daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:14 PM   #61
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What ridiculous plans.

Alhtough if I were forced to choose, I think shop's is the least stupid.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:18 PM   #62
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
The Farley Post Office right across 8th Ave still makes much more sense to me. Converting it into the New Penn Station, Moynihan Station. The tracks of the current Penn run beneath it already. It's large enough to accommodate the LIRR, Jersey Transit and Amtrak. The project preserves the classic postal building and brings back the feel of the old station.

Why go thru the whole process of moving MSG. They own the land and on top of that this summer they are completing a 3 year, a 1 billion dollar+ renovation of the arena..it's state of the art now!

I'm all for supertalls around the immediate area and it's happening regardless with the hudson yards projects and possibly 15 penn in the near future. Keep MSG and go with the plan to convert the Farley post office into the New Penn Station
MSG is outdated and unworthy of the massive amount of important land it occupies even with the renovation. It should be torn down, and it will be torn down.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:35 PM   #63
TonyNYC

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
MSG is outdated and unworthy of the massive amount of important land it occupies even with the renovation. It should be torn down, and it will be torn down.

Have you been in the Garden recently? MSG was definitely outdated a few years back, not anymore, not even close. I'm saying this as current and 17 year NY Knick season ticket holder.
TonyNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #64
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

New York is a great city but I really want to see a nice thick supertall/megatalls added to the skyline. There are a lot of thin proposals and buildings under construction, at least from what I notice. I think I just miss the height and thickness of the old WTC. None of the new buildings seem to give that "strength" back to the skyline.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:55 PM   #65
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
New York is a great city but I really want to see a nice thick supertall/megatalls added to the skyline. There are a lot of thin proposals and buildings under construction, at least from what I notice. I think I just miss the height and thickness of the old WTC. None of the new buildings seem to give that "strength" back to the skyline.
Indeed, that's why it's a shame 15 Penn Plaza was cancelled.

FM 2258 liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:44 AM   #66
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Quote:
More proposals

All images courtesy Curbed NY
Seriously looks like the smaller Ping An tower:
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhou2005 View Post

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:51 AM   #67
zapor1

These proposals are concepts, pipe dreams that have NO chance of happening. They were commissioned by an independent group with almost no leverage on what actually happens. Even if something were to happen on the MSG and surrounding sites, it would be in 15-20 years. Close this thread.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:42 AM   #68
Archaean
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
These proposals are concepts, pipe dreams that have NO chance of happening. They were commissioned by an independent group with almost no leverage on what actually happens. Even if something were to happen on the MSG and surrounding sites, it would be in 15-20 years. Close this thread.
Lets close the India Tower and Changsha Tower threads too. Those buildings have just as much of a chance of being built as this proposal. This is a long term proposal, but a real one. You simply sound jealous of New York.

Kanto, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM   #69
zapor1

Quote:
Lets close the India Tower and Changsha Tower threads too. Those buildings have just as much of a chance of being built as this proposal. This is a long term proposal, but a real one. You simply sound jealous of New York.
India Tower is on hold currently so it has a chance of being restarted. Changsha Tower has an actual person behind it that can build it. What do these proposals have? Nothing. They're renders mainly to show what could happen with the MSG site as in New York there is currently a hot debate over whether or not to kick MSG out and rebuild Penn Station. And I can't really be jealous of New York while living in it.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM   #70
Archaean
BANNED

India Tower and the Changsha project are little more than third world pipe dreams. They are no more justified in possessing threads as this proposal.

-Corey- liked this post
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM   #71
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
I agree with Archaen, if this is closed half the other supertall threads here should be closed aswell.

Kanto, -Corey- liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM   #72
JJG

Likes (Received): 1049

Very futuristic.

The only thing that's missing...

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTvZQ_dfVnmzpk4Ys31ywndV8U0RlDo9WRMqZ-CdBk3h-rFgEt[/IMG]
JJG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:57 AM   #73
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8056

So this is just a vision, nothing serious. ryt ?
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #74
SkYsCrApEr2013
The AlphaWolf of the Pack

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
If "Changsha Tower" means "J220 (Sky City)", then the Changsha building is approved, so that means that it'll start construction sometime this month.

Burj Khalifa, Shanghai Tower, Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Ping An Finance Center,
Goldin Finance 117, One World Trade Center, Chow Tai Fook Centre, Taipei 101, Shanghai World Financial Center and International Commerce Center.

R.I.P. Sawtooth Pack. You will be deeply missed.

I'm a really huge wolf lover! :D

I'M BACK!!!!
SkYsCrApEr2013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM   #75
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
India Tower and the Changsha project are little more than third world pipe dreams. They are no more justified in possessing threads as this proposal.
Quote:
India Tower is on hold currently so it has a chance of being restarted. Changsha Tower has an actual person behind it that can build it. What do these proposals have? Nothing. They're renders mainly to show what could happen with the MSG site as in New York there is currently a hot debate over whether or not to kick MSG out and rebuild Penn Station. And I can't really be jealous of New York while living in it.
This.

This sure shouldn't be classed as proposed. There are no intentions of these specific designs being built. One day, years away, something similar might be planned for the site, but from what has been said here there is no intention of actually moving any of these proposals forward. Changsha still has a far better chance of being built, and India Tower at least was a real proposal that had construction works begin even if it may now have been cancelled. This New York development is literally unable to be cancelled because it isn't an actual project. I shouldn't need to explain this but it seems some can't see it As for India Tower and Changsha being 'third world pipe dreams', that's an absurd comment. The countries the projects are in will soon be #3 and #1 in the world respectively in terms of GDP. You may say that doesn't mean they're not 3rd world countries, but they're growing so quickly that I think you'll be surprised by how soon it'll be that the west looks backwards in comparison.

Closer to topic having dealt with some silly assertions: There should be a place for these to be discussed as the designs put forward are interesting, but I don't think this is the right area. I was excited when I opened the thread, and then just annoyed that the whole thing pretty much amounts to nothing.

patrykus liked this post

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; June 1st, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:39 PM   #76
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
1 and 2 WTC are as high and as thick as the old WTC, as is the North HY Tower.

FM 2258 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM   #77
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
I completely agree with you. While this might be more of a visionary project it still is a proposal and proposals belong into this section of the forum. There is absolutely no reason to close this thread down

1Filipe1, -Corey- liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:00 PM   #78
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
This.

This sure shouldn't be classed as proposed. There are no intentions of these specific designs being built. One day, years away, something similar might be planned for the site, but from what has been said here there is no intention of actually moving any of these proposals forward. Changsha still has a far better chance of being built, and India Tower at least was a real proposal that had construction works begin even if it may now have been cancelled. This New York development is literally unable to be cancelled because it isn't an actual project. I shouldn't need to explain this but it seems some can't see it As for India Tower and Changsha being 'third world pipe dreams', that's an absurd comment. The countries the projects are in will soon be #3 and #1 in the world respectively in terms of GDP. You may say that doesn't mean they're not 3rd world countries, but they're growing so quickly that I think you'll be surprised by how soon it'll be that the west looks backwards in comparison.

Closer to topic having dealt with some silly assertions: There should be a place for these to be discussed as the designs put forward are interesting, but I don't think this is the right area. I was excited when I opened the thread, and then just annoyed that the whole thing pretty much amounts to nothing.
And who are you to decide if this is a real proposal or not? If i could decide on half of these chinese and india threads, those threads would never see the light of day. Does it really bother you so much to have an extra thread in this section? Are you raging right now over this thread.. Don't see what the big deal is, if more information comes along and this is just a vision it will be closed, if more information makes this seem a reality it will stay open, whats the big deal

Kanto liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM   #79
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Gotham Tower eh? I say bring it on!

But seriously, once both the Penn Station and MSG get redeveloped and New York gets its first megatall I can die happily.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:48 PM   #80
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
And who are you to decide if this is a real proposal or not? If i could decide on half of these chinese and india threads, those threads would never see the light of day. Does it really bother you so much to have an extra thread in this section? Are you raging right now over this thread.. Don't see what the big deal is, if more information comes along and this is just a vision it will be closed, if more information makes this seem a reality it will stay open, whats the big deal
A proposal, as far as I am concerned, is a project that is proposed (at a push a project that will in the next few months go before a planning committee, though usually that would be described as pre-planning). This isn't. There's enough information to say that this isn't. They are designs by people who don't own the site. Shall I draw some pretty pictures and call them a proposal for another site somewhere else? Going by some comments here that seems like all it takes to get something in the supertall forum. There are plenty of visions that come and go, usually when people put them in this section of the site they are closed.

Of course I'm not raging over it, don't be absurd. As I said earlier, I was annoyed when I realized these weren't real proposals as they seemed exciting, that's the extent of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Gotham Tower eh? I say bring it on!
King Kong on the Empire State Building.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote