daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #181
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

In a few years there willbe just as much cranes as there where/ are around The Sacred Mosque in Mecca.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #182
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

So this project is probably going to be built....
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #183
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Yes if you mean the lagoons islands. If you mean the tower nobody knows anything about that. It wasn't even ever confirmed by anybody the tower will be built there. If nothing is going to be shown at next cityscape I'd say the idea has been dropped.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:23 AM   #184
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face81 View Post
Some of the original renders for the entire scheme:

Personally, I really like THIS design.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #185
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I always was partial to the dancing flame towers just for their design but if this master plan is scrapped or revised, I hope we get something just as nice replacing it.

sgollis, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:58 AM   #186
onewtclover

Aw, it was scrapped? So there's no design right now? It kind of reminds me, in some kind of "twisted" way (architect joke :p) of one WTC, which I guess everyone should know, is my favorite building if you look at my username, onewtclover. But I don't like it because it looks like my favorite building, but rather because it looks like a flame. I hope some other architect "recycles" this idea.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #187
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

hope they keep the design for the main towers as well, it is one of my favorite never built projects of all time

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #188
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Who knows, if Sky City would indeed get built maybe they could use Board's technology to build this, taller building after it. This way it could make Kingdom Tower to never hold the title of the world's tallest building. But we'll just have to wait and see

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM   #189
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

there is no way Kingdom Tower will never be tallest building in the world. Even if planning for a taller building started now, Kingdom Tower is far too advanced in construction already.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM   #190
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Not if Board's revolutionary Sky City construction technique works the way it's supposed to work (which I doubt)
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #191
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

even if it does work, which would be a dream and make me happy for a year straight, the designing, seeking a location, preparing, getting approvals etc etc would take too long for Kingdom Tower to not be topped out earlier i think. Sky City also popped up years ago, but only now is seriously developping. Another Building would be faster since Sky City would already be up and the company would have more trust from investors, but still might take a while.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM   #192
patrykus

Not to mention that Skycity is 200m lower than Kingdom Tower. So the new, taller tower would need to be designed and tested before construction. That is if broad would even care for building even taller tower - 800m in half a year and wts status is more than enough to make a point. They don't need to build taller towers.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:52 PM   #193
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Yup, for them it is enough, but they can be hired by somebody else, who wants one of those as well, and if that hypothetical person wants to go even further, he would definitely want a world's tallest, although all of this is just my speculation

Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #194
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 28989

I am not sure if this article is even related to "the lagoons project" but it is really interesting, published on 22 September 2013:

Dubai's Al Habtoor set to unveil 'biggest ever project'

Dubai conglomerate Al Habtoor Group said on Sunday it was preparing to announce plans for its biggest ever project.
Al Habtoor Group chairman, Khalaf Ahmad Al Habtoor, said the Group will be unveiling the mega-project in the next few weeks, without giving any further details.
Al Habtoor said in a statement: "What we have lined up will prove our continuous faith in the UAE economy and leadership. The project we are about to unveil is the biggest of its kind."
He added: "I truly believe the UAE is the only place in the world to invest, and this project will prove it. The announcement is very exciting for the Group and Dubai as whole. What we have planned is in conjunction with a government project. We can't wait to announce it to the world."

In April, Al Habtoor Group announced plans to build the first water-based theatre in the UAE.
The circular venue, centred around a pool with various diving boards, will be built in collaboration with Italian-Belgian theatre director Franco Dragone, renowned for creating Cirque du Soleil, and is due to open in 2016 at the $1.4bn Habtoor Palace complex on Sheikh Zayed Road.
The theatre will be part of the Metropolitan AED1.3bn ($354m) project featuring three new Starwood hotels, including the emirate’s first St Regis and W branded properties, due to open mid-2015.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai...l#.Uj9C_4amh9N

getroy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:38 PM   #195
onewtclover

Sky City basically has 4 years to claim the world's tallest title, and I think it'll be China's first claim. I never noticed before, but as far as supertalls go, China's never had a world's tallest! (Taipei 101 is in Taiwan and Petronas Towers in Malaysia, so don't even think about it). So basically the iron is hot right now because we have the techniques and a design. If this even partially works, it could have a shot, which I think it will.

It'd be pretty weird to have a Kingdom Tower that's 900 m (ultratall?) to never be the tallest in the world. I have to admit I think these Middle Eastern countries are a little arrogant to build these HUGE buildings that don't even have a really good design, but Kindgdom tower deserves the title. It's not fantastic, but it's grand and shows the world's first "ultratall".

And this is all about timing. It's possible that One World Trade Center could be the tallest building in the world if they just went with Libeskind's proposal. They didn't, which is why we have a tower that's not the tallest in the world, but it's a great tower. By the time construction started, we already knew we would never have a world's tallest.

Competition helps too. I mean, it's basically "illegal" to some degree to build higher than Burj because then if a terrorist attack occurred, more people would die. Unless it had a lot of vanity height like that cage in one of the designs of the Freedom Tower. So basically unless Childs entered the competition and won, and construction started in 2002 (June?), and they hired more construction workers, 1 WTC would have been only second or even third tallest.

Last edited by onewtclover; September 22nd, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:59 PM   #196
Maisonette
BANNED

Likes (Received): 109

I think The Lagoons Tower will top the Kingdom Tower in Jeddah

Gabriel900, Kanto liked this post
Maisonette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #197
onewtclover

If it's built, of course. If it's not, OF COURSE NOT! HOW COULD AN UNBUILT TOWER BE TALLER THAN A TOWER THAT EXISTS?

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:58 PM   #198
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

i am very excited for that unveiling

Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM   #199
patrykus

Although it's hardly related to the lagoons project - it's not even the same developer.

But I'm excited too. I only hope this is actually a tower because huge project may be everything - land reclamation, theme park or next largest mall. Who knows?

Old September 25th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #200
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

As I heard and saw, this project includid one of the most amaizing bridges in the world??

Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote