View Post
15 mil. $ per year is paid by the national budget for renovations works in Krakow, no other city in Poland have that priviledge.
No other city in Poland have precious historical architectural heritage (castle, churches, 2000 historical buildings...) like Krakow. Krakow is the poland history showcase

krkseg1ops, k% liked this post
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #22
Poul_
薄利多銷寵大企業。

Likes (Received): 839

don't exaggerate, I love Kraków , I live here but Kraków is not the only city in Poland which has precious historical architectural heritage , what about Gdańsk, Wrocław, Poznań, Rzeszów, Warsaw etc and hundrets of small towns. So that grant is a great honor I think !

markfos, Rokugatsu liked this post
Poul_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Lublin is as well historical, do they also renovate a lot there?

On the other hand, this is a Krakow-thread, so I should ask my question somewhere else...
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
markfos
San Escobar

Likes (Received): 4277

Lublin has undergone the huge renovation like all cities in Poland, You and Your parents know Poland quite well so you know how beatiful it is.
markfos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfos View Post
Lublin has undergone the huge renovation like all cities in Poland, You and Your parents know Poland quite well so you know how beatiful it is.
Of course Lublin is really a pearl, though I have never been in Lublin (only seen photos). But are there any renovations in Lublin right now? I mean, did they renovate all of Lublins historical building or?
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #26
k%
Pijże

Likes (Received): 19896

off you go to Lublin/Warsaw/Wroclaw/Gdansk threads !

If there is something to show make a new topic about those cities

I will post more pics of Krakow in the evening
k% no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #27
skyscraperus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poul_ View Post
don't exaggerate, I love Kraków , I live here but Kraków is not the only city in Poland which has precious historical architectural heritage , what about Gdańsk, Wrocław, Poznań, Rzeszów, Warsaw etc and hundrets of small towns. So that grant is a great honor I think !
Maybe reconstructed, repaired and newly builted historical architectural heritage. Only Krakow have almost 100% real old big historical center with a spirit of old times. All we strangers and UNESCO know about real very big historical value of buildings 200-300-400-500 years old in Krakow. This is not same like buildings in Warsaw and Gdańsk 5-10-15-20 years old. Those building are pretty and new and it is not same like valuable old buildings. In one hand we have cities like Paris, Rome, Prague, Krakow and in other hand we have cities like Warsaw, Gdańsk, Dresden.

Orionol, k%, rychlik liked this post
Old April 16th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #28
Aquilani
Amore infinito

Likes (Received): 1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperus View Post
In one hand we have cities like Paris, Rome, Prague, Krakow and in other hand we have cities like Warsaw, Gdańsk, Dresden.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #29
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post

Moscow didn't have anything to do with it though and Polish economy was indeed in very bad state in the '80 the decade of stagnation but poor condition of facades have probably more to do with development of polluting heavy industry that turned them grey and even black.
With Moscow I mean the ideaology, where there is no room for cultural heritage like castels, churches, etc because of the baby eating bourgoise thing The main reason for the poor condition of residential buildings (shown in the pics) was the economic situaton. Correct me of I'm wrong tho
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #30
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

good job k% !
lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #31
skyscraperus
BANNED

Propaganda about communism Poor condition of facades have nothing with communism. In whole Europe facades were in poor condition. In last 10-20 years is trend to painting facades in Europe. Take a look on prewar and 1960/70/80 pictures of Europe, facades were terrible and gray everywhere in London, Paris, Rome, Vienna, Krakow... Communist more reconstructed Warsaw, Gdańsk than post Noncommunist because selfishness of people in capitalism system. In last decades is trend in perfectionism. People do plastic and reconstructive surgery, take diets, go in electric bath, sunbed and painting buildings and houses. That trend came from west and late in East. And that trend is stronger on west because more money.

Horloge de la Conciergerie in Paris from 1370

Before 2012

After 2012

GRAY AND DIRTY FACADES PREWAR NONCUMMUNIST KRAKOW LIKE IN HOLE EUROPE

[IMG]http://oi51.************/34igw7d.jpg[/IMG]

Almost 90% of historical architectural heritage in Warsaw, Gdańsk... is communism job. Today poles only color paint that buildings.

uunxx, Orionol, rychlik, jumping_jack liked this post

Last edited by skyscraperus; April 16th, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #32
k%
Pijże

ok, new page means more pics

Westerplatte street

before

after

Dluga street

before

after

Wielopole street

before

after

Stolarska street

before

after

Sienna street

before

after

Studencka street

before

after

Matejki square

before

after (it was in similar condition like the one on the right)

Czartoryski Museum (the one with this beauty )

before

after

image hosted on flickr

Academy of Fine Arts

before

after

and some bonus ... a little one, nice view with a renovation works going on

and a bigger one, renovations in Wawel Castle Cathedral, centuries old, this chapel - one of many there- is from 1663

Last edited by k%; April 19th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #33
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

It is wonderful to see this glorious city restored to its true beauty. What an exciting time to live.

Some day I will visit and there will be even more restored buildings and streets. The people of Krakow have done so much that is good here. I am looking forward especially to seeing the magnificent churches.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

Aquilani, rychlik, k% liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #34
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15090

Many polish cities have beautiful historic
Centers
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain

rychlik, TimothyR, Paperyostrich, iMaciek liked this post
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #35
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfos View Post
Not the case in Poland, despite communism, Gdańsk (Danzig), Warsaw, Wrocław (Breslau) and many other cities were rebuilt, reconstructions in Poland were really well done so when you look at these buildings you wonder if its reconstruction. Note that Danzig and Breslau were not even Polish cities before WW2, and Warsaw's Old town is now on UNESCO list. Ideology has nth to do here, Polish economy was in horrible state in 80's, actually it led to the fall of communism.
Yes you are right, I think, about Poland. The communist government did restore much of the destroyed heritage but eventually ran out of money. (Regretably they chose not to rebuild the 19th c part of central Warsaw which had been so beautiful before WW2) They did not, however, destroy hundeds of wonderful old buildings in the way that the East German government did. In East Germany, poliltical ideology ruled the day and a great many important structures, damaged in WW2 but quite restorable were demolished purely for political reasons - The Berlin Royal Palace is a typical example. Luckily for Poland the same obsession did not apply. Krakow is looking even better now!

rychlik liked this post
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #36
k%
Pijże

some more for you guys

Mikołajska street

before

after

Blich street

before

after (renovation is still ongoing and will be finished in the summer)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Lubomirskiego street

before

[IMG]http://oi50.************/16blxn7.jpg[/IMG]

after

Radziwiłłowska street

before (this beauty was in very bad condition, in ruin, roof had collapsed...)

after

Wąska street

before

after

CLICK LINK FOR A BIGGER PICTURE

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #37
TimothyR
Ike

It is so encouraging to see all of this. It gives me hope.

There is so much bad news right now - but this is good news. It is so good to see beauty and respect for a city that everyone can enjoy.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

rychlik liked this post
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #38
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

These renovations are wonderful. Krakow is a tribute to the Polish people and a showcase on how to do things right and preserve the jewel that the historical center represents. I hope the work continues and picks up speed. I am truly enjoying this thread. Thanks.

rychlik liked this post
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #39
k%
Pijże

thanks guys for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
It is so encouraging to see all of this.
If I remember good you wrote something about our churches I think you would like this

More pics

and we are already preparing to renovate the Altarpiece of Veit Stoss from XV century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR View Post
There is so much bad news right now.
Hope people of the city of Boston will recover soon from this tragedy ...
Old April 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #40
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by k% View Post

thanks guys for your kind words

If I remember good you wrote something about our churches I think you would like this

More pics

and we are already preparing to renovate the Altarpiece of Veit Stoss from XV century.

Very beautiful. I used google translation to read it. Thanks. The altars are magnificent.

Quote:
Hope people of the city of Boston will recover soon from this tragedy ...
We will. It will take time, but we will.

Thanks for the kind words. Greetings from Boston.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Tags
kraków, restoration