daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

MELBOURNE | 555 Collins Street | 302m | 991ft | 91 fl | Pro

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous 404 metre proposal:

ONE of the world's tallest buildings, a 404m super tower, has been proposed for Melbourne's CBD.

The 82-storey office skyscraper would be almost as tall as the former World Trade Centre towers in New York, but still needs planning approval.

Planning Minister Matthew Guy has paved the way for the Stamoulis group to apply for a permit after removing overlays relating to height and overshadowing of the Yarra River.

But Mr Guy stressed that the application had a long way to go.

He wants to see a full public debate on the extraordinary proposal that would dramatically change the city's skyline.

"I acknowledge that it's a very significant building. It is office, not residential. There will need to be a long discussion with the City of Melbourne about a permit," he said yesterday.
Digital Pass $1 for first 28 Days

"With the size of the structure being proposed, Melburnians need to be aware of it and have a say about it, and ultimately we need a lot of feedback before any permit considerations are made."

Mr Guy and the city council have clashed after the minister approved a number of towers for the central city in the face of council concerns.

The most recent was the Australia 108 apartment tower planned for Southbank, but the State Government met most of the council's concerns by requiring a raft of conditions for the building, designed by Eureka architect Nonda Katsalidis.

The Australia 108 project will feature 664 apartments and a luxury hotel on top.

There had been concerns it would overshadow the Shrine of Remembrance precinct, but Shrine Trustees were satisfied it would not have an impact.

Under the Government's policy, the CBD and other inner areas will be subject to more intensive higher-density development to help accommodate the booming population.

Mr Guy has also approved skyscrapers for Elizabeth St and the Celtic Club in Queen St.

Issues such as Yarra overshadowing will still need to be considered for the 555 Collins St application.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wor...-1226627911154

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226627911154

Last edited by desertpunk; October 8th, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Curtain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:25 PM   #2
mw123

Likes (Received): 2669

That looks incredible!
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #3
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

i don't think it will be one of the world tallest when finished, it reminds me of 1WTC but a bit different.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM   #4
BeLogical
BANNED

Likes (Received): 99

One of the world's tallest buildings? Australia wishes. Still a nice design though.

Eiropro liked this post
BeLogical no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Donodöner
Public Enemy №1

Likes (Received): 1678

Nice one, but I think it won't be build.

Grand City Moscow

Donodöner posted this like

Sorry, away for a long time, 'cause engineering student

Last edited by Donodöner; April 23rd, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Donodöner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #6
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Looks great! Can't wait to see it get started.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #7
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

wow, another supertall for Melbourne. Looks beautiful

benji84 liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #8
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

404m is quite a bad omen that the building may disappear, but it is also so damn amazingly tall. And finally a design that i also like that will draw attention away from eureka and 108, which designs i am really no fan of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
One of the world's tallest buildings? Australia wishes. Still a nice design though.
even if started now and finished within 2 years, it could never make it into the top 20
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #9
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Looks very good, I'm looking forward for this to be approved
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:48 PM   #10
BeLogical
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
404m is quite a bad omen that the building may disappear, but it is also so damn amazingly tall. And finally a design that i also like that will draw attention away from eureka and 108, which designs i am really no fan of.

even if started now and finished within 2 years, it could never make it into the top 20
Whats so ominous about 404m?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #11
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

404 as in "404 - not found"

oh and i added this building to SSP already.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:56 PM   #12
BeLogical
BANNED

Quote:

Hehe I see.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #13
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:

Thanks, I love the SSP diagrams so I really appreciate your work
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #14
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

There is no diagram.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Kanto
Roof height crusader

But at least it is listed in the diagrams. Even if we don't see a render of the building we still at least know that it is there
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #16
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

Wow, Melbourne is booming...I'm waiting for a bigger rendering but this tower seems very promising.
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #17
Bronteboy
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLogical View Post
A point of explanation: the reference to this being 'one of the world's tallest buildings' doesn't come from the Melbourne skyscraper fans here on this site.

It's the phrase used in The Age newspaper's report on the tower proposal which is reproduced in Post #1 - and it's meant to be pejorative [it could even be seen as alarmist, since it is so clearly wrong].

The Age, the city's main 'serious' newspaper, has become consistently critical of the rush of large skyscraper projects in Melbourne under the State's present Planning Minister, Matthew Guy [whom the paper contemptuously calls 'Mr Skyscrapers'].

The Age's urban commentators think this rush of projects lacks a cohesive plan for the city, and will damage the city's traditional character and famous amenity [for decades Melbourne has been at or near the top of the 'world's most liveable city' lists, although this is dipping somewhat as its population growth is now accelerating quickly, outstripping infrastructure needs, and as housing becomes far less affordable].

The counterpoint to the 'loss of amenity and character' argument is the patent need to consolidate population growth around the city's infrastructure hubs and at the centre, and to curb the metropolitan area's massive suburban sprawl [Melbourne's metro is about 1000 sq. km, an almost Los Angeles-like sprawl of suburban houses]. The 'stop the sprawl' need has also been at the heart of the city's planning debate for decades - and the only way to do this is to go 'up' more.

Unlike Australia 108 - which seems certain to start construction next year and be completed within five years - this new, or second concurrent supertall proposal for Melbourne is interesting and exciting, but it has a long way to go.

As an office building, at best, it can only be seen as a 'might happen' proposal at present. Still, overall, it is indicative of a city that is changing and developing very rapidly now.

Last edited by Bronteboy; April 24th, 2013 at 03:07 AM.
Bronteboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
heritagepoliceman

Likes (Received): 8

So the tower looks nice enough, but let one off the hook for overshadowing river and southbank and then 10 more will follow.

It's one of the few 'mandatory' controls left in the CBD, designed to ensure that the soutbank promenade and river itself remains pleasant even in winter when the sun is shining - and it does sometimes ! Sunshine in the winter months is an essential part of ensuring Melbourne's public places remain 'livable'. Lok at the slopy roofd thing on Flinders Street in front of it in the image, and you can see the line created by the rule. Not that it should be seen as responsible for the not so great design of that particular development.

I predict if this goes through, then in 10 years time, there will be a dozen tall buildings lining up along Flinders Street (where they cant be built out) making it, and the river, and Southbank, not pleasant in the colder months, just when sunshine is most needed.

Plenty of room for new office buildings in the CBD, but just not to tall, or so close to the river - and then there's mention Docklands, Southbank and the new Fisherman's Bend precinct, which dont have these controls.
heritagepoliceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #19
melbourne_bulls

Likes (Received): 2

432 Park avenue is 420m (to roof) and is only 89 levels. So there is still a chance that 555 Collins st will be 404m to roof.
melbourne_bulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #20
Rckr88

Likes (Received): 90

Hope this gets the go ahead
Rckr88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
555 collins street, melbourne