daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > New York City

New York City Development News | WTC | Naked NY

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #1
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 22

15 things you didnít know about Times Square

Tenessean

15 things you didnít know about Times Square

Recognized as ''the crossroads of the world,'' Times Square got its name April 8, 1904, after Adolph S. Ochs, publisher of The New York Times, talked Mayor George B. McClellan Jr. into putting a subway stop there and changing the site's name from Long Acre Square to Times Square.

Ochs had relocated his newspaper to a new tower on 42nd Street in the middle of the square in the western section of Midtown Manhattan. The New York Times held the first New Year's Eve blast in 1904 on the rooftop of One Times Square with fireworks aplenty. The inaugural ball lowering came Dec. 31, 1907. It is estimated that a billion people watch the big event annually via satellite.

1. The New Year's Eve Times Square Ball eases down a flagpole at the top of One Times Square. It drops 77 feet in 60 seconds beginning at 11:59 p.m. EST.

2. Dick Clark made his original New Year's Eve TV show from Times Square in 1972. He was 43.

3. It is estimated that more than a million revelers welcomed in the new millennium on Times Square on Jan. 1, 2000. On average, 20-30 tons of trash are left behind by the crowds.

4. Around 1900, Times Square, then called Long Acre Square, was a bustling horse and harness district. Its shape is actually not that of a square but more like a bow tie.

5. The world's largest McDonald's neon arches ó 21 feet high and 24 feet wide ó are located at the fast-food restaurant in Times Square. It is also the busiest McDonald's in the United States, attracting 3 million visitors a year.

6. It is estimated that about 80% of the visitors to New York City check out Times Square. In 2004, an estimated 31.4 million tourists dropped by the square to stare a spell.

7. That first New Year's Eve Times Square Ball in 1907 was made of iron and wood and decorated with 100 25-watt light bulbs. It weighed 700 pounds and was 5 feet in diameter.

8. The current Times Square Ball weighs 1,070 pounds, is 6 feet in diameter and was designed by Waterford Crystal. The geodesic sphere is covered with 504 Waterford crystal triangles that are bolted to 168 translucent triangular lexan panels, which are attached to the aluminum frame of the ball.

9. The ball's light bulbs, developed by Philips Lighting Co., total 696 lights and 90 rotating pyramid mirrors. They are controlled by computer. The outside has 168 Philips HalogenŠ Brilliant Crystal light bulbs, while there are 432 Philips light bulbs inside (208 clear, 56 red, 56 blue, 56 green and 56 yellow) and 96 high-intensity strobe lights.

10. In the early 1940s, the ball lowering was halted for two years due to the wartime dim-out. The crowds still gathered but celebrated with a minute of silence. Then, chimes rang out from an amplifier truck parked at One Times Square.

11. The Big Apple's famous ball was changed to an apple when red light bulbs and a green stem were added for the drop for seven years in the 1980s in conjunction with the ''I Love New York'' marketing campaign.

12. The NASDAQ sign at 4 Times Square on 43rd Street cost more than $37 million to build. At 120 feet high, it is the largest LED display in the world.

13. More than 1.7 million people pass through Times Square daily. Kodak estimates that in this era of digital point-and-shoots and camera phones, nearly 100 million pictures of Times Square are taken annually.

14. Among the famous flicks filmed in Times Square were Midnight Cowboy, Shaft, Taxi, The Sunshine Boys, Phone Boy, Spider-Man and Jerry Maguire.

15. One of the most famous Times Square creations was a billboard built by Artkraft Strauss. The 1941 Camel cigarette advertisement had rings coming out of a smoker's mouth every four seconds.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 27th, 2004, 09:57 PM   #2
NYaddict
*Gotham*

Likes (Received): 0

cool!
NYaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #3
Vlad the Great

I heard Dick Clark had a stroke. Is he still going to host or is somebody else going to?
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #4
A42251

Times Square is my favorite place on Earth, hands down. I was there for the Millennium ball-drop and it was the most awesome thing I have ever experienced.
A42251 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Hmm i "think" lindsey lohan is gonna host "i think"
Yankee BOY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #6
LeCom
Shazam

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by A42251
Times Square is my favorite place on Earth, hands down. I was there for the Millennium ball-drop and it was the most awesome thing I have ever experienced.
I was there in Brooklyn watching the million fools freezing their asses off watching the ball drop, and that was a pretty awesome experience too. Then we went to the roof of my friend's four-story brownstone and watched the fireworks in Manhattan (the roof had a badass view of Modtown) and the ones in Brooklyn over at Grand Army Plaza, which were actually better than those in Manhattan.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #7
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BOY
Hmm i "think" lindsey lohan is gonna host "i think"
I wish, I'd definitely watch that.

Regis Philbin's gonna host it.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:20 PM   #8
LeCom
Shazam

Likes (Received): 222

Now hotwired by Emporis.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:11 AM   #9
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
5. The world's largest McDonald's neon arches ó 21 feet high and 24 feet wide ó are located at the fast-food restaurant in Times Square. It is also the busiest McDonald's in the United States, attracting 3 million visitors a year.
And yet I've never noticed them.
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:34 AM   #10
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 4

welcome to the forums Archiconnoisseur!

and is that mcdonald's the one with the hooribly out of place models of nyc buildings?
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:27 AM   #11
A42251

I think it is the McDondalds on the south side of 42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues.
A42251 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #12
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

Salutations to you, too, Ellatur!
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #13
SkyHigh529
Atlien

Likes (Received): 1

I think I went to that McDonalds the last time I was there... isn't it two stories with a majority of the seating on the second floor?
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #14
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 33

Isn't there some kind of law restricting the absence of neon signs and advertisments in Times Square?
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote