daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #521
Marco Polo

'building grow slow' - but at least 'grow'....
Marco Polo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #522
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Almost every building moves slowly at the first few floors and the last. Once it finally gets above the extremely complicated diagonals and transfer floors for the varying height spaces, it will move far faster on the repeating office floors. Also, it is much harder to pour concrete when it keeps dropping below freezing. Concrete generates heat as it cures, but it still can freeze at the edges if it is as cold as it has been at night (regularly reaching 10 degrees Fahrenheit at night), the edges of the concrete could crack, rendering the entire beam or floor slab useless. Construction has to meet very specific specifications. Better slow than sorry, but the work should significantly speed up next month.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #523
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Hudson Yards Platform Soon to be Underway, Sparking Eastern Rail Yard
http://chelseanow.com/2014/02/hudson...ern-rail-yard/

Quote:
Nearly four months after gleefully treating its workers — as well as numerous grateful reporters — to a five-foot-tall cake in celebration of the one-year anniversary of construction, Related Companies remains vocally optimistic about the current pace of work on its Hudson Yards development. The 26-acre megaproject’s first building, 10 Hudson Yards — what will be a 52-story, 895-foot office tower at the corner of West 30th Street and 10th Avenue — is still moving on time and on budget, according to Michael Samuelian, a Related vice president who serves as one of the project managers directly overseeing Hudson Yards construction. (Related is jointly developing the project alongside Oxford Properties). “I think we’ll see work on the tower go much more quickly now, since the beginning of construction is generally a slower process,” said Samuelian in a recent interview at the company’s headquarters in Columbus Circle. He added that, at this rate, 10 Hudson Yards is still firmly planned to be completed by the end of 2015. Along with office tenants including Coach, L’Oreal USA and software giant SAP, the building’s base, along West 30th Street, will house a new Fairway Market grocery store. -
Quote:
important milestone is very soon to come — and it will spur the growth of the entire Eastern Rail Yard half of the development, which spans from West 30th to West 33rd Streets, between 10th and 11th Avenues. Within weeks, construction will begin on the gargantuan 10-acre platform planned to cover that portion of the rail yard. And this step forward will allow the rest of that half of the project — including two residential towers, a six-story cultural center, six acres of public space, one million square feet of retail and an 80-story office tower (30 Hudson Yards) — to get underway.“It’s huge to be starting the platform, because it gives our schedule so much more certainty that it had a year ago, and it means that the whole Eastern Rail Yard section will be operational within four years,” the Samuelian explained. That half of the overall construction, especially the public space, will solidify the connection between Hudson Yards and the High Line, the final section of which snakes around the rail yard and is set to be finished by this fall. And Samuelian pointed out that the visitors to the elevated park’s final component will, for the next several years, have front row seats to watch the transformation of the site.

“You couldn’t have designed it any better,” he said. “It’s going to be the best construction viewing area that anyone’s ever imagined.”Samuelian further noted that the six-story Culture Shed, which sits right alongside the High Line’s span on West 30th Street, is currently planned to be completed by spring 2018. He pointed out that, although Related is constructing the building, that institution will be run independently by the Culture Shed nonprofit organization, with its own arts and cultural programming.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #524
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
flickr's Hardcore Shutterbug pasted a few moere photos from what I assume is his commute to the LIRR's West Side Yard Monday 2/24/2014.

It was a warm weekend in the NYC area, but the area is rapidly descending into ANOTHER sub-freezing interlude, so I assume there will not be much visible progress on the 10 HY tower this week.

This HarcoreShutterbug photo from 2/24 is looking south from the LIRR's WSY (West Side Yard) at 10 HY. Since he is shooting from train yard level, the view of the Amtrak Gateway tunnel box site is mostly blocked by the LIRR train, BUT you can see the stripped remnant of the LIRR MoE building and, the two cranes, an excavator & the two seemingly-idle vertical caisson drills.
image hosted on flickr

Screen cap from Hardcore Shutterbug original/flckr http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...g/12758132795/ from which you can scroll to two other photos he took of 10HY.

PS: the NWS (National Weather Service) forecast high temps for the rest of this week & upcoming weekend BARELY break 32 deg F & Thursday night low forecast is 11 deg F.
progress is incredibly fast there... I am simply amazed by the speed.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #525
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Real Soon Now; "within weeks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
progress is incredibly fast there... I am simply amazed by the speed.
Thanks to vertical_gotham for posting the Chelseanow.com blurb on Related's optimism. From the photos I've seen the thre yellow vertcla drills have not moved in weeks. But, based upon the blurb's they should start moving and drilling the 250? caissons for the platform foundation"within weeks".

However, I would bet one US dollar that the platform @ the end of 2014 will not be as far along as it was portrayed in December 2013. A snip of the timeline diagram is below, with the red arrow pointing out the PROJECTED overbuild platform status, which is covering the SE corner of the rail yard (attcahing to the Culture Shed plaza & 10 HY). This build progression makes sense (to me) since the developer/builder has to rebuild the LIRR MoE building (& the tracks leading to it) as soon as possible. The view is looking ~NE
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by solgoldberg; February 28th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #526
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I did hear a suspect drilling noise on my brief sojourn outdoors for lunch. It may have just been more work on the tiebacks, but it sounded different.

Alas, it was waaaay too cold and windy to go investigate.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:34 PM   #527
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I did hear a suspect drilling noise on my brief sojourn outdoors for lunch. It may have just been more work on the tiebacks, but it sounded different.

Alas, it was waaaay too cold and windy to go investigate.
Oh yeah: you really do not want to be a homeless person, especially now.

The NWS forecast for the next six days is for basically subfreezing temps, so we'll see little progress involving concrete pours. But maybe they could start drilling the caissons for the platform in the tunnel box construction area...

I've thrown in an Amtrak provided diagram of the relationships for the overbuild platform-tunnel box:
image hosted on flickr

j-biz liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; February 28th, 2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #528
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6774

https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYardsNewYork
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:35 PM   #529
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

It seem spring still isn't around the corner.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #530
solgoldberg

Very early March, but still, where's spring??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
It seem spring still isn't around the corner.
It has been a long and cold winter and the next couple of days still have overnight lows below 20 degrees F. NWS forecast still has subfreezing nights through next weekend.

So, maybe spring will be here March 21...

Hopefully we'll get more progress photos later this week when daytime highs in the upper 30s are forecast.
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #531
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5302

image hosted on flickr
[/url]

image hosted on flickr

solgoldberg, desertpunk liked this post
ILNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #532
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I wonder once they built that platform on top of the trains - how much weight can it take? I just have a hard time comprehending the fact that they are going to build skyscraper on top of columns

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #533
tim1807
faster than buildings

There are many towers built on just columns.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #534
solgoldberg

Construction reality

Quote:
I wonder once they built that platform on top of the trains - how much weight can it take? I just have a hard time comprehending the fact that they are going to build skyscraper on top of columns
I am not a structural engineer so I merely accept the fact that all this has passed design reviews.

What I find interesting is how all this caisson/column construction activity will co-exist with the operations of the country's largest commuter rail line mid-day storage yard.

the LIRR's Hard Core Shutterbug has posted a Feb 28 photo of 10 HY and the staging area for platform/tunnel box construction equipment. And the DSNY garbage trucks on the 11th Ave viaduct. Photo is taken from LIRR property east of 12th AVE/West Side Hwy; Tutor-Perini staging area is right half of photo , north of High Line:

image hosted on flickr

Hardcore Shutterbug http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...n/photostream/
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #535
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Here is how:

noynoy69 liked this post
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #536
solgoldberg

Keeping adjacent construction sites straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Here is how:

Thanks, but this applies to the Manhattan West plaza platform construction technology, which is being used on the EAST side of the current AP HQ, 450 W 33rd St. This plaza is being constructed above Amtrak's Penn Station tracks and yards. In addition, the Manhattan West towers will NOT be built on top of the plaza platform, but will be built on top of the Manhattan bedrock that is to the north & south of the historic Pennsylvania RR/Amtrak Penn Station excavation.

The "Hudson Yards" overbuild above the the MTA/LIRR's West Side Yard is to the WEST of 450 W. 33 rd St, the (in)famous Brutalist style truncated pyramid. A brownish/tan sliver of the southwest corner of 450 W 33rd appears on the left of the Hardcore Shutterbug photo I posted earlier (above).

NYguy posted a diagram on SSC that gives you a general overview of how the eastern side of the HY platform and "North Tower"/30 HY will be built above the LIRR yard's train tracks & AC/DC electrical substation:

NYguy/SSC

Note that the left hand diagram (north at top) complicates the overview by showin the path of the five below-train-yard tunnels that are also shown in the right hand diagram (looking west, north at right). The original two tunnels that the Penn RR built under the Hudson River are lumped together as one wide, straight, tunnel under an imaginary 32 St.
Note also that general shape of the retail podium/overbuild platform sorta matches the red arrow I applied to Related's diagram for the 2014 timeline (below). Both also show most of the future Hudson Blvd superimposed on the train yards:
image hosted on flickr

Overhead view of finished "Phase 1" of Hudson Yards with adjacent, NOT LIRR-overbuild, %0 & 55 Hudson Yards:
image hosted on flickr

AFAIK, we have not yet seen any real caisson drilling for the the overbuild's column foundations and the Hardcore Shutterbug shows at least two of the caisson drills sitting in the same location for the last month. Maybe come spring...

ILNY liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; March 4th, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #537
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Got a lil update here for y'all.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

They've removed the barrier on the High Line that was blocking off the viewing platform. It's now possible to get up close and person with the falsework around the columns.

image hosted on flickr

They really do not have much space to work with down there.

image hosted on flickr
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #538
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Can't wait until this phase opens to the public. It's going to be a great viewing platform watching the whole Hudson Yards develop.

Checking In On The High Line's Final Span, To Open This Fall
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._this_fall.php

Quote:
With the High Line's third and last phase set to open this fall, Chelsea Now got a sneak peek of its progress. As reported, the general vibe will be rustic—overgrown, wild, not-so-manicured. (A giant, verdant bowl o' plants is also in the cards.) Along Phase III, officially called High Line at the Rail Yards, walkways will be lined by untamed horticulture that mimics the passageway's past. It curves west at 30th and Tenth Avenue, and then right at Twelfth Avenue, heading north into the heart of Hudson Yards. According to Friends of the High Line director Jenny Gersten, plantings, many of them native to New York, will be most striking in the westernmost part of the stretch, "where visitors can see the self-sewn landscape that grew after the trains stopped running in 1980." The groundbreaking happened in the fall of 2012, the pathways' planks are partially laid out, and the whole thing is on track to open later this year, as planned.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #539
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
The PanAm, building (for those younger than I, Metlife building) had it's footings "taylored" to conform to the 27 tracks, (on 2 two levels) of Grand Central station's below grade area, with footings located between the tracks, and using transfer trusses to bring the columns to the typical floorplan at, and a several above grade, the building has 3 sub levels, a 12 level podium above grade, and 47 office floors above that, during construction of the sub/podium levels the structural steel was lifted directly from railroad flat cars brought in from the staging yard in New Jersey.

interesting facts are, Grand Central st. never closed during construction, and, at the time of it's completion, the PanAm building was the largest office building in the world. with 3.4 million sq. ft. rentable space, it opened in 1962/3
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #540
tim1807
faster than buildings

Wasn't it 3.14 million sq ft? Doesn't really mathers, I get the point.

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards