daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #41
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
Piazza dei cavalieri is always "empty", I don't know what you expect but during summer mornings i think there is an average of 20-30 people in the piazza at the same time. Things are different in early morning and especially during lunch break because the biggest university cafeteria si behind the piazza.

La Normale is an elite school, it has few hundreds students and they attend regular courses at University of Pisa and only a couple more at the normale school.

The piazza is also empty because there are no shops, cafè, or offices. The commercial city centre ends in borgo largo and the piazza is in between the tourist area and the commercial centre. The problem with pisa is that most of the tourist only visits piazza dei miracoli, so the flow to the real city centre is limited compared to the number of visitors. Via santa maria, the main road you take from piazza dei miracoli to piazza dei cavalieri will be riqualified in the future and closed to the traffic( hopefully). Also the area adiacent to piazza dei miracoli, now is hosting the old hospital, but when the new one will be finished there will be a big redevelopment
Here's my take on piazzas, given that I'm both a photographer and a town planner: typically, those open spaces would be good meeting spots for people—in the case of the university, students—not only to hangout, but also to voice their opinions and share ideas between students and the general public. But I am a bit surprised that you mentioned the reasons why the piazza is empty: no shops, cafés, or offices. I understand that the piazza is in a university, yet I sense that it can generate activity by adding food stalls there to supplement those existing eateries provided by the college. If it is empty so often, I then wonder what is the actual use of the piazza, especially with its size? And I am pleased to hear that Via Santa Maria will be redeveloped to become a pedestrian street to connect Piazza del Miracoli and Piazza del Cavalieri: hopefully, more shops and restaurants will be made to bolster pedestrian traffic.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #42
Vaidas

Likes (Received): 112

Thank you for the comments!
@fieldsofdreams: my BSc degree was in Nanotechnology and the PhD in Electronic Engineering, so not quite related to City Planning

Regarding P.za dei Cavalieri, it is unusually empty only in these photos. On weekdays around lunchtime it becomes a gathering place and is usually bustling with people, as is also the case on warm Friday/Saturday evenings.
Vaidas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #43
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

Likes (Received): 1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post

Here's my take on piazzas, given that I'm both a photographer and a town planner: typically, those open spaces would be good meeting spots for people—in the case of the university, students—not only to hangout, but also to voice their opinions and share ideas between students and the general public. But I am a bit surprised that you mentioned the reasons why the piazza is empty: no shops, cafés, or offices. I understand that the piazza is in a university, yet I sense that it can generate activity by adding food stalls there to supplement those existing eateries provided by the college. If it is empty so often, I then wonder what is the actual use of the piazza, especially with its size? And I am pleased to hear that Via Santa Maria will be redeveloped to become a pedestrian street to connect Piazza del Miracoli and Piazza del Cavalieri: hopefully, more shops and restaurants will be made to bolster pedestrian traffic.
It's used as meeting spot, concerts, public speeches and more, but it's not full with people 24/7 because there are no venues or simply places to sit.

I won't say it's desert at all, but it's not the most crowded place in the city, also because it's big.
What vaidas is saying is true.

Piazza vittorio emanuele, which has been redeveloped in the worst way possible feels less e,pty because it has bars, benches and it's in between the main commercial street and the train station
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #44
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244822

Great, very nice new photos from Pisa
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #45
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

While waiting for vaidas new fantastic shots, i must share this vawesome timelaps of this year Luminara di San Ranieri

http://youtu.be/e_dxPXXK5Kc

Vaidas liked this post
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #46
Hardcore Terrorist
Stuckwithacrappyusername

Likes (Received): 2096

really great thread

My threads:
Liège, Belgium
The Rest of Belgium
Everywhere else I go

My artwork & photography:
www.rubenalexander.nl

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rubenalexander
Hardcore Terrorist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #47
tykho
Out of Control

Likes (Received): 118

Once again, top notch!
Any chance you'll be venturing out of Pisa to photograph other parts of Tuscany?
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #48
Vaidas

I've already got some shots from some towns around including Firenze, Lucca and San Gimignano. Will make a thread for them when I can find some spare time

lezgotolondon liked this post
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #49
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidas View Post
I've already got some shots from some towns around including Firenze, Lucca and San Gimignano. Will make a thread for them when I can find some spare time
Great! Looking forward to it.

Did you take some photos of the luminara?
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #50
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244822

I would like to see some more updates from Pisa
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #51
tykho
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidas View Post
ahhh, that's wonderful. Can't wait to see them!
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #52
Vaidas

And so, here go the photos from La Luminara (Or "Luminaria" in Pisan dialect).

Due to the ridiculous number of people I was early to reserve a spot near the river, about two hours before the start of the show. Some 30 min later it was already getting crowded. Unfortunately, that means that most of the photos will be from the same spot.

75. Powerful spotlights line the sides of the river to illuminate the surrounding buildings. Sometimes the lights are reflected off the water, giving a nice rippling effect.

77. The moon joins the show

78. Around 10 PM the spotlights are turned off and the city's streetlights are dimmed to reveal the main accent of the celebration - the approximately 100 000 candles, which were used to decorate the riverside buildings and bridges.

lezgotolondon, ArtZ liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #53
Vaidas

lezgotolondon, openlyJane liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #54
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

the first two are probably the best luminara photos I've ever seen.

Congrats!
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #55
Vaidas

85. Finally, it's time for fireworks. They are launched from the middle of the river and synchronised with the music. Overall I found it very impressive.

openlyJane liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #56
Vaidas

After the fireworks are finished, the people disperse and I can finally find some new angles

91. Palazzo Blu museum.

Old June 20th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #57
Vaidas

Even though it's after midnight, the action moves to the streets and piazzas of the city. There are thousands of young people, loud music and a festive mood. I stayed out in the city centre until around 3.30 AM and it was not looking like the partying was going to end any time soon
One thing I did not particularly like was the fact that even though there were DJs playing loud music in many places of gathering, it was the same kind of mainstream club music. I would have liked at least a bit of variety.

94. Piazza dei Cavalieri. The palace of Scuola Normale Superiore. This is quite in contrast to my previous shots from here.

95. Some jackass decided to climb the statue.

96. Some of the lighting is also switched off in Piazza dei Miracoli.

openlyJane liked this post
Old June 20th, 2013, 12:57 AM   #58
Vaidas

June the 17th is a holiday in Pisa and in the evening there is the Palio di San Ranieri - a boat race between 4 ancient districts of Pisa.

The race was late in the evening and racing boats are not the best subject for long exposure photography, so only a few shots

Birželio 17-osios vakare upėje vyksta Regata - lenktynės tarp 4 miesto rajonų. Kadangi buvo jau sutemę, o ilgais išlaikymais lenktyniaujančių valčių fotogratuoti nelabai išeina, nuotraukų tik pora

102. The winning team in red from San Martino

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #59
tykho
Out of Control

So much beauty!!
You definitely managed to capture many wonderful moments. And they all look so vivid!
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM   #60
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43472

Bellissimo!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote