daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:32 PM   #141
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25054

rbrome on yimby

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #142
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:07 PM   #143
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 3960

So many of these new buildings are all much the same - square high blocks with blue glazing; perhaps some oblong, some with aerials and some that are shiny reflective. All rather boring and nothing to write home about. New York is loosing its uniqueness in skyscraper design which it held along with Chicago for decades. The only master to capture the New York of yesteryear is Stern and his lovely new projects taking shape. I even find the new Hudson Yards just bloated high rises.

j-biz liked this post
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #144
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22527

DL1U9538 by GaryMui, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #145
Mascabrother

Likes (Received): 8409

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravesVpelli View Post
So many of these new buildings are all much the same - square high blocks with blue glazing; perhaps some oblong, some with aerials and some that are shiny reflective. All rather boring and nothing to write home about. New York is losing its uniqueness in skyscraper design which it held along with Chicago for decades. The only master to capture the New York of yesteryear is Stern and his lovely new projects taking shape. I even find the new Hudson Yards just bloated high rises.
We already live in 1800's and 1900's buildings. The city has to modernize itself with new infrastructure, otherwise, it will lag behind other cities.
Mascabrother está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #146
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascabrother View Post
We already live in 1800's and 1900's buildings. The city has to modernize itself with new infrastructure, otherwise, it will lag behind other cities.
Some people like old building styles more than new stuff, mate!.

Dockside liked this post
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 08:40 AM   #147
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

I have no clue why some are so keen on leaving NYC in a style that it is for decades. Also, a majority of buildings all throughout the city are basically old buildings, pre war structures. It´s all nostalgia, IMO. It´s good that the 21st century is slowly leaving it´s fingerprint on the city. ( If the old Waldorf would have been landmarked, we wouldn´t have an ESB ) Some of todays new shiny towers will be the classics of tommorow and then even more futuristic buildings will overshadow them. At some point even towers like 432 Park Avenue and Nordstrom will be dwarfed by new megatowers. This is how it is on a narrow island like Manhattan. And i sincerly hope that this "respect" for 1 WTCs height will not stop developers to strive higher and taller.

MarshallKnight liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #148
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22527

20170810-DSC00076.jpg by Adam Paiva, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:43 AM   #149
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
If the old Waldorf would have been landmarked, we wouldn´t have an ESB.
Really ? -

I hear that stupid nonsense way too many times...

What exactly stopped them to build it across 34 street or the other side of 5th avenue ?
(all those locations had buildings way less impressive that old WA)

Even today, nothing standing near ESB come close to the beauty of old WA.

Is not like you build it right there or you don't build it at all...

Old Waldorf Astoria was demolished because maintenance was too expensive to keep the high standards, and they already had a new flagship hotel on Park Avenue. Also by the 1920s, the hotel was becoming dated, and the elegant social life of New York had moved much farther north than 34th Street. In reality the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue "demolished" Waldorf Astoria on Fifth Avenue. (when they demolished the Old Waldorf Astoria,the building proposed to replace old WA was "only" 50 floors, the idea to go for the height record came later)
Old August 15th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #150
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Really ? -

I hear that stupid nonsense way too many times...

What exactly stopped them to build it across 34 street or the other side of 5th avenue ?
(all those locations had buildings way less impressive that old WA)

Even today, nothing standing near ESB come close to the beauty of old WA.

Is not like you build it right there or you don't build it at all...

Old Waldorf Astoria was demolished because maintenance was too expensive to keep the high standards, and they already had a new flagship hotel on Park Avenue. Also by the 1920s, the hotel was becoming dated, and the elegant social life of New York had moved much farther north than 34th Street. In reality the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue "demolished" Waldorf Astoria on Fifth Avenue. (when they demolished the Old Waldorf Astoria,the building proposed to replace old WA was "only" 50 floors, the idea to go for the height record came later)
Agreed. They could have found somewhere else and kept the marvelous Waldorf Astoria. The same stuff is happening today. They continue to knock down nice old buildings to build developments instead of old 20th century crap. For instance, the Drake Hotel. The old Roosevelt hotel is in danger too. There are plenty of ugly 20th century towers to knock down instead.

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; August 15th, 2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #151
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5303

118 Fulton St by NyConstructionPhoto, on Flickr

Old September 1st, 2017, 06:32 PM   #152
streetscapeer
hmmm......

@nymigs

mrsmartman, Munwon, nylkoorB, gaab1972, Zaz965 and 3 others liked this post
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:31 PM   #153
SydneyCarton

Likes (Received): 122

Very impressive photos!
SydneyCarton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:49 AM   #154
Dahupegu
Arquitecto

Likes (Received): 257

Impressive photos, shittie building... Come on NY... you can do better than that! I know it’s pretty damn hard to develop a project here, and who would want to overcomplicate the process with a city council that evaluates "architectural form and image quality, positive/negative impact on skyline/landscape image, among other things"… But this sort of mediocre tall boxes should not be allowed to be built. There is not a minimum effort of proposing something interesting, beyond the thirst of squeezing the last drop of profit. They even saved money with the renderings.

Yo Bogotá

http://www.last.fm/user/dahupegu

airpix84 liked this post
Dahupegu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 05:27 AM   #155
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahupegu View Post

Impressive photos, shittie building... Come on NY... you can do better than that! I know it’s pretty damn hard to develop a project here, and who would want to overcomplicate the process with a city council that evaluates "architectural form and image quality, positive/negative impact on skyline/landscape image, among other things"… But this sort of mediocre tall boxes should not be allowed to be built. There is not a minimum effort of proposing something interesting, beyond the thirst of squeezing the last drop of profit. They even saved money with the renderings.
I don't know where you live but it must be fantasy land. Boxes are the most efficient use of land and developers are in it for the money. If they went allowed then NYC would lose a lot of investment. There isn't a great correlation between great design and sales. NY has and always build boxy towers because they are the cheapest and least risky. If you were the developer I think you wouldn't chose a riskier option when a safer way exists, especially if you are not a developer who is very large and well funded. Most of the time the box will be a default option and you should just expect that.

Dahupegu liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; September 2nd, 2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 08:29 AM   #156
Dahupegu
Arquitecto

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post
I don't know where you live but it must be fantasy land.
I actually live in Brooklyn, Bed-Stuy to be more exact, and I wouldn’t call this neighborhood a fantasy… hahaha. I know real estate industry is very risky, but that can’t be an excuse for bad architecture. And 118 Fulton St is just bad plain architecture, if we dare to call that thing architecture. It would be an easy task to find better examples of architecture, with the same or higher risk, here in NYC or in other places. It’s just a matter of taste, intelligence, good design, a little bit more effort, and of course, not being a profit driven developer pig who just wants to squeeze the very last cent.

Yo Bogotá

http://www.last.fm/user/dahupegu

airpix84, j-biz liked this post
Dahupegu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #157
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahupegu View Post
I actually live in Brooklyn, Bed-Stuy to be more exact, and I wouldn’t call this neighborhood a fantasy… hahaha. I know real estate industry is very risky, but that can’t be an excuse for bad architecture. And 118 Fulton St is just bad plain architecture, if we dare to call that thing architecture. It would be an easy task to find better examples of architecture, with the same or higher risk, here in NYC or in other places. It’s just a matter of taste, intelligence, good design, a little bit more effort, and of course, not being a profit driven developer pig who just wants to squeeze the very last cent.
I'm not as down on the design as you. I see it as decent filler, there are far worse towers all around. Can't expect every tower to be a great design, there will always be those that are basic and don't have the big design budget. It would be nice if every tower was a stellar design, but until the public demand higher design quality for their buildings I don't see it happening.

Dahupegu liked this post

Last edited by JohnDee; September 5th, 2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old September 10th, 2017, 10:29 PM   #158
streetscapeer
hmmm......

@brooklynveezy
Old September 17th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #159
streetscapeer
hmmm......

@crissibeth
Old September 23rd, 2017, 04:28 PM   #160