daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #81
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i agree that a pyramidical tower is not the only way to go, but i think it is the most likely way for three reasons:
1. it is the cheapest
2. it has been done before and therefor there is reference material to improve on and not start 'fresh'
3. it includes a spire automatically without the developers feeling the need to 'cheat' their way up, since a spire on a flat roof always seem to create a lot of controversity

After all i really do hope we get a glass giant without many setbacks and an amazing crown to top it out, but i somehow doubt it will happen.
I partially agree. I think we will see another burj copy here because this design is the cheapest for height if height is all you care about and since emaar is behind it they will probably repeat the history. Although I disagree with point 2. Nakheel tower "has been done". I've seen detailed reports showing detailed 3d models of many elements of the tower (like sky bridges, and spire) as well as wind test model and even design of formwork system. If Woods Bagot (the architect of nt) was about to design another similar tower they certainly wouldn't have to start from scratch. But then again nt design except just height also offers space which obviously costs more than pyramidal design. And apparently emaar wants just the tallest tittle so it seems clear with what design they will go with.

And here's the mentioned article about nakheel tower. Definitely worth reading:

http://www.structuremag.org/article.aspx?articleid=1083
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

KillerZavatar liked this post
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #82
t94

Likes (Received): 844

The architecture present in Asian/eastern countries is starting to resemble that of futuristic Bladerunner-esque movies.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #83
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Yeah, yeah, cheaper for height .... also more structurally sound, more space effective, offering better views and better space layouts (which in turn translates to higher asking prices and better ROI), and so on, which of course we know are all irrelevant factors.

Kids and their midrise experiences
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #84
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
More boring pipe dreams from the desert...
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #85
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Yeah, yeah, cheaper for height .... also more structurally sound, more space effective, offering better views and better space layouts (which in turn translates to higher asking prices and better ROI), and so on, which of course we know are all irrelevant factors.

Kids and their midrise experiences
Yes yes, but what about nakheel? Are you saying they are run by fools? I won't even mention that nt offers several times more space than kt, is as, if not more structurally sound (15000psi concrete - stuff 1wtc uses),and offers views at elevations twice as tall as kt.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #86
AltinD
The Modecator

Well, if you want to go that way, Nakheel was the big looser from the 2009 crisis, Emaar escaped unscathed
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 25th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #87
patrykus

Haha, first time I see some criticism (forced but still) towards dubai coming from you Truth is if nakheel have had finished the tower before crisis they would be winners right now not emaar. And you would be telling us how nt is superior design to burj khalifa. And it still can be finished it in farther future proving you wrong as you did today in j220 thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #88
AltinD
The Modecator

Yeah, cause the J220 just got inaugurated and opened for "business" today, right?
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 25th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #89
patrykus

"we'll see", right? But it was you who reported that steel is already coming to the construction site

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #90
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

why do the best users always have to be the most hostile towards each other

4npower liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #91
AltinD
The Modecator

You really have no idea how things work, do you

.... where did I say that steel is coming to the construction site? I said the company is working with the developer to supply them the steel ....and also: Where did I say the tower will not be build? I was talking about central cores ..... but not that I expect you to distinguish between technicalities .... of any type
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #92
patrykus

Quote:
You really have no idea how things work, do you

.... where did I say that steel is coming to the construction site? I said the company is working with the developer to supply them the steel
Which means the steel is coming to the site. Not literally lol Why is it always so taugh with you?

Quote:
....and also: Where did I say the tower will not be build? I was talking about central cores ..... but not that I expect you to distinguish between technicalities .... of any type
At multiple occasions always implying people giving it any credit are naive and stupid. Or when you were so certain that it wasn't wind tested? Sorry don't tell me about technicalities.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #93
AltinD
The Modecator

It means the steel WILL be coming to the site, not that it is there yet (can't you gasp the difference?) .... and once again: I never said J220 will not be build, so why keep going on with that nonsense?

And yeah, the "design" that was shown wasn't wind-tested, I still stand by that statement .... as i also stand by my more recent statement that you have no clue how things work
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #94
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
why do the best users always have to be the most hostile towards each other

Yeah it gets pretty annoying sometimes It's like these 2 have to go out of their way to discredit, or make the other one look like they know less or have wrong information. And they like to play word games with each other which just confuses the hell out of each other and makes it worse. It's been this way since I joined and for the most part remains civil. Both give great info and are some of the best contributors on SSC

KillerZavatar liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #95
patrykus

Quote:
It means the steel WILL be coming to the site, not that it is there yet (can't you gasp the difference?)
Google figure of speech, you're apparently not familiar with the term. It doesn't matter if it is coming to the site, will or if it's already there. What matters is that steel is ordered and the tower will be build.

Quote:
.... and once again: I never said J220 will not be build, so why keep going on with that nonsense?

And yeah, the "design" that was shown wasn't wind-tested, I still stand by that statement .... as i also stand by my more recent statement that you have no clue how things work
It was reported that it was wind tested and that it won't have a solid concrete core without which you said it's impossible to build it.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #96
Face81

Likes (Received): 270

Sorry to be a bore and bring the thread back on track, but there has been a sudden appearance of several piling rigs and excavators on part of The Lagoons project, although this is where the Dubai Opera House was destined to appear before the recession hit.... Make of it what you will

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTower View Post
25-may-2013

there is construction on what I believe is the opera house plot. not sure if this is still going to be the opera house after they've started to build the opera next to burj khalifa. I'd personally think they've changed the purpose of this plot then, which would make sense to me. just guessing.

[IMG]http://i44.************/33blfko.jpg[/IMG]

The late Sheikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum [1912 - 1990]
Face81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #97
patrykus

Looks like heavy machinery. Not soil tests or anything preliminary, hence I thing its that opera you mentioned or a any other building with ready design. Or maybe some infrastructure works. Definitely not the tower

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #98
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Looks like heavy machinery. Not soil tests or anything preliminary, hence I thing its that opera you mentioned or a any other building with ready design. Or maybe some infrastructure works. Definitely not the tower
There are definitely piling rigs there as well. As for this particular plot itself, I am sure more details will be revealed soon. For reference, all the activity is taking place on the island on the far left ,of these images, right along Dubai Creek....

[IMG]http://i40.************/zmo8bp.jpg[/IMG]

It's the stand alone island, without any infrastructure on it in this mock project overview...

[IMG]http://i39.************/dfzq1i.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Face81; May 26th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old May 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #99
patrykus

Yeah I call pilling rigs heavy machinery

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #100
Face81

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Yeah I call pilling rigs heavy machinery
This what was supposed to appear on the island in question....

Wonder if we will still see this rise as part of the project?

KillerZavatar, sgollis liked this post

Last edited by Face81; May 26th, 2013 at 02:44 PM.