SkyscraperCity Forum banner

From New York City to Richmond VA.

52K views 297 replies 39 participants last post by  Benonie 
#1 ·
Hi friends.

Two years ago we made a trip from NYC to eastern Canada. This year we went back to New York, but went a bit more south to Richmond. Most of our time we spent in Washington DC, but we started our journey with a little walk from Chelsea to Lower Manhattan.

Join and enjoy!

See less See more
#16 ·
Well, I think NYC has both, lots of red brick buildings and lots of brown stone buildings. Most brown stone houses are found in Harlem and Brooklyn. I show you a lot of them in future posts about Harlem.

I've found a definition about brown stone on WiseGeek.com:
Brownstone is a word used both to refer to a type of building material and structures built or sheathed in it. While it is most closely associated with the Eastern United States, this material was at one point used all over the world in construction, particularly in upper class regions. A distinctive architectural style using brownstone is very familiar to many residents of industrialized nations. Its popularity as a building material waned when builders began to realize that it weathered poorly, and that other materials might be more suitable.

The building material is a type of sandstone, which was heavily deposited in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey during the late Triassic period. Deposits of brownstone formed in other parts of the world as well. The stone's unique reddish brown color comes from dissolved iron oxides in the rock. It proved relatively easy to quarry and carve, and became a popular building material in the 19th century.

New York and Boston both have a large number of brownstone homes that were built in the form of terrace or row houses with raised entrances. Harlem, Park Slope, and Brooklyn all have large numbers of such homes in varying condition. The stone can also be found in structures across the United States and in Europe, especially in large cities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.