daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #681
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
... We are all here because we are interested in this project and sometimes we wonder things like "why is this taking so long?" and yeah people might complain about that because they can't wait to see a project take shape and this is a great place for that because many of us (including I would guess you) know the feeling. ... Why is this project months behind anyway?
Pure guess - Related overpromised so that they would get financing. The NYC area also had a terrible winter.

BUT, IMHO, they seem to be finally hitting some milestones. For example, today on their FB page:

May 12th is a big day at Hudson Yards! We're pouring 1,300 cubic yards of concrete on the 6th floor of 10 Hudson Yards and for the AMTRAK Gateway tunnel. This is the single largest concrete pour day we've had since construction began. Go team!

HY NY FB; photo is looking SW across top of 10 HY & you can see the concrete pump nozzle in top center
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

iamtheSTIG liked this post
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #682
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

actually, TP overpromised when they said they could build the tower out of concrete as fast as it could be built out of steel.

winter was bad sure, but this tower should never have been concrete
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #683
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
actually, TP overpromised when they said they could build the tower out of concrete as fast as it could be built out of steel.

I assume the concrete pours went well. Maybe somebody (ILNY?, ??) will post some new photos...
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #684
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
a steel fabricator was named when construction started. They are installing a very large wall around the building at around the 10th floor that looks like a transfer girder-to switch over to steel. Also, there is a storage/change house container on the site west of the building marked Stonebridge-a steel erector.
Does anyone have any info on whether a switch to steel is a real thing?

Quote:
Sounds like a switch to steel as mentioned by mmkk would speed things up but it seems highly unlikely that they would do that to me. Seems like it would only serve to increase the cost of the materials and design.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #685
solgoldberg

Newspaper of record: "south tower...concrete-frame"

Quote:

Sounds like a switch to steel as mentioned by mmkk would speed things up but it seems highly unlikely that they would do that to me. Seems like it would only serve to increase the cost of the materials and design.
We'll find out. Remember that a vice chairman of Thorton Tomasetti was quoted this month by the NYT:

Quote:
She says it [10 HY] is the city’s first all-concrete commercial skyscraper. “At first everyone was resistant to using concrete,” she said. “But as it turned out, Coach loved the idea of having loft-like interiors that exposed some of the structural elements.”
& she was photographed @ 10 HY with a caption that partly reads "which will one day be a 900-foot-tall concrete-frame commercial office building"
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #686
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:

impossible to swtich at this time. the job would stop for 8-10 months.
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #687
solgoldberg

Quote:
impossible to swtich at this time. the job would stop for 8-10 months.
It looks like they brought in the consultants yesterday (5/13/2014) to get the concrete pumping:

HY NY FB "We had some very special guests today at Hudson Yards. A big thank you to Ms. Schmidt and her class for making today so special!"

HY NY FB 5/13/2014, looking east along W30th St, NY, NY

Note that yesterday's photo above of the "pros from Dover" inspecting the 10 HY site shows the REALITY of what Brookfield's Manhattan West render conceives (below). The current reality is that the under-construction 10HY already blocks the view of 450 W33rd st/"5 Manhattan West":

Source lifted from the SSC "Manhattan West" thread

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 14th, 2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #688
solgoldberg

hardcore shutterbug's 5/12 "View from The Ohm, NYC"

flickr's hardcore shutterbug has posted more views from the Ohm on his flickr photostream. The Ohm is the occupied residential tower on the south side of W. 30th, which has at least some unhappy residents due to the nighttime construction activity. These views were taken 5/12, the day of T-P's big concrete pour @ both 10 HY & the east end of the Amtrak gateway project Hudson River tunnel box.

This specific view has a good overview which includes the AP HQ bldg, sliver of the open-to-the-sky Penn Station bathtub/Manhattan West, Farley PO/"Moynihan Station", j-biz memorial office bldg & smokestack, etc, etc.

hardcore shutterbug/ flickr "View From The Ohm, NYC (13)"
looking mostly east, fullres available at his flickr photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardco...n/photostream/
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #689
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
j-biz memorial office bldg & smokestack
So many memories... mostly bad.

I am debating when to head back over to check out the progress. I want to wait long enough so that a substantial amount of work has been completed. So I may be waiting a while...

I'm curious to know what function the space on the southwest corner of the building serves. It just looks like totally walled off dead space.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #690
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 891

cool shot I'm excited to see this tower steadily rise. lol @ j-biz memorial office bldg.
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #691
solgoldberg

"Hot town, summer in the city"

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
So many memories... mostly bad.

I am debating when to head back over to check out the progress. I want to wait long enough so that a substantial amount of work has been completed. So I may be waiting a while...

I'm curious to know what function the space on the southwest corner of the building serves. It just looks like totally walled off dead space.
IMHO the NYC weather has switched to "summer", T-P has hit various milestones, so I assume visible progress will pick up quite a bit in the next couple of months. Though a lot of the visible progress for the overbuild platform will be drilling & filling of the caissons.
But maybe there will be visible progress on the lower floors of the culture shed. As you pointed earlier, there are now steel columns in that area, shown better in the the 5/12 hardcore shutterbug "View From the Ohm, NYC (2)":

View looking north, w/ 10 HY on right. His view also shows the muck pile (& probably bedrock) still remains to be excavated in the middle of the Amtrak Gateway tunnel box.
But, I assume w/o specific knowledge, that T-P will probably build the tunnel box/concrete casing at both ends & backfill first, before they finish in the middle of excavation. That being so they can start rebuilding the LIRR MoE bldg.
I only noticed today that Bloomberg had reported in March that "Related has paid the railroad $10 million to prepare the Long Island yard near the former Shea Stadium site in Queens to store displaced trains, the company said."
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...ck-begins.html

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 14th, 2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #692
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
cool shot I'm excited to see this tower steadily rise. lol @ j-biz memorial office bldg.
He did excellent work documenting the area.

Hardcore shutterbug has posted overhead imagery that anybody can reference if they are looking for viewing/photographing spots on the 11th Ave viaduct, (at photo left). Exercise due caution, of course:

hardcore shutterbug "View From The Ohm, NYC (9)" 5/12/2014
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #693
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Here’s a detailed Spec fact sheet for 10 Hudson Yards to see what this thing will be made of for those have not seen it yet.

Fact Sheet:
https://onlinedocs.related.com/HYDoc...fact-sheet.pdf

Ground Floor Plan (Street)

High Line Lobby Plan

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

solgoldberg, j-biz liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #694
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Here’s a detailed Spec fact sheet for 10 Hudson Yards to see what this thing will be made of for those have not seen it yet.

Fact Sheet:
https://onlinedocs.related.com/HYDoc...fact-sheet.pdf

Ground Floor Plan (Street)

Neat! There's a good agreement between the "Ground floor plan" diagram and hardcore shutterbug's "View From The Ohm, NYC (9)" 5/12/2014.

So, parking will be in the basement with supermarket & Culture Shed truck I/O to the west (left) of the ramp to the basement parking. The 10 HY .pdf is dated 3/15/2014, incidentally.

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 17th, 2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old May 16th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #695
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Since it will be ; all concrete", the steel that I saw may be for the tunnel -seems too soon for the platform.

[IMG]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5079/14000098848_933e3197b8_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/14184160572_c8c151e070_b.jpg[/IMG]

solgoldberg liked this post
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #696
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
Since it will be ; all concrete", the steel that I saw may be for the tunnel -seems too soon for the platform.

Thx, or maybe for the level under the culture shed plaza: the ground floor/Fairway Market

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 17th, 2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #697
thejacko5
SSC Addict

that is grillage steel that will support the crane that will erect the terra firma platform area west of tower c.

all temporary.
Old May 17th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #698
thejacko5
SSC Addict

photo here.

columns are permanent, and stubs and beams are all grillage.

Old May 17th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #699
solgoldberg

Quote:
photo here.

columns are permanent, and stubs and beams are all grillage.

Thx. Apparently the previous mentioned Stonebridge?

I'm reposting a snip from a GIF that gives a VERY crude representation of where T-P MIGHT be by the end of this year. Your guess is good as mine as to what this implies about the "terra firma platform area west of tower c" which I assume is the same as what I'm calling the Culture Shed plaza. But if they're starting to put up the crane now...

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 17th, 2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old May 17th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #700
thejacko5
SSC Addict

stonebridge is the steel contractor.

thats correct. the culture shed plaza is know as the terra firma platform/plaza. that is due to start in two weeks.

id be amazed if TP was anywhere near there in 6 months.

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards