daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2014, 08:34 PM   #161
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

A gorgeous base and love the design!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2014, 04:12 PM   #162
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

That's right, spreading south! And 56 Leonard is heading towards north ...

Quote:
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:08 AM   #163
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
That's right, spreading south! And 56 Leonard is heading towards north ...
I'm waiting for the day when the mid/upper and lower NY skylines meet up+ a massive NJ+ massive Long Island skyline. And maybe even a Staten Island skyline? Okay, I'm getting off topic. Nice building though.

ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:13 AM   #164
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
personally, while a Central Park view is clearly a huge selling point for the 57th Street towers, I would much prefer these views with Midtown and Downtown on either side. A skyscraper nerd's dream location.
I agree! I foresee this section of flatiron/midtown getting more taller towers to take advantage of this.

I wouldn't mind living in this area. Right in the middle of the best of both worlds. Midtown & Downtown

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #165
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I agree, VG. This area is beautiful.

LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 04:14 AM   #166
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbenius View Post
I'm waiting for the day when the mid/upper and lower NY skylines meet up+ a massive NJ+ massive Long Island skyline. And maybe even a Staten Island skyline? Okay, I'm getting off topic. Nice building though.
:/
That will never happen due to the law. Midtown will just get taller and denser if more space is needed, but that is years away.

City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM   #167
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
:/
That will never happen due to the law. Midtown will just get taller and denser if more space is needed, but that is years away.
In the near future, of course not. But both skylines are indeed creeping slowly together, block by block. If there is true demand in further future, eventually laws would probably be relaxed and we would be able to see a united skyline. 56 Leonard and this building are leading the charge for now, along with a few other buildings, so they're slowly but surely converging.

onewtclover, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:55 AM   #168
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbenius View Post
In the near future, of course not. But both skylines are indeed creeping slowly together, block by block. If there is true demand in further future, eventually laws would probably be relaxed and we would be able to see a united skyline. 56 Leonard and this building are leading the charge for now, along with a few other buildings, so they're slowly but surely converging.
That means neighborhoods with low-rise charm and historic significance may be in danger of being ruined. Greenwhich Village, SoHo, Union Square, NoMad, Chelsea, etc. I doubt the law will change. If they need more space they'll just do another midtown or fidi rezone and increase bulk. If you are talking about a tower here or there, maybe.. But no dense development of skyscrapers will ever occur in those areas. I don't think laws on historic districts etc are ever relaxed in NYC because residents are wealty and will fight tooth and nail. Sorry to bust your bubble, but NYC will never have one sea of skyscrapers from midtown to wall street.

City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 08:39 AM   #169
WI_1982

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
That means neighborhoods with low-rise charm and historic significance may be in danger of being ruined.
There are many protected neighborhoods between Midtown and Lower Manhattan, but that doesn't mean the skyline can't be merged.

It just means that this specific portion of the skyline will never be totally "filled out", because neighborhoods like Soho and the Village will never allow soaring towers. But there are plenty of opportunities around the fringes of these neighborhoods. East 23rd Street is a perfect example.

And Extell, BTW, has a big lot on East 23rd. I'm very excited to hear details on the nearby Extell project, and hope it will be the first supertall in this part of Manhattan.

At some point, there will be a sea of skyscrapers connecting all these neighborhoods, just not including anything in the landmarked blocks.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #170
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I think this skyscraper shows how to incorporate a new glassy building into an "old" neighborhood. Although the tower is nearlly 800 feet tall, it doesn't have that weird feeling of being out of place. As long as the base is beautiful and meets the street nicely, people will be fine with it. That's why we could see more and more towers of this sort popping up in the "middle" between Downtown and Midtown. Opposition shouldn't be too strong, except for the NIMBYs of course.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:15 PM   #171
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Peter cooper village, Stuyvesant town... All the midrise units along FDR drive. Wait until they start pooping up with redevelopment opportunies. That's when you can start to see a real possibility of the midtown skyline merging into the downtown skyline.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 10:47 PM   #172
Teslatron

Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
That means neighborhoods with low-rise charm and historic significance may be in danger of being ruined. Greenwhich Village, SoHo, Union Square, NoMad, Chelsea, etc. I doubt the law will change. If they need more space they'll just do another midtown or fidi rezone and increase bulk. If you are talking about a tower here or there, maybe.. But no dense development of skyscrapers will ever occur in those areas. I don't think laws on historic districts etc are ever relaxed in NYC because residents are wealty and will fight tooth and nail. Sorry to bust your bubble, but NYC will never have one sea of skyscrapers from midtown to wall street.
There is nothing but crappy buildings, old warehouses, and projects/crappy 60s coops along the FDR drive and West Side highway. Sure the areas you mentioned in the middle would not get redeveloped, but the areas along both sides of the river can become potential skyscraper areas from downtown to midtown.
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #173
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-md View Post
Peter cooper village, Stuyvesant town... All the midrise units along FDR drive. Wait until they start pooping up with redevelopment opportunies. That's when you can start to see a real possibility of the midtown skyline merging into the downtown skyline.
public housing is sacrosanct in this town

as much as I hate to say it, those will always be at the very bottom of the list

ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #174
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

hmmm perhaps in the not too distant future.. When it has been determined that those structures are no longer livable, the city can condense the projects into a smaller space... A space that is much smaller with just as many if not more units in modern, taller structures. And perhaps they could raze a good portion of the current structures and lease the surplus land to create massive amounts of revenue for the city. People that are dependent upon public housing would have nice new living spaces (not to mention building new skyscraper housing projects would paint a much nicer picture of the city's growing wealth gap) It could also cover the costs that the city/state out towards these projects annually. It would be a win -win for everybody.... I mean in the future that is.

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Trex-md no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #175
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22547

something very interesting discovered by YIMBY, but don't get hyped for anything...

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/11/myst...f-the-esb.html
By: Nikolai Fedak on November 3rd 2014 at 7:00 am

Quote:
[...]Height is certainly something NoMad is becoming increasingly familiar with, and several notable projects are rising in the vicinity. To the south, along 22nd Street, Bruce Eichner is now building the tallest building between Midtown and Lower Manhattan, at 45 East 22nd Street. That skyscraper will stand 777 feet to its roof, topping the nearby One Madison by over 100 feet.
[...]
digressing a little to the article's main subject...

Quote:
It is not often that YIMBY finds something completely mysterious, but we recently stumbled upon a video (or vision?) of a new project that may or may not be coming to Midtown South — and if it’s actually real, the building would become one of the tallest in New York City.
Architectural rendering firm AJSNY produced the short film, which illustrates an approximately 1,100-foot tower rising just to the south of the Empire State Building. The skyscraper’s block appears to be that bound by 28th and 29th Streets, and Broadway and 5th Avenue; conveniently enough, the apparent parcel is currently vacant, and is the site of one of the neighborhood’s largest remaining parking lots.
The Municipal Art Society’s Accidental Skyline map shows hundreds of thousands of square feet of unused air rights on the block, so the area is certainly ripe for a tower if enough development rights can be bought. The zoning on Fifth Avenue allows residential use while the other parts of the block can only support commercial uses; what the makeup of this tower would be depends on which part of the block it sits on and whose air rights the developers got ahold of.
[...]

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #176
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
something very interesting discovered by YIMBY, but don't get hyped for anything...

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/11/myst...f-the-esb.html
By: Nikolai Fedak on November 3rd 2014 at 7:00 am

digressing a little to the article's main subject...

I was wondering who'd be the first to bring it up. Since there is no specific address mentioned, I didn't know what to put up but had a feeling someone would definitely post about it. Maybe it's just the angle but it looks as tall as the Empire State Building if not even taller... it's definitely very interesting, I really like it but the big question is why is it in the video.. is it just merely a vision or is something possibly up regarding that property? Would love to see it become a reality but is it really a possibility that some developer is considering?

Thanks, Hudson for posting this!

Old November 4th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #177
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I can't imagine anything that tall being built there. If the ESB owners could halt the construction of 15 Penn Plaza then this one would certainly never be built. It would block their view of Lower Manhattan.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #178
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22547

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I can't imagine anything that tall being built there. If the ESB owners could halt the construction of 15 Penn Plaza then this one would certainly never be built. It would block their view of Lower Manhattan.
15 Penn wasn't stopped by NIMBYs. Vornado opted to not build the tower.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #179
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
15 Penn wasn't stopped by NIMBYs. Vornado opted to not build the tower.
And it does appear that Vornado may be reconsidering that decision with the rapid interest in the West Side developments.

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:45 PM   #180
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslatron View Post
There is nothing but crappy buildings, old warehouses, and projects/crappy 60s coops along the FDR drive and West Side highway. Sure the areas you mentioned in the middle would not get redeveloped, but the areas along both sides of the river can become potential skyscraper areas from downtown to midtown.
A few years ago when I asked about the possibility of Downtown and Midtown one day merging I got responses similar to this. No chance in the center, but possibly chances along the rivers.

Since these days you are the only one giving such a response, it seems the NYC SSC community has become more negative about the idea in the years since I asked.

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
41 e. 22nd st., flatiron district, new york