daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:22 PM   #561
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

these buildings are probably quite solid and well built, but they are sooooo run down and dirty that I have a hard time imagining them being revitalized.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #562
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Area around there is ripe for ruthless and mass demolishing campaign. it is very bleak, dusty, lacks any kind of character, consists of mostly run down buildings and in general look pretty bad. except for the building on the 9th avenue and corner of 36str which is pretty nice - EVERYTHING else have to go ASAP.
Tearing down most of the buildings you say have to be torn down would be a complete shame. They look like they are structurally sound and have a lot of character. They represent various styles of construction in New York City from the past and as such should be destroyed. People like you who think that the only buildings that should exist are modern glass structures need to realize that a mix of styles, materials and age are what makes a city truly classic. Modern cities their all new structures feel very sterile and don't present a friendly atmosphere to anyone.
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #563
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

The white building is 475 10th Avenue, not 9th Avenue.

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #564
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I would agree that while modern development is often great just glass without the great stone materials take away warmth and humanity... save as much of the past as possible, and where you can build new don't solely rely on glass. Though it will predominate it needs to be complemented and I really hope some of the residential buildings in the Phase II development of HY have stone facades.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #565
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

I feel like this project needs more scaffolding
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #566
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Tearing down most of the buildings you say have to be torn down would be a complete shame. They look like they are structurally sound and have a lot of character. They represent various styles of construction in New York City from the past and as such should be destroyed. People like you who think that the only buildings that should exist are modern glass structures need to realize that a mix of styles, materials and age are what makes a city truly classic. Modern cities their all new structures feel very sterile and don't present a friendly atmosphere to anyone.
I totally agree with JohnFlint. That area is junk. In fact the javits IMO ain't too hot either IMO. The best building in that area is hands down is 475 Tenth Ave and think they may be the only old one to survive there. 475 Tenth is a gorgeous building as it is one of my favorites. It kind of reminds me of the newly constructed the Touraine in the UES.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:03 AM   #567
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
On the contrary I am one of the most conservative people when it comes to demolition in order to build new glass boxes. Every time there is something worth saving or really historic I am for renovation and revitalization. Problem is that this area and absolute majority of buildings are not anything significant, unique, beautiful or memorable in any way. the whole area looks like a glorified slums with dusty buildings with questionable hotels used by prostitutes from the 28th street back in the day. Area is completely dead at night - not a single store, restaurant in almost 7 blocks. on the corner of 38 there is another huge gap - exit from Lincoln tunnel, which can be covered and used for development.

right across from it stands this "masterpiece" that I also think should be demolished and changed for something better.
image hosted on flickr

especially given this view from the same spot
image hosted on flickr

The only building that is worth something in the area - I showed. the rest... I prefer something new.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #568
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
The one with the "Draft Day" sign wouldn't be so bad if it was kept in better shape.
maybe they will save it. plans are not finished yet. next time I will go through 11th avenue and look there as well.

all in all this area used to be heavily industrial and used for sea-port structures. Port is gone and majority of these structures are just plainly out of place and cannot be saved for anything. More to it - they should not be saved, since it is just slums and brick boxes.

If we want to save something - lets do something about the building across the street from Trinity church in downtown. true gem supposed to be demolished for a dull glass box.

74 Trinity place

image hosted on flickr

Old March 25th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #569
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4535

You say them as 'slums' right now, but surely when the Hudson Yards is a lot more built up, these building being cleaned up won't give the impression of a slum anymore?
In there current state yes and much of the space is derelict land, but once built into the urban fabric of a new neighbourhood, they will add character and history to the place

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

streetscapeer liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #570
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Thanks for the opinions/photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
You say them as 'slums' right now, but surely when the Hudson Yards is a lot more built up, these building being cleaned up won't give the impression of a slum anymore?
In there current state yes and much of the space is derelict land, but once built into the urban fabric of a new neighbourhood, they will add character and history to the place
iamtheSTIG: please come, see, and spend money! JFK now has TWO heavy rail connections that will take you to this area. The most recent is the PANYNJ Airtrain that will take you from any JFK terminal to the LIRR/Jamaica station. From LIRR/Jamaica you can then the LIRR main line straightwest into the 1910 vintage bowels of NY Penn Station. The Airtrain will also take you to at least two different subway lines, if you want the NYC subway experience.

74 Trinity looks interesting.

I have not lived close to the HY area in 35+ years and I find the redevelopment/history interesting. To use mild NYC-area vernacular the current area is a "dump", which I appreciate.

Last week's platform-construction info release from Related produced this day-old wired.com blurb:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...-hudson-yards/

Wired.com uses this 103 year old map from NYPL to show the area then. Note that map is upside-down: North is bottom.

Last edited by solgoldberg; March 25th, 2014 at 04:36 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #571
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

That DHL building looks like a typical DHL building: Heavy on the yellow and looking like it was built from Lego bricks. It'd be kinda charming if there was only one or a small handful such DHL buildings, but a lot of them look like that.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #572
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Honestly I am not sure how all of this will look like. according to plan there is going to be a sort of boulevard stretching away diagonally from Hudson yards. Hudson yards are between 28 and 34th street. the slums that I was talking about are above 34th street. I am positive - something will be saved and something will be gone.

But the point is that if a developer has the right to build a 50 story building and there is some old dilapidated building stands there, he will not hesitate, unless there is some historical value there. as much as I know New york and its real historical architecture - these are as regular 1930s low rise buildings as they can get. there are literally thousands of them everywhere. Come to Brooklyn and you will see whole streets lining up with these kind of 3-4 story buildings.

image hosted on flickr

I personally in love with the brick and stone and in particular 1930s Gotham style of New York City. But these have nothing to do with any architecture. it is plainly regular typical brick row houses and warehouses that were there for those who worked in the port. as of now majority of them are empty since no one wants to live in such a place. it is pretty grim during the day and at night it must be "really fun".

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #573
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

here is future Hudson boulevard map. once again - I am not sure which of the buildings will
be taken out and which will be saved.

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #574
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Just to touch up on with what John flint is talking about. The area I’m specifically is talking about is a stretch of old buildings that are currently on the Hudson boulevard Site from 33rd street up to 42nd street between 10th & 11th Avenues.

This is a major development area and many of the buildings in this zone are honestly not worthy to be saved.

You will have the boulevard that will plow through the current existing old buildings to make way.

You will have some unworthy buildings that will end up fronting that new boulevard that will not be pleasing aesthetically. What you will end up with is the exposed sides of those old building with no windows fronting the new boulevard. Those building will eventually be razed to make way for new developments that will compliment the boulevard.

Below is a map I made of that zone.

Color Key:
Blue – New Commercial Mix Use Developments
Yellow – New Residential Mix Use Developments
Black – Not to be razed.
Grey – Existing Parking lots for possible future developments
Beige – Ugly old buildings w/ no architectural significance. These can be razed.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #575
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Just to touch up on with what John flint is talking about. The area I’m specifically is talking about is a stretch of old buildings that are currently on the Hudson boulevard Site from 33rd street up to 42nd street between 10th & 11th Avenues.

This is a major development area and many of the buildings in this zone are honestly not worthy to be saved.

You will have the boulevard that will plow through the current existing old buildings to make way.
Thank you Vertical_Gotham and here is the look of it today. BIG size
you can see the white building that I am sure will be saved and the rest...
image hosted on flickr

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #576
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

the brown building in the front and everything to the right of it will be demolished as far as I can understand. across the 10th avenue there is a huge bulky warehouse that I think will stay there. but further away all the low rises will be gone I think with the exception of white office building.

Old March 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #577
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

I hope there'll be towers like these built in the area:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post

wicca13 liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #578
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I hope there'll be towers like these built in the area:
the idea is a pretty good one, but if you noticed - all of these are either ultra luxury apartments or a hotel/ mix development. I am not sure if this area is as luxury as W57th street or Central Park West to warrant such an expensive siding. Developers have to make a profit and given the area in question it is not the same level as the middle of a Midtown.

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #579

Likes (Received): 368

Whats the building on the left?
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #580
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

15 Central Park West
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags