daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #61
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
My head is spinning now!
See what I just said. Or give Jeffrey Heller a call: 425-247-1100. And while you are talking to him, ask when 181 Fremont will top out (he's also their architect).

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; January 25th, 2016 at 08:11 AM.
Cal_Escapee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #62
techniques1200s

Likes (Received): 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_Escapee View Post
I hate these pissing contests about height but project web sites often are not updated for YEARS. It also strikes me as unlikely that the Business Times reporter on the development beat--these things are his JOB--would get more confused than posters here or that he would fail to confirm such facts with the architect he is interviewing. Also note that at 910 ft, the building would be the city's second tallest, not third as it will be a 850 ft. And the BizTimes article makes enough of an issue of that that it is nearly impossible to believe they had the facts wrong and the architect failed to correct them.

But everyone can believe what they want to believe. As far as I'm concerned, the official height of the building (taller tower) is 850 ft and that will change only when there is clarification from an official source that is current.
Ok... For the record reporters do often get things wrong, and not all websites fail to get updated.

I think it's very reasonable to use height numbers from the tower's official website for now, rather than confusing numbers that have so far been mentioned by a single reporter in a single article, and which are at odds with said website and all the planning documents and articles we've seen up until this point. Not to mention 850' is already the roof height limit, and its easy for that to confuse people (like I said, its happened with reporters before), especially when a total structural height number is not always listed in SF planning documents. And apparently the mods feel that way too...

Maybe it actually has been downsized, but we don't really know for sure at this point.

edit: here's a new article about the tower, and they still have the height at 910', with no mention of any downsizing:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...#photo-9286180

So it's looking more and more like the business times reporter did get confused by the roof height number, if you ask me. Anyways, there are a couple new close up renderings in that article:

And here's another recent rendering that hasn't been posted here yet:

It's too bad about the exposed elevator shafts on the west side of the building. It'll still look nice though, just not the same clean-looking design that the building seemed to have before we got a good look at that side.

Last edited by techniques1200s; January 26th, 2016 at 02:09 AM.
techniques1200s no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 04:56 AM   #63
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by techniques1200s View Post
Ok... For the record reporters do often get things wrong, and not all websites fail to get updated.
here's a new article about the tower, and they still have the height at 910', with no mention of any downsizing:
King's article didn't involve an interview with the building principles as the BizTimes one did and focuses more on the TransBay District, meaning he may have done a minimum of research on 50 First per se and relied on his previous knowledge. Still, I respect him as a reporter enough that I emailed him as follows:

Quote:
Mr. King,

I participate in a skyscraper fan site called Skyscrapercity.com and several recent articles have provoked a debate about the height of this building. A recent article in the San Francisco Business Times ( http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...us-foster.html ) made an issue of the building having been downsized from 910 ft to 850 ft, lowering it from San Francisco’s second tallest to third tallest (after the Salesforce Tower and the TransAmerica Building). In your article dated January 25th, you state that the building’s “basic details are the same as when the initial plans were filed . . . .”, i.e the planned height remains at 910 ft.

Please clarify for us a much as you can what the height of the 2 towers comprising this structure will be and whether the published heights refer to height to the roof of the occupied space, to the top of any HVAC structures or penthouse, or possibly even to the height of any planned spire or mast.

Thanks an awfully lot if you can help us.
Hopefully, he'll respond.
Old January 28th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #64
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

techniques1200s is apparently correct:

Quote:
The top occupied floor (if built!) will be 850 feet. But the top, as with the Salesforce Tower, will be a sculptural element and it will extend up to 910 feet

Hope this helps,

John King
For those who may not know, John King has been the San Francisco Chronicle architecture reporter/critic for decades and is respected as a source in the city.
Old January 31st, 2016, 08:28 AM   #65
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

I like it.
/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #66
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Refined Plans for a Grand Six-Story Urban Room
March 16, 2016

The refined plans for a six-story “urban room” at the base of the proposed Oceanwide Center, which includes a pair of towers which would rise up to 910 feet in height along First Street and 636 feet in height along Mission, will be presented to San Francisco’s Planning Commission on Thursday.

As designed by Foster + Partners, the now 26,000 square foot privately-owned, but publicly-accessible, open space (POPOS) would connect First to Jessie and Ecker Streets, with multiple terraces, sitting areas, walkways and access to 12,500 square feet of ground floor retail space between the new towers and historic 88 First Street building on the corner.

A water feature at the far end of the Urban Room’s Event terrace, which could be cleared for farmers’ markets, exhibits or special events, would double as an elevated stage when the water isn’t flowing.

The Center’s Café-Terrace would be served by a new two-story cafe within the existing 78 First Street building on the site.

A pocket park would sprout along Mission, adjacent to the Center’s proposed 518 Mission Street hotel and condo tower.

And as envisioned, the ground floor of the renovated 88 First Street building would become another high-end grocery store with offices above . . . .

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...-downtown.html
Old March 18th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #67
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57857

Quite some brave design for Frisco, we haven't seen something like this in the city within the skyscraper height scheme since the Transamerica Pyramid. Could be great, but could also turn out pretty bad (even though it's Foster-designed).

Btw, what's the 191m part here? It doesn't seem to appear in the renders?!
Or was that an older concept?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 08:42 PM   #68
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this scheme... I just can't help but think they're being really optimistic with the amount of light filtering into this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Btw, what's the 191m part here? It doesn't seem to appear in the renders?! Or was that an older concept?
The shorter tower is going to be a residential (or maybe hotel now?) although it hasn't cropped up in the new renders, and we only ever had some pretty rough sketches:

I have to think it will have gone through a pretty significant revision in order to meld with the taller tower.

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #69
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10784

Good looking tower and SF's skyline needs the height.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:41 AM   #70
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Quite some brave design for Frisco, we haven't seen something like this in the city within the skyscraper height scheme since the Transamerica Pyramid. Could be great, but could also turn out pretty bad (even though it's Foster-designed).
I'm not sure what you are saying because there is currently a building under construction (Salesforce Tower) taller than this one and the TransAmerica at 326 M and another just a bit shorter (181 Fremont).

Quote:
Btw, what's the 191m part here? It doesn't seem to appear in the renders?!
Or was that an older concept?
No. This project is for 2 towers, one mixed use (the taller) and one residential (the shorter). Both are seen here with the Foster tower on the left, the other one on the right (the shorter building between them in this view is already there):

West side

Here's another view:

East side
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #71
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

I have to think it will have gone through a pretty significant revision in order to meld with the taller tower.
That is the curvy old Renzo Piano design, now scrapped.

Old March 19th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #72
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are saying because there is currently a building under construction (Salesforce Tower) taller than this one and the TransAmerica at 326 M and another just a bit shorter (181 Fremont).
FYI, this is 181 Fremont (240 M)--check out its thread:

Old March 19th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #73
MarshallKnight

Ah there we go, I forgot the new design had appeared in that render. Definitely an improvement over the curvy version.

But man, you can't mention Renzo without reminding me that we were going to have twin 1200+ footers here...
Old March 19th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #74
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Actually, I was wrong too. The curvy design was SOM's. Renzo's was the pencil-thin "bamboo shoots" design. Anyway, for now it finally seems to be making progress toward getting built if this boom doesn't go bust first (and either Prop. M or the little building that sits on a tiny bit of the site and whose owner is driving a very hard bargain don't stop it).

Last edited by Cal_Escapee; March 19th, 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #75
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
Plans for the Ultimate San Francisco Penthouse
April 25, 2016

. . . As currently envisioned and rendered (below), the entire top floor of the 60-story tower to rise at 68 First Street is to become a single 17,000-square-foot, five-bedroom Grand Penthouse with a shell ceiling height of around 16 feet.

The size of the Grand Penthouse would rival that of the 17,000-square-foot penthouse atop the St. Regis at 188 Minna, which is the largest residence in San Francisco and sold for $28 million in 2011, having been foreclosed upon earlier that year and listed for $70 million in 2008.

And while the 68 First Street penthouse wouldn’t offer nearly the same amount of outdoor space as either of the other aforementioned units, there are plans for a tiny private terrace in the middle of tower’s residential open space above and the condo would lay claim to being the highest residential unit in San Francisco, as measured from the ground, and with no other parcels in the city currently zoned for building any higher.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...the-works.html
Old April 27th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #76
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
New Timing for San Francisco’s Second Tallest Tower to Rise
April 23, 2016

. . . now planning to break ground for Oceanwide Center in November.

As designed by Foster + Partners, the 60-story First Street Tower will yield 1.1 million square feet of office space across floors 7 to 40; a gym and residential amenities on floors 41 and 42; and 109 condominiums, each with at least two bedrooms, above . . . .

The adjacent 54-story Mission Street Tower, which is being designed by Heller Manus and will occupy the currently vacant site at the corner of Mission and Ecker Place, will yield 156 condominiums over a 169-room hotel and 2,000 square feet of ground-floor restaurant space fronting Ecker, which would become a pedestrian alley.

The overall Oceanwide Center development includes an underground garage for 360 cars (133 spaces of which will be offered with the condos) and 364 bikes.

And if all goes as planned, the towers could be ready for occupancy by the end of 2019 or early 2020.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...r-to-rise.html

MODS: Take note of new name: Oceanwide Center
Old April 27th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #77
Stringpicker

Likes (Received): 257

With the addition of the Salesforce Tower and this project San Francisco moves up to North America's 3rd most impressive skyline IMHO. A few years ago my wife and I celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary with a trip to San Francisco. We loved our time there. In the interests of full disclosure I must confess to being a San Francisco Giants fan since the days of Willie Mays.

Manitopiaaa liked this post
Stringpicker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #78
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Holy friggin' smokes, are you serious? Is this penthouse going to go to market or does Mark Benioff just get it automatically?
Old April 27th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #79
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Well, it would make for a nice commute for Mark: A walk across the street. But he seems more interested in charitable giving than ostentation. There are a number of hedge fund guys and entrepreneurs in town more likely to crave something like this than Mark I suspect. I wouldn't even put Oracle's Larry Ellison--Benioff's biggest competitor--out of the running. Larry collects fancy homes.
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #80
Cal_Escapee
In Search of Sanity

Quote:
The Surprisingly Sophisticated Design for a Tower on Mission (St.)
April 28, 2016

From a distance, the Heller Manus design for the proposed 54-story tower at 518 Mission Street, the shorter of the two Oceanwide Center towers to rise at Mission and First, might look rather plain.

But the closer you get, the more detail is revealed, including the tower’s oversized window vitrines which float in front of a natural stone façade.

If approved, the Mission Street Tower will yield 156 condominiums (including a single 9,100-square-foot penthouse on the top floor over a 156-room hotel and 2,000 square feet of ground-floor restaurant space fronting Ecker Street which would become a pedestrian alley.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...comment-254677

Tags
50 first street, oceanwide center, san francisco, soma, transbay