daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #181
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

image hosted on flickr

West Side Yard, NYC (14) by Hardcore Shutterbug, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

September Ohm, NYC (15) by Hardcore Shutterbug, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

September Ohm, NYC (9) by Hardcore Shutterbug, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; September 14th, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #182
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Thanks for posting the link to Hardcore Shutterbug's Flckr photo stream. I had not seen this before.

He has some nice recent (~week old) overhead & oblique shots of the Hudson Yards and surrounding area. For example, one of the photos actually shows a little bit of the Penn station tracks UNDER 9th Ave/Farley PO Annex. This is the eastern boundary for Manhattan West development/platform. He also has shots taken from the actual LIRR West Side yard, which Hudson Yards will cover up...

Hers's a link to that photo in his photostream, but there are many more area-relevant photos older & newer than this one. Only really one of the Coach Tower site that I noticed, but there shots of the Culture Shed foundations, etc.:http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...n/photostream/
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #183
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Coach demands rival-free Hudson Yards – and Related agrees
At least eight stores, including Polo Ralph Lauren, are not welcome in South Tower

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/...vals/#comments

Quote:
Related Companies has Coach as an anchor at its Hudson Yards mega-project because it signed off on a demand not to lease any space to competitors of the handbag heavyweight. Coach made the no-competitor condition after it bought 740,000 square feet in the development’s Tower C, or the South Tower.

Related heard from Coach after L’Oreal grabbed 402,000 square feet of the 1.7-million-square-foot building. The lease rider prohibits Related from leasing office or retail space to at least eight competitors, including Polo Ralph Lauren Corp., J. Crew Group and Burberry Group.
One of the rumored companies that is looking at Related's Hudson Yards project is Ralph Lauren, however Ralph Lauren is not prohibited to lease in the North Tower for their HQ.

My questions is what portion does the Mall/ Retail part belong to? The South Tower or the North Tower? If it is indeed part of the South Tower (Coach) then Ralph Lauren would be prohibited to set up a retail store there. That would effectively kill any hopes for Ralph Lauren looking for a new home in the Hudson Yards IMO.

Maybe RL may very well end up setting it's HQ in one of the WTC towers instead if they decide to move from their Madison offices.

Subsequence liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #184
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

A new shot from the HY Facebook page shows the core close up

Quote:
The Hudson Yards construction team is growing. A record 242 on site today. Whoa!

Hudson Yards New York
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #185
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Coach demands rival-free Hudson Yards – and Related agrees
At least eight stores, including Polo Ralph Lauren, are not welcome in South Tower

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/...vals/#comments

One of the rumored companies that is looking at Related's Hudson Yards project is Ralph Lauren, however Ralph Lauren is not prohibited to lease in the North Tower for their HQ.

My questions is what portion does the Mall/ Retail part belong to? The South Tower or the North Tower? If it is indeed part of the South Tower (Coach) then Ralph Lauren would be prohibited to set up a retail store there. That would effectively kill any hopes for Ralph Lauren looking for a new home in the Hudson Yards IMO.

Maybe RL may very well end up setting it's HQ in one of the WTC towers instead if they decide to move from their Madison offices.
As a RL corporate employee, I would love for us to move to Hudson Yards. We currently operate out of roughly 11 buildings scattered all around Manhattan, which is ridiculously inconvenient. I can't tell you how much time and money we throw away annually on cab/train rides between meetings.

However, I can say that there are no serious rumblings of an HQ move within the company right now. Obviously, this is the sort of deal that would happen very high up the power ladder, so it may be happening without my knowledge. But right now, no rumors...

It'd be a hell of a legacy for Ralph to get a tower named after him. He's in his 70s now and has to be thinking of the future of his company without him.

Kanto, MarshallKnight liked this post
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #186
solgoldberg

IS Tutor Perini also doing the platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
A new shot from the HY Facebook page shows the core close up

Hudson Yards New York

Thanks for posting that. I suspected that Tutor Perini (who is building the Amtrak Gateway Tunnel Box in the ERY itself) was also working on the Coach Tower. I hadn't bothered looking it up, but I think the photo confirms it.

I assume that having the same company working on both the tunnel box, the tower and the Culture Shed foundations should help expedite the construction.
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #187
solgoldberg

September photos from HY facebook

More photos were posted to the HY FB page today. I could not locate an exact date, so I do not know if these are more recent than the one above. They do have a different preseptive. This one is looking SE

South Tower - September 2013 Photo Credit: Geoff Butler

iamtheSTIG, j-biz, Kanto liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #188
solgoldberg

Altogether there are four photos posted today with similar credit, but taken on what look like different days:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Also, Amtrak provided a couple of updated "concrete" dates for platform construction in a press release two days ago.
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/930/618/...ATK-13-105.pdf

The press release was for a ceremonial Gateway tunnel box ground breaking: Amtrak's construction site is immediately adjacent to the Coach/South Tower site. Portions of the ~south half of the Hudson Yards platform will be overbuilt on the tunnel box.

"Platform construction consisting of foundation work for the commercial buildings will commence in January 2014 with structural steel erection of the platform commencing in June."

