daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #361
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Never Mention the words UN, NSA, Bomb, spying etc. on this forum!! All keywords That will trigger an automatic monitoring/ spying on this forum and all of us here.

Oh shoot! I just did. Maybe I'll just stop. Lol

Maybe I should have not said shoot also??

Ok.... I'm spooked now with the possibility that a spook is now monitoring us. Gotta go! Peace. Lol

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

hunser, bozenBDJ liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #362
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

10HY starting to block view of Brutalist 450W33

hardcoreshutterbug was strolling the High Line two days ago and took the following shot. Only the large sat dishes on top of 450 W 33rd are visible above the 30HY tower & forms.

Photo is looking NE from the north end of the High Line phase II:

image hosted on flickr

12/4/2013 by hardcoreshutterbug http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...g/11230684705/
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #363
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

I like 430 West 33rd to be honest ... it needs a rooftop park but otherwise its a fine building.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #364
solgoldberg

450 W33rd street is fine by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I like 430 West 33rd to be honest ... it needs a rooftop park but otherwise its a fine building.
Yerp. It's got a rooftop basketball court.
But my late '70s college days were spent passing through the bowels of nearby Penn Station & the nearby Herald Sq subways and PATH. I view the current condition of Penn/etc. as an improvement so something like this iconic "monster" "Brutalist-style" former distribution center has the look of the "old" city.

The century+ old horse stables a few blocks NW of 450 are interesting anachronisms also.

And AFAIK, it is the HQ of the AP, which to me is a sign that NYC is still one of the media centers of the world.

Anyway we'll see how this area blends together in a few years with 10 HY open, the retail building on HY platform open, 450 updated w/ the attached MW platform finished, Phase 3 High Line open, etc..

I wonder if that smokestack east of 10 HY will still be standing in a few years?

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 7th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #365
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
I wonder if that smokestack east of 10 HY will still be standing in a few years?
That smokestack is part of the building I work in. The lot next door is supposedly being developed (thread here), but I haven't heard anything about our building being torn down.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #366
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
That smokestack is part of the building I work in. The lot next door is supposedly being developed (thread here), but I haven't heard anything about our building being torn down.
Thx. A relatively recent article in that thread reveals that the state owns the "truck parking lot" between the WRY & Javits, where the High Line comes down to ground. The article has the streets off by 1, the lot is between 33rd & 34th:
Quote:
The Real Deal, November 1 2012

[...]

Scuttled projects revived?
Lampen added that there’s a state-owned (and similarly empty) parcel that might be desirable for a hotel south of Javits, too. The site of a truck parking lot, it’s a skinny lot located between West 34th and West 35th streets from 11th to 12th avenues.
Does the smokestack lot look like it did in '08? Boy, the RE market & our economy were really going to change in '08...

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 8th, 2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #367
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28236

Quote:
Yesterday a Related suit said they were on schedule & topping out is September '14
This tower will rise very quickly. The progress is amazing already.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #368
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Are you in 450 W 31st? If so, it's a condo so it won't be torn down unless all the owners are bought out. Unlikely too because all its air rights were sold to the adjacent property.

Subsequence liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #369
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I don't see any reason for all the hate for the lack of coherence in the building designs. If this complex was just 8 North Tower designs, it'd be boring as hell and stick out like a sore thumb. What makes NYC unique is that these complexes do not exist, so every building even in a complex is an individual masterpiece. Even the WTC buildings have incredibly different designs yet they still complement each other. All these nice, futuristic designs that are so different makes them belong in the skyline. Diversity is a virtue.
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #370
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Does the smokestack lot look like it did in '08?
Basically, unless you count the black "blp" they painted on last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Are you in 450 W 31st? If so, it's a condo so it won't be torn down unless all the owners are bought out. Unlikely too because all its air rights were sold to the adjacent property.
Yea, that's where I work. It's all offices, so not exactly a condo per se. But I know my boss owns the floor, so what you say makes sense.
Old December 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #371
Riley1066

I just wish that a cooler company than Coach was moving in ... I mean ... a company that sells handbags? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Coach doesn't deserve architecture like this.

Coach should be on a barge in the Gowanus.

Last edited by Riley1066; December 9th, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #372
solgoldberg

Manhattan fashion industry

Quote:
I just wish that a cooler company than Coach was moving in ... I mean ... a company that sells handbags? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It's all part of the NYC economy, though I was surprised Coach was so large.
Coach is also a survivor of Manhattan's adjacent fashion district, which USED to employee many people.

Remember that there's an expectation that Fashion week will move to the Culture Shed, whenever that is built.

Coach went public in 2000

Quote:
Locations[edit]
Coach is known for ladies' handbags as well as items such as luggage, briefcases, wallets and other accessories.

As of 2012, there are over 600 Coach stores in the United States and Canada, with more expected to open this calendar . In addition, Coach has built a strong presence in the U.S. through Coach boutiques located within select department stores and specialty retailer locations.
Today Coach’s corporate headquarters remain in mid-town Manhattan on 34th Street, in the location of their former factory lofts.
- wikipedia
Old December 9th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #373
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:

And what is it that gets your pulse racing? Mortgages? Phone and internet packages? Personally, I think it's cool a company in a creative industry is anchoring the building. They're one of the biggest names in fashion accessories. This is NYC man, fashion is everything!
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #374
Riley1066

Quote:
And what is it that gets your pulse racing? Mortgages? Phone and internet packages? Personally, I think it's cool a company in a creative industry is anchoring the building. They're one of the biggest names in fashion accessories. This is NYC man, fashion is everything!
Financial companies are run by criminals, fashion companies by frauds.

And seriously, the most creative thing Coach does is convince people that the 2014 bag they sell is in any significant way different from the bag they sold in 2013.

The actual "design" stuff that the fashion industry does should be in the hands of the customers and automated factories not in some overpaid "artists" hands.

If Coach should be in a barge on the Gowanus, Goldman Sachs should be in a rusty shipping crate in Hoboken.

Gimme Tech companies and hotels and media companies. Also schools and hospitals maybe.

Almost none of the companies in NYC deserve the real estate they own to be honest. None of the companies in the world deserve them.

I love big architecture but I hate practically all companies wealthy enough to afford it.

But I this is going off topic I admit.
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #375
Riley1066

Quote:
It's all part of the NYC economy, though I was surprised Coach was so large.
Coach is also a survivor of Manhattan's adjacent fashion district, which USED to employee many people.

Remember that there's an expectation that Fashion week will move to the Culture Shed, whenever that is built.

Coach went public in 2000

- wikipedia
Fashion Week is worthless ... sorry ... gimme an event related to Space Exploration or Biomedical research or something ... actually useful ...

Heck, let Playboy or Hustler throw a party at the Culture Shed, at least they are more honest than the fashion industry.

What clothes people are wearing is sooo far down the list of interesting things for a city to do.
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #376
Vertical_Gotham

What we have to keep in mind about Coach whether one likes them or hate them...is the whole Hudson Yard Dream would not have been possible this quickly w/o Coach. The Hudson Yards would have been a pipe dream and for Coach, I am thankful.

The Hudson Yards is going to be rocking in a few years.

10 HuYa High Line Entrance

Retail Mall

iamtheSTIG, wespje1990 liked this post
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #377
Riley1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
What we have to keep in mind about Coach whether one likes them or hate them...is the whole Hudson Yard Dream would not have been possible this quickly w/o Coach. The Hudson Yards would have been a pipe dream and for Coach, I am thankful.
I wouldn't have minded seeing the rail yard stay exposed to be honest. I like trains.
Old December 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #378
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
I wouldn't have minded seeing the rail yard stay exposed to be honest. I like trains.
I like trains too!

But to be honest 99.99% of New Yorkers would not mind for the Rail Yards to be covered ESPECIALLY with such an amazing projects courtesy of Related Co's.

30th Street Entrance

10th Avenue Entrance
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #379
solgoldberg

More photos, maybe j-biz later this week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy @ SSP. The is forcast to get real wintry, but that might make for some interesting shots of the Coach tower & the tunnel box construction in the yards themselves

Photo source Joe Gonzalz (12?, 12/8?) http://statigr.am/coney_dj_joe

McSky liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 10th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old December 10th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #380
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Nothing much getting done today!!

image hosted on flickr

I'll go out this afternoon and take some more pictures close up. We may have 2-4 inches by then, so it should look pretty surreal. Of course we might also not get crap.

iamtheSTIG, solgoldberg liked this post

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards