daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #61
Zackalax13

Likes (Received): 143

So any updates on renders or anything? The one article written in January said we should see some news in about 4 months but I haven't heard anything, oh and I thought about 2 months ago they were going to redirect PATH and subway traffic to some escalator at 2 WTC so that they could start disassembling the temporary path station but I haven't heard anymore about that either and it doesn't look like it's being disassembled to me.

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #62
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
PA approved a Streets & Utilities Phase III package back in 2010 IIRC, where it included finishes for Tower 2 sidewalks, Tower 2 will host a permanent escalator that leads you to the Oculus, opening early next year, along with Tower 1 and access from 4WTC.
Just quoting a recent statement from Otie on this, seems like we can expect that the temporary PATH station is going to be disassembled early next year, so maybe around autumn the site is ready for something new. So planning should move on!
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:52 PM   #63
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Structural package for West Bathtub VSC Phase III has been recently approved by Redevelopment Subcommittee folks, the structure is designed to support a building on top.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:15 PM   #64
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

In http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...05-6-26-14.pdf it also said the following

Quote:
Performing Arts Center – below grade infrastructure work continues into June 2014 – PA will build up to grade level
Will this mean that a possible PAC will be built only above ground level or do they start digging again??

Last edited by oli83; August 3rd, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:35 PM   #65
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

No, underground portion and some areas above ground are specifically reserved to VSC. The steel package was awarded to Owen Steel.

[IMG]http://i60.************/bj5sud.jpg[/IMG]

oli83, Swiddle liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:12 PM   #66
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

This render for 125 Greenwich includes a tower at the PAC site:

Shvo/Viñoly by way of Yimby

Anyone have an idea where that model might have come from?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:32 PM   #67
Hemeroscopium
BANNED

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

Anyone have an idea where that model might have come from?
it's just to mention that something has to be built here(the performing art center in fact)
Hemeroscopium no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #68
MarshallKnight

Yes, I'm sure it's just a placeholder... it just seems odd that they would create a unique model of a ~40 story tower to use as a Performing Arts Center placeholder, instead of something much shorter, like we expect the PAC to be.

Unless they just copy and pasted the model for 7 WTC. Just seems odd is all.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:52 AM   #69
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

^ Yeah, it does look like they copied over 7WTC's massing with its distinctive Parallelogram footprint.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #70
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Arts Center at Ground Zero Shelves Gehry Design
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/04/ar...sign.html?_r=0

Quote:
The board of the performing arts center planned for ground zero has scuttled the design for the building by Frank Gehry, the project’s original architect, and will instead select a design from a field of three finalists.

“We’re in the process of selecting a new architect,” said John E. Zuccotti, the real estate developer who is the chairman of the arts center’s board. “Three architectural firms are being considered.”

Officials at the Performing Arts Center at the World Trade Center said they were not ready to name the finalists but confirmed that the list did not include Mr. Gehry.

Mr. Gehry’s design featured a cascade of rectangular forms, like boxes piled atop one another, and included plantings of trees. But officials chose to rethink the project — reducing the size of the three stages, one of which was to have been the 1,000-seat house originally designated for the Joyce Theater, the dance organization.

The center has been among the slowest projects to solidify at the former World Trade Center site. Part of the 2003 master plan designed by Daniel Libeskind, the arts center signified a commitment to making the site more than a memorial, creating a cultural destination that would draw New Yorkers and tourists downtown for round-the-clock activity and revitalize an area then clouded by grief.

But more than a decade later, its progress has been stalled by fund-raising issues as well as by delays in the completion of the new transit hub under construction at the site.

Mr. Gehry, in an interview, said he had not been told of the board’s decision, saying he’d heard “zero at ground zero.”

He said that he assumed the board was moving in a new direction and that he felt the president of the proposed center, Maggie Boepple — appointed in 2012 — did not appreciate his work. “She says I build models,” he said. “She doesn’t have a clue as to what I do or how I do it. It’s fine. It’s a new group. They should do what they want. I don’t want to go where I’m not wanted.”

Through a spokesman, Ms. Boepple declined to respond.

Center officials say they have been studying successful institutions — including the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Lincoln Center and the Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center in Troy, N.Y. — to refine their own plans. “When the design architect is chosen, we know exactly how we want the interior of the building to work,” Ms. Boepple said.

Ms. Boepple said that the center also expects to announce new board members at its meeting this month. The board will be crucial to the center’s fund-raising efforts, as board members for the ground zero memorial and museum have been.

One arts center board member, Julie Menin, resigned last week because she is now the city’s commissioner of consumer affairs. Another, Patricia E. Harris, the former first deputy mayor, is expected to step off, since she was serving as an ex officio member representing Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.

Still on the six-member board are Mr. Zuccotti; the developer Larry A. Silverstein; Christy Ferer, the founder and chief executive of the Vidicom video company; Zenia Mucha, an executive vice president of the Walt Disney Company; and the director Stephen Daldry, who was added this year.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio are also expected to name their representatives to the board soon, center officials said, an important development because some of those involved have been frustrated by what they view as a lack of demonstrated support from these officials, who each inherited the project.

Mr. Zuccotti said that, with the completion of the Sept. 11 memorial and the opening of the museum in the spring, “the performing arts center is a lot more credible today than it was two years ago.”

But many arts executives have questioned the need for another performance venue — given the competition for an audience posed by stages like City Center, the David H. Koch Theater and Culture Shed, which is planned for Hudson Yards — and view the center’s projected price tag of as much as $400 million as daunting.

The arts center is still waiting to receive $99 million of the $100 million in federal funds that the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, which oversees the former World Trade Center site, had set aside for it; $1 million has been spent on staff.

Because Mr. Gehry’s payments have been woven into engineering costs and other expenses, the development corporation said that it is difficult to break out what the architect has been paid so far. Mr. Gehry is known to have drawn down more than $2 million of $4.5 million originally allocated for his early work by the development corporation, and nearly $2 million of a new $5.9 million contract with the city, which took over the project.

Mr. Zuccotti said he planned to start fund-raising soon in earnest and had already received inquiries on naming rights.

Exactly what the center’s programming will consist of remains uncertain and could encounter its own hurdles. Two tenants — the Drawing Center and a proposed Freedom Center — were ousted from the site because of their potentially controversial content.

This year, the center hired David Lan, the artistic director of the Young Vic theater in London, to serve as its temporary artistic director. The center also named Lucy Sexton as associate artistic director and David Langford as the general manager and chief operating officer.

Mr. Lan has said he wants the institution to feature artists from all over the globe. Ms. Sexton comes from a world of performance art — in addition to running the New York Dance and Performance Awards, or the Bessies, she and Anne Iobst make up the comic team Dancenoise. She and Mr. Lan have yet to detail their program plans.

Mr. Zuccotti said that, given the setting, he would like to see the center focus on “American culture — musicals, musical comedy — something people who come to the memorial can relate to.”

“It should be focused on opportunities for young talent coming out of schools like Carnegie Mellon,” he added, “celebrating being reborn in that area, where so many people were killed.”

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #71
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Glad that was shelfed.

I would be happy with something like this, for example: Elegant, fits the WTC, adds a good material contrast, and doesn't mimic Calatrava's bony structures.

But a different shape and size

Perennial Quest liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #72
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

First the Eisenhower Memorial and now this. Looks like design committees have finally updated their faddish starchitect knowledge and moved on from Gehry. It's not the 1990s anymore. Some other dated fad architect will take his place.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #73
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

So much drama around this one.

I hope SHoP takes his place.

Tower Dude, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #74
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

I love how SHoP is the new favorite in New York!

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #75
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I like that they're a local firm and I think their designs generally age better than those of other architects.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:33 PM   #76
Hemeroscopium
BANNED

Was just checking,couple minutes ago,Gehry's new masterpiece in Paris:Louis Vuitton foundation...Shame on the morons who evicted that american genius from this NY project!!
Seems like the three best worldwide architects(Frank Gehry,Steven Holl,Thom Mayne)are kinda cursed in the US...
Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:21 PM   #77
Knitemplar

Likes (Received): 276

Eh, Gehry's a hit or miss. I don't think his design here was a good one. Glad they shelved it.
Knitemplar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:16 PM   #78
Hemeroscopium
BANNED

I do not see any misses in Gehry's designs!do you!?
Which ones?He is a genius,a leader,as were Sullivan,Gropius or Wright
About architecture you just have BEFORE and AFTER Gehry...like JC!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:33 PM   #79
MarshallKnight

I would argue that the EMP museum in Seattle (which I love as a museum) is an architectural "miss."

Then again, no architect ever bats .1000 and I think most of Gehry's work is great (Guggenheim Bilbao, Disney Concert Hall and the Beekman tower being my favorite examples). But his designs are notoriously complex and difficult to implement, and given the cost overruns and logistical nightmare that is Calatrava's transit hub, it's not too surprising that the developers would opt for something more conservative here.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 09:58 PM   #80
Hemeroscopium
BANNED

Oh my God! EMP is great!!!and what about the dancing tower in Praha and Millenium park in Chicago!? Well the dummies from the Performing Art Center board certainly do not deserve Gehry but I feel so sorry for New York for loosing a landmark

Tags
world trade center