daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2013, 01:17 AM   #181
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Pity the tea partiers hate trains.
true

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:25 AM   #182
McSky

Likes (Received): 1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Oh no reason, except I've extensively visited New York, haved lived in South Orange and studied in Princeton (where I was in New York every weekend). As for you bringing up Moll Flanders and Charlton Heston: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're in your 70s and have no clue about New York humor today.

You're way off base, as usual. I'm way way younger than 70. And NYC humor doesn't change like fashions do, so "New York humor today" really has no meaning, except to cite current "hot" comedians. There isn't even one type of NYC humor, as it's diversified by ethnicity more than time period.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:49 AM   #183
McSky

Likes (Received): 1913

No one knows what will become of MSG/Penn Station, but here is what the site looked like in early 1941. This is a nice view of the vaulted roof, with the lights shining through:

McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:05 AM   #184
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
No one knows what will become of MSG/Penn Station, but here is what the site looked like in early 1941. This is a nice view of the vaulted roof, with the lights shining through:

One of the most egregious errors of judgment ever rendered and so many New Yorkers who remember the original Pennsylvania Station will agree... never should have been torn down... just magnificent! I have used the entrance now in the bowels of Madison Square Garden to go to Mets games and it's appalling....so dank and pedestrian with no charm or style whatsoever. Maybe the conversion of the Moynihan Post Office as a new entrance will help but the original location was breathtaking beyond words.

One great quote sums it up so well comparing wistfully, then with disdain the old Penn Station with the "new".... "One used to enter New York like a god, now one scuttles in like a rat!"

Last edited by citybooster; October 31st, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:39 PM   #185
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Yes, it is a ridiculous embarrassment that NYC's main station resembles something from the development world. So sad that they won't be able to correct this mistake for years. I am optimistic though that sooner or later something will be done to move MSG.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:49 PM   #186
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Just need LOTS of $$$ & political will

Quote:
Yes, it is a ridiculous embarrassment that NYC's main station resembles something from the development world. So sad that they won't be able to correct this mistake for years. I am optimistic though that sooner or later something will be done to move MSG.
Just need LOTS of $$$ & political will.

It's possible NYC does not renew the lease in 2023, MSG moves & the current MSG is removed. This would allow better flow on the platforms below because MSG support columns can be removed & the concourse flow/look could be improved.

But this does not address a growing population using NJtransit, Metro-North & Amtrak to get into the new, fancy Penn Station through two then 113+ year old tunnels that are basically used non-stop except @ night.

To give an example of the "LOTS of $$$" needed the Amtrack Gateway project would provide the two additional, new Hudson River tunnels & make MUCH-needed improvements to NJ rail infrastructure to USE the tunnels effectively:
In 2012, revised projections put the cost at $14.5 billion and completion date at 2025.[19] - wikipedia

Hey! Start spending that $14.5B now and you could then say in 2023 when the MSG lease expires that we will soon (2025) have the needed rail infrastructure to take proper advantage of a NEW Penn Station.

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 31st, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:13 PM   #187
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

This thread needs to be closed, along with half of the Chinese vision threads.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:45 AM   #188
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10376

Quote:
You mean Penn Station? I find the Port Authority Bus Terminal to be far, far worse. I've been heckled, stalked, mugged and have gotten lost for 30 minutes finding the darn Megabus to Trenton. It's a labyrinthine piece of shit and is, in my opinion, even worse than Penn.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Chris666 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #189
Dallas maverick

Likes (Received): 4

DSR's proposal here is almost glorious, simply fantastic. Almost too much fun. Years on I would still love to see this one come about. At least a number of the moves here have made their way into the built work since.
Dallas maverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote