daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #601
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

the job was shut down for 3 days by the DOB Best Squad for debris falling off and hitting a car.

They also blew the crane jumps. They had the men and equipment on site this past weekend but did not have their permits in place and did not have the bolts required for the tower collars.

Tutor Perini is a complete disaster.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #602
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
the job was shut down for 3 days by the DOB Best Squad for debris falling off and hitting a car.

They also blew the crane jumps. They had the men and equipment on site this past weekend but did not have their permits in place and did not have the bolts required for the tower collars.

Tutor Perini is a complete disaster.
Thanks for the update. BEST = Building Enforcement Safety Team.

Your post gives some background for sbarn's 4/8/2014 post This project seems to have slowed down significantly...

IIRC you had expressed doubt on the need for the overbuild platform steel to be delivered in May/June. Am I correct?

BUT spring is finally here (to stay fro a while) in the NYC area and it is a beautiful day. Maybe j-biz, et al, will perambulate the site perimter and post some more photos...

Last edited by solgoldberg; April 9th, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #603
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylimitone View Post
Hey Tectonic is here too. Can someone help me with a name change?
I wish we could fulfill these requests but we can't. Only Jan our site owner may be able to do that. There is a section at the very bottom of the SSC front page called About The Forums where a request can be made...but it's a long shot. :/
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #604
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Maybe j-biz, et al, will perambulate the site perimter and post some more photos...
Ya know, it's the strangest thing. I swear I posted a ton of photos yesterday to this very thread. But they ain't here now, are they? So I will repost. All photos taken yesterday.

First off, what mmmkk said is sadly true. No more access to the east side of the 11th ave viaduct. Which means no more up-close pics of the action in the Amtrak tunnel box and eventual platform construction.

Blocked off sidewalk:

View from across the street:

The one positive is that we've got proof that platform caisson construction is finally going to start in earnest. Here's some equipment set up on the viaduct:

From the High Line:

I had also mentioned yesterday (or so I thought) that I won't be working in the "smokestack" building much longer. I'm leaving my job come the end of April / beginning of May. So sadly my regular photo contributions to the HY projects will cease soon. I will miss seeing the action every day. BUT... I hate my job. So I'm glad to be leaving that.

Niso, solgoldberg, desertpunk liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #605
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Thanks for the update. BEST = Building Enforcement Safety Team.

Your post gives some background for sbarn's 4/8/2014 post This project seems to have slowed down significantly...

IIRC you had expressed doubt on the need for the overbuild platform steel to be delivered in May/June. Am I correct?

BUT spring is finally here (to stay fro a while) in the NYC area and it is a beautiful day. Maybe j-biz, et al, will perambulate the site perimter and post some more photos...
per the project schedule they should be pouring the 22nd floor this week.

Yes, the overbuild was first due to start in february, then april. There is a massive amount of work to do before we will see above ground platform. not only do they have to drill the caissons, but there is about 5000 tons of embedded caisson core steel that needs to be erected before they can even pour the caisson. its going to take 6 months before we actually see any material work on the plaform.
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #606
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Ya know, it's the strangest thing. I swear I posted a ton of photos yesterday to this very thread. But they ain't here now, are they? So I will repost. All photos taken yesterday.

First off, what mmmkk said is sadly true. No more access to the east side of the 11th ave viaduct. Which means no more up-close pics of the action in the Amtrak tunnel box and eventual platform construction.

The one positive is that we've got proof that platform caisson construction is finally going to start in earnest. Here's some equipment set up on the viaduct:

I had also mentioned yesterday (or so I thought) that I won't be working in the "smokestack" building much longer. I'm leaving my job come the end of April / beginning of May. So sadly my regular photo contributions to the HY projects will cease soon. I will miss seeing the action every day. BUT... I hate my job. So I'm glad to be leaving that.
Thanks for the photos. Looks like they've done a lot of mods to the 11th Ave viaduct.

I can only imagine what this site will look like later this year, hopefully with High Line Phase III open.

Congratulations on the new (assumed) job! Life is finite, so sounds like a good move.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #607
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Great aerial shot of the action from the HY Facebook page.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #608
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3324

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I wish we could fulfill these requests but we can't. Only Jan our site owner may be able to do that. There is a section at the very bottom of the SSC front page called About The Forums where a request can be made...but it's a long shot. :/
Thanks though.
Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #609
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5311

Old April 15th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #610

Likes (Received): 368

How come this building has so much scaffolding?
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #611
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

rendering on Related's website, article from The New York Times

Huge New York Development Project Becomes a Data Science Lab

By STEVE LOHR

Quote:
the sprawling development on Manhattan’s West Side, built on top of old rail yards along the Hudson River, will also become an urban laboratory for data science. The developers, Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group, are teaming up with New York University’s Center for Urban Science and Progress to create a “quantified community.”
The people aren’t there yet; the first office tower is scheduled to open next year, and the first residential building in 2017. But the plan is extraordinary in its size and comprehensive approach, built in from the outset. Among the things expected to be measured and modeled: pedestrian flows, street traffic, air quality, energy use, waste disposal, recycling, and health and activity levels of workers and residents.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #612
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
How come this building has so much scaffolding?
I've wondered that myself. There seems to be a ton of scaffolding that's distinct from the falsework used to pour the floor slabs. I'm no engineer, so I don't know what exactly they're doing, but it's obvious that a lot of the structure (especially the part sticking out over the high line spur) is not permanent.

To illustrate, I drew some lines on a couple of photos showing what I believe to be the edges of the actual building.

©ILNY

HY Facebook page
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #613
thejacko5
SSC Addict

its mostly reshoring for the concrete. way more than other concrete buildings because it is a much beefier structure

Vertical_Gotham, j-biz, Kanto, solgoldberg liked this post
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #614
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

At some point is the building switching to steel?

There is still access to the 11th ave viaduct at a fire hydrant close to 31 St.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #615
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
its mostly reshoring for the concrete. way more than other concrete buildings because it is a much beefier structure
Explain "beefier structure" please... In terms of size/strength it's not all that different than any other large building that goes up in Manhattan... My guess is that it has more to do with the irregular geometry.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #616
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Explain "beefier structure" please... In terms of size/strength it's not all that different than any other large building that goes up in Manhattan... My guess is that it has more to do with the irregular geometry.
its beefier because there are nearly zero concrete commercial office towers. They are always steel.

Higher loading in commercial means that there is more concrete and more bar in this building than the same size residential building. Yes, the geometry does add to it as well.
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #617
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Related built the building out of concrete because the ironworkers would not sign the PLA. Ironworkers thought Related was bluffing....they werent.

I have seen the revit model of this tower drawn as steel.

Part of the reason this job is so far behind is because they are trying to build a tower, that should be a steel building, out of concrete.
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #618
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Wow, very interesting. Your insight is always appreciated, jacko.

Does a developer typically put one PLA on the table for all labor involved, or would they have a different one with each union? If they have just one PLA, then I understand why they'd switch to concrete rather than let one group highjack the whole process. But if they have separate agreements anyway, seems like a waste. Even if these guys ask for a lot more, it can't cost Related that much. How many ironworkers would even work on a job this size? A dozen at most?
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #619
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

lots of towers in Toronto have gone up with concrete recently, but not on this scale. Anything that approaches 200 meters is steel.

Also, concrete takes forever on non standard floorplates compared to steel.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #620
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Interesting-- so will the North tower be constructed out of concrete as well?

Funkyskunk2 liked this post
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards