daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #221
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Because hers are all about form, and rarely about substance
It all really boils down to the money. No doubt Zaha's designs are all about form hence expensive and often rejected. But this is exactly what you want for an iconic opera house. Let's just say Sydney Opera House is almost $1bn in todays money and I doubt this thing will get even remotely close to this.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #222
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbernut View Post
Yep, the 6th crossing. One seriously tasty looking bridge....

Yes, this wonderful bridge I had in my mind.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #223
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

Happy times

Too bad about the old design tho

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/
INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #224
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 28998

Emaar, Dubai Holding to relaunch The Lagoons

Published 7 October 2013

Dubai Holding and Emaar Properties have signed a deal to develop The Lagoons, a 6 million square metre masterplanned city located within Mohammed Bin Rashid (MBR) City, near Dubai Creek.
The megaproject was originally launched in 2006 by Sama Dubai, which has since been merged in Dubai Properties Group, a division of Dubai Holding. However, after breaking ground on the site in 2008, the project was mothballed due to the credit crunch and subsequent collapse in local real estate prices.
The new agreement between Dubai Holding and the emirate’s biggest listed developer will include the Dubai Twin Towers, “a mixed-use iconic development”, as well as a central business district, luxury hotels, schools, healthcare facilities, the two companies said in a statement on Monday.
No further details as to the value of the project were provided.
The plans also include space for two “central parks” and a waterfront mall. The project will be connected to the rest of the city via direct links with the Dubai Metro’s Red and Green lines as well as “an eco tram system”, a light monorail and water taxis. All told, the area of The Lagoons is about three times the size of Downtown Dubai, the masterplanned mixed-use project developed by Emaar.
“We are thus creating a vibrant destination that will not only address their lifestyle requirements of modern retail, entertainment and hospitality, but also connect them to their Arab heritage,” said Emaar chairman Mohamed Alabbar and Dubai Holding CEO Ahmed Bin Byat, in the joint statement.
“This prestigious development fulfills His Highness Sheikh Mohammed’s vision by creating a world-class infrastructure that will firmly establish Dubai as one of the Top 10 global cities by 2020.”
The announcement was made on the eve of Cityscape Global, and comes amid a spate of recent new project statements from local developers, who are returning to Dubai as the emirate’s property market rebounds.
Earlier this week, Dubai announced that it would spend $545m building a canal through its downtown area. It has also just said it will build the world’s largest crystalline manmade lagoon in MBR City.
Omniyat Properties, which was one of a number of developers that struggled during the downturn, also announced this week that it would be relaunching two towers.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emaar...ns-522108.html

TowerVerre:), Maisonette, jackedi07 liked this post
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #225
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

these twins could become nice. from that small pic i would they both could be 600m+
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #226
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Meh.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #227
patrykus

I like the idea too. But I thing this article is also the confirmation that there won't be the tallest structure there. If they would have plans for it they would definitely be speaking about it and new masterplan would certainly include the 1km placeholder and instead we have these twins as a centerpiece.

I think this thread should remain open and serve as a thread dedicated to those twins. I would just change the project name and height in the title to something like "The Lagoons Twins | ~600m+ | Pro"
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #228
Gabriel900
Super Mod

I think we should wait for more info before making any changes
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #229
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

well world's tallest twins is also an amazing project to look forward to. not sure if they really are 600m though, they look a bit smaller, not sure how tall the surrounding buildings will be though. so, sucks we will probably not get a world's tallest building and sucks even more to have the dubai towers completely removed, was my favorite never-built along with Al Burj, but a tall twin tower project on either side of a canal is still an amazing thing to look forward to.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #230
no_gods

Likes (Received): 68

Well, a 600+ meters twin towers is still an amazing project
no_gods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #231
patrykus

Renders came with Emirates247 article (link below). Still they say nothing about the worlds tallest here.

Source: http://www.emirates247.com/dubai-hol...10-07-1.523745

Old October 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #232
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

In that first pics the twins don't look like 600m+. More like 500m+.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #233
Gabriel900
Super Mod

http://gulfbusiness.com/2013/10/firs.../#.UlPjtFCmiGc
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #234
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8232

you can see large spires on top of the buildings. it looks a bit like GZIFC, but instead of a flat roof the building tapers more and more until it ends in a thin spire.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #235
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

They're not that far from the Airport, it would not make sense to build that tall there
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #236
patrykus

It is exactly the same distance as between the Kingdom Tower and the Jeddah airport only Kingdom Tower is completely on the way of landing pathways. Those twins actually can't interrupt less with the landing paths since they're perfectly perpendicular to them

Old October 8th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #237
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Isn't there many more islands?
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #238
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

Looks nearly identical to the original proposal for the Yongsan development in Seoul (x2). Still would be neat to see it go up.

On the other hand, where is the demand for this coming from?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #239
patrykus

better picture of the model

source: thenational.ae

Gabriel900 liked this post
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #240
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Well I might be wrong but judging but what I'm seeing these towers can easily be 700m+ ... Dubai is booming again