I ASSUME the foundation work that Amtrak refers to is in the east side of the yard, maybe in the NE where the big drill rig has been. OR, maybe they'll start platform foundation work in the area where the soon-to-be-demolished LIRR MOE building was. The red arrow in this rendering shows the Coach Tower site, the MOE building is to the left of the arrow. Tutor Perini is the contractor for the Coach tower, the Amtrak tunnel box and is also the PRIME contractor for Hudson Yards...

image hosted on flickr

Kanto, j-biz liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 25th, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #189
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hmph, hard to tell from those photos what is the core and what are just the retaining walls of the site. If I knew the current height of the core I could update my diagram
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #190
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Hmph, hard to tell from those photos what is the core and what are just the retaining walls of the site. If I knew the current height of the core I could update my diagram
Yah, I find them equally confusing, especially with various columns mixed in. I assume that some of the columns are for the plaza to the west of the tower. Note that the Geoffrey Butler photo credit is that of a structural engineer/Senior PM at Tishman Construction. Tishman is building partner to Tutor Perini.

I "volunteer" J-biz (or anybody else) to take some overall site photos. Maybe from the north end of the High Line? Or from the Ohm building?

The short article (with photos) at the following link is good if you are interested in the history and current businesses (horse stables, etc.) that are being forced out as this overall area is being developed, Overall area meaning heading north along the being-created now Hudson Blvd.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...evelopment.php

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 25th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #191
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

I believe UrbanImpressionist @ SSP lives in Ohm. He's posted a few shots from that vantage point before. I'm curious what would happen if I just waltzed in the lobby and headed for the roof.

Unfortunately most of the action is really obscured right now by the High Line. I'll see what I can manage with my iPhone...

Kanto, solgoldberg liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #192
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I believe UrbanImpressionist @ SSP lives in Ohm. He's posted a few shots from that vantage point before. I'm curious what would happen if I just waltzed in the lobby and headed for the roof.

Unfortunately most of the action is really obscured right now by the High Line. I'll see what I can manage with my iPhone...
Thanks for the response.
"hardcore shutterbug" of flickr is a LIRR worker at the west side yards who was the source of some of the daytime shots of the yards taken from the ohm. Don't know if he knew somebody or just waltzed in the lobby.

The HL org is also running advance reservation 45 minute tours of the undeveloped section "High Line at the Rail Yard" that wraps around the West Side Yards/Hudson Yards. I ASSUME they take you further east on this stretch, but I don't know for sure:

image hosted on flickr

Snip from original photo by Timothy Schenck

Thursdays 3:30 PM, 4:30 PM
Fridays 3:30 PM, 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM
Saturdays 11:00 AM; 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM
Free admission | Advance reservations required
See more at: ttp://art.thehighline.org/project/carolbove/#sthash.khNaeVJU.dpuf

Kanto, iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 25th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #193
solgoldberg

September 25th photo source

A "source" for as-far-as-I-can-tell straight-from-the-iPhone JPG versions of the lower res photos that appeared in today's HY FB page are available at this pinterest page:
http://www.pinterest.com/hudsonyards...-construction/
Clicking through on the image will get you to the high resolution .jpgs

The EXIF fields are present and they indicate the morning of September 25.
I'm posting a different photo than I did earlier today for variety; this time looking NE from under the HighLine. I assume the "core" is on the right;

Pinterest version of Hudson Yards - South Tower: September 2013 Photo Credit: Geoff Butler

orange boy, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 26th, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #194
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Snapped some pics during lunch. And I've resolved to infiltrate Ohm on the next clear, sunny day.

jglover1028

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #195
solgoldberg

September 26 j-biz photos

Thanks for the photos! They give a much better overall view to the site than those posted by the structural engineer on the HY FB pape. I assume he's got a different eye for his photos due to his job role.

I've also posted your photo that shows the progress at the adjacent & future platform linked Amtrak tunnel box. They've gotten to the stage of actually taking down the north end (left side in photo) of the LIRR MOE building.

So I'm assuming more and more that's where we'll see drill rigs in January 2014. They'll be drilling for the caissons for the foundations of the retail platform, with steel going up in June 2014..

This makes sense to ME: the entire MOE building & access track area has been vacated and is under the control of Tutor Perini, the prime for HY.

Besides my speculation, anybody have any opinions (or facts) as to where the platform construction will start?

Photo by j-biz. Looking east at Amtrak Gateway tunnel box construction/LIRR MOE bldg demolition with Coach/South Tower site at right. Even at the higher resolutions available from the flickr photostream I can't tell if 10th Ave. is built on a viaduct or on fill.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9953541273/

image hosted on flickr

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 26th, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old September 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #196
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by themodulorman, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

xXFallenXx, orange boy, Kanto, McSky, j-biz and 3 others liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #197
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

platform steel was awarded today.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #198
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28206

That is very cool, updates from inside the pit.

istres liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #199
solgoldberg

Platform steel awarded to who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
platform steel was awarded today.

Thanks. That makes sense considering that Amtrak stated last week "structural steel erection of the platform commencing in June" 2014.

Who got the contract?
Tutor-Perini?
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #200
solgoldberg

HYFB page states Filagree concrete has arrived

Dunno exactly what the "Filagree concrete" is but here's the photo.
The FB text also states "it's only a matter of time before the South Tower peeks above the fence.":

Source: HY FB page 9/30/2013

desertpunk liked this post

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards