daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #621
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
Interesting-- so will the North tower be constructed out of concrete as well?
no. its steel.

it has about 50% more steel in it than 1WTC.

Tubeworm liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #622
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Wow, very interesting. Your insight is always appreciated, jacko.

Does a developer typically put one PLA on the table for all labor involved, or would they have a different one with each union? If they have just one PLA, then I understand why they'd switch to concrete rather than let one group highjack the whole process. But if they have separate agreements anyway, seems like a waste. Even if these guys ask for a lot more, it can't cost Related that much. How many ironworkers would even work on a job this size? A dozen at most?
PLAs are usually on large projects. Brookfield just signed a 10 year PLA for Manhattan West.

PLAs are negotiated between the Owner and the NYC Building Trades Council. After that is negotiated, it is up to each trade union to sign on. PLA then becomes part of the contractors contracts.

So, at Hudson Yards, the PLA, I think, is a 10% wage and benefit cut across the board, plus some changes to the working hours.

j-biz liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #623
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4544

How quick of a transition was it from the building being steel to concrete?

If the building carries on all the way up being concrete, this will take years to complete!

Or will it just be concrete for the base/retail part?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #624
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

NYC area spring still a struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
How quick of a transition was it from the building being steel to concrete?

If the building carries on all the way up being concrete, this will take years to complete!

Or will it just be concrete for the base/retail part?
If you're asking about 10 Hudson Yards, my takeaway is that it will be concrete all the way up.

IIRC topping out was forecast for September of THIS year.

PS: NYC area was down right around freezing last two nights. Some of the suburbs woke up to a thin layer of crunchy snow yesterday...

However, today is a nice & sunny, but cool, day for outdoor photography. And there is a fire hydrant on the east sidewalk of 11th Ave (just north of the High Line) that might allow an intrepid soul to bypass the construction barriers. Exercise caution: I assume the construction/safety people & mothers everywhere would dissaprove

Last edited by solgoldberg; April 17th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #625
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4624

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
no. its steel.

it has about 50% more steel in it than 1WTC.
I highly doubt that. The North tower is a big building, however far from the behemoth size of 1 WTC
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #626
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
I highly doubt that. The North tower is a big building, however far from the behemoth size of 1 WTC
In terms of what? It's not a whole lot shorter (less than 150 feet) and much wider at the base.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #627
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
In terms of what? It's not a whole lot shorter (less than 150 feet) and much wider at the base.
IIRC, a lot of the lowest portion (up to how? many stories above street level) of 1 WTC is the concrete truck-bomb-resistant base, so I assume that lowest concrete reduces the need for steel considerably...

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #628
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4544

The base of the 1WTC is around 50m? Which alone more than well makes up for the height difference between 1WTC and HY North Tower

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #629
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

The High Line was packed today!

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #630
solgoldberg

Thank you again for the photos.

The NY Auto Show opens to the public at the nearby Javits Center tmrw (Friday 4/18), so some people might be out-of-towners visiting both.

Also lots of construction at Hudson Yards & along the High Line, if you're into that kind of thing...

Ford also staged a Mustang convertible on the obs deck of the Empire State Building for the show. ESB is relatively close by to HL, Hudson Yards & the AP (photo credit) HQ bldg...

John Minchillo/AP photo is looking south, 10 HY is out-of-frame to right, 5 avenues west and ~ 4 streets south of ESB.

John Minchillo/AP via screencap of Washington Post slideshow:
April 16, 2014 Ford Motor Co. Executive Chairman Bill Ford and Anthony E. Malkin, Empire State Realty Trust chairman, president, and CEO, pose with the limited-edition Mustang convertible as it's introduced on the 86th floor observation deck of the Empire State Building. The muscle car, which had to be taken apart to get up to the 86th floor and then reassembled, will come in two colors — blue and white. John Minchillo/AP
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...?hpid=z8#item2
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #631
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Ford also staged a Mustang convertible on the obs deck of the Empire State Building for the show. ESB is relatively close by to HL, Hudson Yards & the AP (photo credit) HQ bldg...

John Minchillo/AP via screencap of Washington Post slideshow:
April 16, 2014 Ford Motor Co. Executive Chairman Bill Ford and Anthony E. Malkin, Empire State Realty Trust chairman, president, and CEO, pose with the limited-edition Mustang convertible as it's introduced on the 86th floor observation deck of the Empire State Building. The muscle car, which had to be taken apart to get up to the 86th floor and then reassembled, will come in two colors — blue and white. John Minchillo/AP
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...?hpid=z8#item2
Silly question but if the car is only going to be available in white and blue then why is this one yellow??

iamtheSTIG, j-biz liked this post
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #632
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
its roughly 90,000 tons of steel. 1wtc is roughly 60,000.

this tower has a steel core, 1wtc has a concrete core. plus there are massive transfer trusses at the base where the tower sits over the rail yard. very complex. 1wtc is a simple building, large and strong, but simple.

solgoldberg, Tubeworm, MarshallKnight liked this post
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #633
thejacko5
SSC Addict

my tonnage includes a portion of the retail base as well...

my point is that this is a very stout building, and has more tonnage per floor than 1wtc
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #634
solgoldberg

HY area should reach critical mass in a few years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Silly question but if the car is only going to be available in white and blue then why is this one yellow??
I wondered that too. I ASSUME it's yellow because it's the limited edition convertible. Maybe somebody on this forum will visit the auto show @ the Javits Center and report back.

One of my reasons for posting the photo (besides an affection for the ESB) was to point out that there already are crowd-drawing (you hope!) events occurring in the far west side of Manhattan and that the upcoming Culture Shed @ HY should draw more, just by itself.

Fashion Week, for example.
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #635
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
I wondered that too. I ASSUME it's yellow because it's the limited edition convertible. Maybe somebody on this forum will visit the auto show @ the Javits Center and report back.

One of my reasons for posting the photo (besides an affection for the ESB) was to point out that there already are crowd-drawing (you hope!) events occurring in the far west side of Manhattan and that the upcoming Culture Shed @ HY should draw more, just by itself.

Fashion Week, for example.
Hmmmmm, I have a deferring theory. I think it's because yellow nicely contrasts the building, background, and foreground, but in a complimentary way. Blue or white on the other hand would've seemed out of place and tacky.

Plus, I think yellow has this discreet opulence to it. It's a color that no one wants on a car that's used for practical reasons, like commuting, but it's a color that radiates luxury, and excess, to a degree.

I think the color choice was purely for psychological reasons.

And on the topic of this neighborhood, I think it's amazing to see large events like the east coast Comiccon and the NY car show happening here. Very cool, and shows how this neighborhood is well poised for a meteoric rise.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #636
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
Hmmmmm, I have a deferring theory. I think it's because yellow nicely contrasts the building, background, and foreground, but in a complimentary way. Blue or white on the other hand would've seemed out of place and tacky.

Plus, I think yellow has this discreet opulence to it. It's a color that no one wants on a car that's used for practical reasons, like commuting, but it's a color that radiates luxury, and excess, to a degree.

I think the color choice was purely for psychological reasons.

And on the topic of this neighborhood, I think it's amazing to see large events like the east coast Comiccon and the NY car show happening here. Very cool, and shows how this neighborhood is well poised for a meteoric rise.
Well stated.

John Minchillo/AP
People walk past the all-new 2015 Mustang convertible as it's revealed by Ford Motor Co. on the 86th floor observation deck of the Empire State Building.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...ed-edition.ece

WRT the HY neighborhood, the High Line at the Hudson Yards will open this year also. I'm interested in seeing how crowded the western portion of that will get. The western portion is between 12th Ave/West Side Hwy & the uncovered train yard, BUT has views of the Hudson River & Weehawken, NJ.
Old April 18th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #637
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
its beefier because there are nearly zero concrete commercial office towers. They are always steel.

Higher loading in commercial means that there is more concrete and more bar in this building than the same size residential building. Yes, the geometry does add to it as well.
Very insightful... thanks Jacko
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:52 PM   #638
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

The core is jumping again. Hopefully this means they're picking the pace up.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:21 AM   #639
JR2

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
That last 1 is very nice.
Very beautiful
JR2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:38 PM   #640
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem