daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM   #1
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11326

Jacksonville, Florida | Bold New City of the South

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
Jax

Jacksonville is the largest city in the U.S. state of Florida by population and the largest city by area in the contiguous United States.

Consolidation gave Jacksonville its great size and placed most of its metropolitan population within the city limits; with an estimated population in 2011 of 827,908, it is the most populous city proper in Florida and the Southeast, and the eleventh most populous in the United States. Jacksonville is the principal city in the Jacksonville metropolitan area, with a population of 1,345,596 in 2010.

Jacksonville is in the First Coast region of northeast Florida and is centered on the banks of the St. Johns River, about 25 miles (40 km) south of the Georgia state line and about 340 miles (547 km) north of Miami.

Harbor improvements since the late 19th century have made Jacksonville a major military and civilian deep-water port. Its riverine location facilitates two U.S. Navy bases and the Port of Jacksonville, Florida's third largest seaport.

Significant factors in the local economy include services such as banking, insurance, healthcare and logistics. As with much of Florida, tourism is also important to the Jacksonville area, particularly tourism related to golf.

Last edited by Hia-leah JDM; April 21st, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Hia-leah JDM

Couple pictures I took of Downtown Jacksonville during a big crowdfunding festival on Saturday.

Old April 21st, 2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Hia-leah JDM

Old April 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Hia-leah JDM

DaveF12 liked this post
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Hia-leah JDM

Comfortably Numb, DaveF12 liked this post
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:02 PM   #6
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

They were calling it the Bold New City of the South when I was a kid growing up there. You know how long ago that is! Thanks for some great shots and angles here. In many ways, it's more interesting at street level than downtown MIami.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Wow, thanks for posting these! Jacksonville seems to be bashed a lot down in these parts. Your pictures show that is has a vibrant downtown and some nice new buildings.

I've only driven through Jacksonville going north, but it never struck me as a bad city at all. I really liked the bridges and the skyline. It seemed like quite a nice city. Like Miami, it seems to have discovered the importance of having a proper downtown area.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #8
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Like Miami, it seems to have discovered the importance of having a proper downtown area.
In many ways, I think downtown Jacksonville always has had a better downtown than Miami. Miami is just coming into its own in that respect as far as having the kind of downtown it should have.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old April 21st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #9
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
In many ways, I think downtown Jacksonville always has had a better downtown than Miami. Miami is just coming into its own in that respect as far as having the kind of downtown it should have.
Miami's downtown has come a hell of a long way in the last decade. I have a day off in a couple of weeks and plan on taking some new pics, since it's been maybe 2 years since I last explored downtown miami. Midtown / The Deaign District will also be a big part of my planned photo tour.

My Panoramio
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #10
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

I think downtown Jacksonville though has a surprising degree of street-level urbanity that I think many people wouldn't expect it to have. I discovered this after having lived in California and then came back to visit. After having seen San Francisco, I had something to compare downtown Jacksonville with. It doesn't have a lot of skyscrapers, but the street-level urbanity that you would think would go with a lot of skyscrapers was there. It's the opposite with Miami. The street-level urbanity that you would think would go with the amount of skyscrapers Miami has just isn't there. It reminds me a lot of L.A. when I first moved there. It was really surprising when I discovered what a ghost town L.A. was at night when I first saw it decades ago. That is where Miami was and is just coming out of. I think Jacksonville was always there as far as street-level urbanity is concerned because it's not surrounded by smaller cities that detract from its urbanity the way it is with Miami and Los Angeles.

My photo threads:

Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:27 AM   #11
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Definitely parallels with LA here in Miami. Both have similar downtowns, but Miami is changing. The gentrification has brought new life to downtown Miami. I hope the trend continues. When I moved here in '02, downtown Miami seemed desolate and even dangerous. So much has changed since then.

I didn't realize Jacksonville had such a vibrant downtown. I wrote it off as just another southern American city with a desolate, soulless and even dangerous downtown. Clearly this isn't the case. I'll have to visit the city properly next time and not just drive through it. It actually looks nice enough even just passing through.

My Panoramio
Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:16 AM   #12
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Miami's downtown has come a hell of a long way in the last decade. I have a day off in a couple of weeks and plan on taking some new pics, since it's been maybe 2 years since I last explored downtown miami. Midtown / The Deaign District will also be a big part of my planned photo tour.
New photos of Miami are as exciting to me as nude photos of Selena Gomez. I can't wait.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #13
Hia-leah JDM

What Jacksonville has is bones! It's a city that's never reached it's potential imo, so don't let these pictures deceive you. These pictures were taken during a huge event for Downtown, it's still a pretty desolate place most days.

City leadership here like almost everywhere else is very interested in it's urban core nowadays but I think Jax is still a good 10 years behind what Miami has been able to do. It's only a matter of time before the Southbank starts looking more like Brickell. It's still dead after 5 and other urban neighborhoods in the city like Springfield and Riverside are taking more of the local's interest. But events like this and the monthly art walk are encouraging.

I've always thought much of Downtown Jax felt alot like the prettier big sister of Miami's historic CBD. But Miami is in much better shape, there's nothing here in Jax like what you see in Brickell or any even Downtown in terms of activity.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:43 AM   #14
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43473

Interesting pictures. I'd never really heard of Jacksonville until now. It looks lively!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM   #15
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
These pictures were taken during a huge event for Downtown, it's still a pretty desolate place most days.
I was impressed with some of the frontages though and the streets and sidewalks themselves as far as how they looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hia-leah JDM View Post
I've always thought much of Downtown Jax felt alot like the prettier big sister of Miami's historic CBD.
This is also what I felt after returning home for a visit after having moved to Los Angeles and visiting San Francisco. Jacksonville had preserved a lot of its historical heritage the way a lot of southern cities have. I liked some of the juxtapositions with the old and the new that you shot.

My photo threads:

Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #16
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244844

Beautiful, very nice photos from Jacksonville
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #17
Paperyostrich
Kiwi to the rescue

Likes (Received): 854

Great pictures, Jacksonville looks like a beautiful city. I hadn't actually known about his cty for long actually. I first heard of it a few weeks ago. it was a case study in my Geography textbook on how the design of the downtown skyscrapers seriously affects the airflow in the streets A bit humourus, but still good to see pictures of this city
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:10 AM   #18
DaveF12

Likes (Received): 246

nice shots and the city is gorgeous.
DaveF12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:37 AM   #19
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 15137

Was in Jacksonville in December....

IMO it is THE most underrated city on the East Coast!! I thought it was extremely nice with an amazing waterfront. Wouldn't mind live there
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote