daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #1
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

AUSTRIA | Base Tunnels Compilation

Koralm Tunnel:

Length 32.9 km
2 single-track tunnels
Vmax 250 km/h
~ 10 km tunnel evacuated so far
Operational 2023

Eastern portal:

Part of the new Koralm Railway HSL, the Koralm Tunnel is goingt to connect the two federal state capitals Graz and Klagenfurt. Reducing the current travel time (~3 hours) to less than one hour.

Official project site: http://www.oebb.at/infrastruktur/de/...bahn/index.jsp

Semmering Base Tunnel:

Length 27.3 km
2 single-track tunnels
Vmax 230 km/h
Operational 2024

Semmering Base Tunnel is a project originating in the 1980s, but due to legal issues between the two federal states Lower Austria and Styria on the one hand, Lower Austria and the federal gov in Vienna on the other hand, the project was dead until last year, when constructions started for good. It will replace the old Semmering Railway, which is the oldest mountain railway worldwide and curvature radius of only 190 m.

Official project site: http://www.oebb.at/infrastruktur/de/...g_Basistunnel/

Brenner Base Tunnel:

Length 55 km (64 km with the Innsbruck bypass)
2 single-track tunnels
Vmax 250 km/h

There are weekly updates about the construction progress of the Brenner Base Tunnel available at http://www.bbt-se.com/en/project/construction-progress/

Last edited by KingNick; May 13th, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Thanks for sharing! Nice page!
Maybe someone should open a dedicated thread about the BBT? The Gotthard Base Tunnel has one, too.

BTW: Isn´t the actual tunnel going to be 55 km long? I´m confused because on the main BBT page there is the following information:

Quote:
The Brenner Base Tunnel is a horizontal railway line running through the Alps; a railway line for the future. The Brenner Base Tunnel is the main element of the new Brenner railway from Munich to Verona. At 64 km, it is the longest underground railway connection in the world, a pioneering work of engineering and it will markedly improve passenger travel and freight transport through the heart of Europe.

Someone from Alptransit (GBT) should write a polite e-mail to his colleagues at BBT to correct this typo.
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; May 13th, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

It's only longer than the Gotthard Base Tunnel because they've added the total length of the BBT onto the length of the Inntal tunnel, which the BBT will connect with.

Still, it's a very impressive project that I look forward to hearing more about as it's built. The projected 2026 opening is a bloody long time away!

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

The combination of the BBT and Inntal tunnel will be longer than the GBT, but the BBT alone will be 2 km shorter.

The BBT will also be shallower than the GBT: around 1600 m versus around 2300 m.

As for the dedicated thread, I propose to split these last messages and create a new thread comprising also the Koralm tunnel and the Semmering base tunnel (just like the Gotthard base tunnel thread has been used to talk about the Lötschberg and Ceneri base tunnels).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The combination of the BBT and Inntal tunnel will be longer than the GBT, but the BBT alone will be 2 km shorter.

The BBT will also be shallower than the GBT: around 1600 m versus around 2300 m.
If the new Axentunnel is build the total underground length of the Gotthard route will be 75 km...

Braillard liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #6
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
As for the dedicated thread, I propose to split these last messages and create a new thread comprising also the Koralm tunnel and the Semmering base tunnel (just like the Gotthard base tunnel thread has been used to talk about the Lötschberg and Ceneri base tunnels).
Sounds like a good idea. What would you call the thread? Something like "The Brenner/Koralm/Semmering base tunnels thread" ?
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
If the new Axentunnel is build the total underground length of the Gotthard route will be 75 km...
If it will be ever built: there are no concrete plans for it as for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
Sounds like a good idea. What would you call the thread? Something like "The Brenner/Koralm/Semmering base tunnels thread" ?
Maybe. It's up to the rail mod (Svartmetall) to choose the title.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Would be about time, since 2.5 are already under construction.
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

What about these thread titles:

AUSTRIA | Brenner- (55km/64km) / Koralm- (32,9km) / Semmering- (27,3km) Base Tunnels

SWITZERLAND | Gotthard- (57km) / Lötschberg- (34,6km) / Ceneri- (15,4km) Base Tunnels

What Is Love?
Old May 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

A little long and clumsy given the multiple tunnels. Let me see how things go. I will leave this as a preliminary title to fit with the other threads for now.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #11
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Updated the first post a little.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #12
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Well done!
However you could name the Koralm Tunnel as Koralm Base Tunnel, too.
It looks better with three Base Tunnels u/c at once () and according to the German wikipedia it is indeed a base tunnel:

Quote:
Der Koralmtunnel ist das Kernstück der in Bau befindlichen Koralmbahn Graz–Klagenfurt. Er soll als Basistunnel die Koralpe durchqueren und den Bereich um Deutschlandsberg mit dem Lavanttal verbinden und 2022 in Betrieb gehen.
What Is Love?
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #13
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

For some reason it is not called Koralm Base Tunnel, despite being a base tunnel.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #14
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Excellent and informative updates.

By the way, if anyone feels a particular project or set of projects is worthy of its own thread, please start the thread and ask me to move posts there (if they are easily accessible). I cannot follow every thread in all the forums I moderate, so I might miss worthy threads like this, so please let me know.

Credit to you guys.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:45 PM   #15
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
For some reason it is not called Koralm Base Tunnel, despite being a base tunnel.
There is no top tunnel... but Brenner has no top tunnel either.
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #16
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
The existing tunnels with "Base" in their name in Switzerland have that adjective because they complement a summit tunnel (Hauenstein, Furka, Zimmerberg, Lötschberg, Gotthard, Ceneri), while the Vereina and Simplon tunnels are not called "base tunnels" even if they are (at least at one portal) at the lowest possible point in their quite flat valley (there are no higher tunnels through the same pass).

So according to that logic the BBT shouldn't be called "base tunnel" (as the existing Brenner line doesn't have a summit tunnel), but it is just to make it comparable to the other new long tunnels to the public.

While the Koralm railway doesn't replace (or complement) an existing railway: it follows a new path.

The Semmering base tunnel is usually abbreviated as SBT, the Koralm tunnel as KAT.

Still according to the initial Swiss logic, the new 33 km Guanjiao tunnel in China should be called "Guanjiao base tunnel", and the proposed main tunnel of the Lyon-Turin line should be called "Fréjus base tunnel".

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #17
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

I don't like getting into the fine print of nomenclature (like endless debates of "is this a subway or a commuter rail?").

This being said, the general idea I got from calling a tunnel as "base" is that it has a design that allows crossing a mountain ridge seamlessly for any train that is fit to run the rest of the route on both sides (roughly same speed, roughly same grade, no tight curves, no helpers needed for freight trains etc.)
Old May 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #18
owenaee

Likes (Received): 0

the length of the Inntal tunnel, which the BBT will connect with.

owenaee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #19
thun

Quote:
The existing tunnels with "Base" in their name in Switzerland (...)
However both the Brenner and Semmering tunnels will "replace" (sort of) the existing lines across the pass so technically still cut through the pass at its base (meaning connecting the valleys directly with the lowest incline possible). Same is true for the Koralm tunnel.
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Coccodrillo

The Simplon tunnel is at the base of its valley at Brig, too, but it is not called "base tunnel" because there is no other tunnel above it. It's just a matter of definition.

It is not a recent concept: the 8,1 km Hauenstein Basistunnel opened in 1916 to complement the Hauenstein Scheiteltunnel opened in 1858.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenaee View Post
the length of the Inntal tunnel, which the BBT will connect with.
I don't see any images.

Is that a question?

Anyway, the Inntaltunnel is 12,7 km long but the the tracks connecting the two will start inside both tunnels, in other words a train using both the Inntal and the BBT tunnels will not run entirely through them. And it seems there will be an underground junction to the south, too, in a cut&cover part of the BBT (the main tubes will be for through trains, the junction will be used for trains stopping in Franzensfeste/Fortezza and going to the Puster/Pusteria valley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innsbruck_bypass