daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #701
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

guesses, FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
stonebridge is the steel contractor.

thats correct. the culture shed plaza is know as the terra firma platform/plaza. that is due to start in two weeks.

id be amazed if TP was anywhere near there in 6 months.
yah.

I reviewed where I got that .jpg frame from. It is apparently a crop from either frame 6 or 7 from "hudson-yards-nyc-master-plan-model-construction.gif". Amonsgt other items, my crop removed a very-faded "2013", because that .jpg frame is obviously NOT 2013.

So it's really just my guess where T-P might be at the end of this year, based upon somebody's "FOR ILLUSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY" source material AND IIRC previous statements that 10 HY was supposed to top out in September 2014. The end of September is 4 1/2 months away...

Still, sounds like the overall HY site should be going bonkers in the next couple of months and I assume the Amtrak excavation could be totally backfilled by the end of this year and the foundations for the Culture Tower started...

Since many enthusiasts enjoy renderings AND it's a beautiful Saturday, I'm posting frame 10 from that same GIF to give an example of what somebody(s) sometime thought the construction sequencing would be:

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 17th, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:35 AM   #702
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

I just made a unified thread about whole area development in NYC section.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post114137664

today's pictures

10 Hudson Yards

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

oscillation, solgoldberg liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #703
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #704
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 414

great shots!
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #705
solgoldberg

5/18/2014 photos by ILNY: good view from NJ

ILNY posted a couple of 10 HY photos taken from across the Hudson River, I assume from the Bergen Palisades in Weehawken? Union City? NJ.

The distance & the adjacent buildings give you a good scale of how far 10 HY has risen:

ILNY 10 Hudson Yards (Coach Tower) 5/18/2014

ILNY 10 Hudson Yards (Coach Tower) 5/18/2014

It looks to me like the perimeter (not the core) of 10 HY is around the same height as the USPS Morgan Station which is right around the height of the smoke stack at the undeveloped lot @369 10th Ave.

Thanks to ILNY/borough of Jersey

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 20th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:46 AM   #706
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 24914

This thing is gonna be a beast when looking across from Jersey!
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:49 PM   #707
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
This thing is gonna be a beast when looking across from Jersey!
Yes it will. Note that in March of THIS year (2014) RE industry web sites were using the render I've reposted below of what the HY construction progress might look like at the end of 2014. 10 HY is the tall one & 15 HY is shown as a foundation/stub:

See below for a Joe Schumacher view of 10 HY (photo right) from the west side of the 11th Ave viaduct May 20th. Photo looks like it was taken just south of where W 31st would be, IF W31st extended into the LIRR's West Side Storage Yard. The render above shows a streets (W31st & W 32nd) in the WSSY that do NOT exist, but they make a good reference.
It looks to me that T-P's BG30 caisson drill is just north of the Amtrak tunnel box excavation/trench. I'm assuming it's at this location to drill caissons for the the overbuild platform and/or north end of 15 HY foundations. Thanks to j-biz for finding these jschumacher photos:

Joe Schumacherhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/jschumacher/14233987325/
Hudson Yards Construction

As seen from Eleventh Ave.

billgates liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 21st, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:31 PM   #708
solgoldberg

Time to check out progress, soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
So many memories... mostly bad.

I am debating when to head back over to check out the progress. I want to wait long enough so that a substantial amount of work has been completed. So I may be waiting a while...

I'm curious to know what function the space on the southwest corner of the building serves. It just looks like totally walled off dead space.
Regarding progress: ghostface79 posted a photo from the HY FB page showing a couple of steel columns up for the overbuild platform, next to the MoE building:

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:33 PM   #709
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Yea, that's pretty exciting to actually see some vertical columns in the rail yard. May have to ride over there next week if we have some nice weather.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:23 AM   #710
solgoldberg

Quote:
Yea, that's pretty exciting to actually see some vertical columns in the rail yard. May have to ride over there next week if we have some nice weather.
yeah.

IIRC earlier this year somebody had stated that T-P was looking for at least some platform steel in May/June. Recently I was skeptical of the need for platform steel in May, BUT now...

Imagine if we have photographs of the east end of the tunnel excavation with a tunnel box in it & then the excavation backfilled...

And remember that we have statement/photos that they are assembling a crane for the culture shed plaza...

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 23rd, 2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:27 PM   #711
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Does anyone know why most of the block on which 10 HY is being built is left empty, while it is (or appears to be) the only block that is fully on terra firma?

I've been wondering about this for a while. 30 HY and the mall have to use a very complex foundation using cross bracing to balance over the rail lines. At the same time, aside from 10 HY, the built up area between 30th & 31st, 10th & 11th is very small: 15 HY has a small footprint, the Shed is a lightweight structure and the rest is park space.

Intuitively, it seems cheaper to build up the southern portion and put lightweight open spaces to the north. I must have missed some constraints.

Somewhat related: the project would also have integrated more cleanly into the NYC grid if it had maintained the street wall along 30th street (even if offset by the High Line), while having openings (stairs) on 10th Ave up to the platform at 31st and 32nd street, which the mall now blocks off.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:32 PM   #712
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
Does anyone know why most of the block on which 10 HY is being built is left empty, while it is (or appears to be) the only block that is fully on terra firma?

I've been wondering about this for a while. 30 HY and the mall have to use a very complex foundation using cross bracing to balance over the rail lines. At the same time, aside from 10 HY, the built up area between 30th & 31st, 10th & 11th is very small: 15 HY has a small footprint, the Shed is a lightweight structure and the rest is park space.

Intuitively, it seems cheaper to build up the southern portion and put lightweight open spaces to the north. I must have missed some constraints.

Somewhat related: the project would also have integrated more cleanly into the NYC grid if it had maintained the street wall along 30th street (even if offset by the High Line), while having openings (stairs) on 10th Ave up to the platform at 31st and 32nd street, which the mall now blocks off.
A few things to consider.

putting the large commercial buildings on the south

1) blocks sunlight from their small park
2) wedges residential buildings between commercial buildings to the south and to the north
3) hurts the value of their residential building they just put up at 520 W. 30th
4) cuts off access from the residential areas to the south and opens up access to some of the least pedestrian friendly blocks in the whole city. Basically everything between 41st and 26th and between 9th and 10th are dead.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #713
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

grillage update

I wouldnt get yourselves too excited about a couple of columns, although it does mean they are getting closer.

I dont expect the erection of the platform to move quickly, like steel normally would in building construction. Try to think of it like a bridge...

j-biz, solgoldberg liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #714
solgoldberg

"it does mean they are getting closer"

Quote:
grillage update

I wouldnt get yourselves too excited about a couple of columns, although it does mean they are getting closer.

I dont expect the erection of the platform to move quickly, like steel normally would in building construction. Try to think of it like a bridge...
Thanks for the crane ?tower? grillage update. The photo is looking mostly east across the ground floor/street of the Fairway Market and/or loading dock/access @ the SW corner 10 HY & the High Line

As you state "it does mean they are getting closer".

AFAIK, to get even closer for 30 HY & the platform in that NE corner, T-P has to build the LIRR a replacement control tower for the yard. The replacement control "tower" has to be built before T-P can dismantle the upper floor of the LIRR building that connects to the employee footbridge. etc, etc,

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 24th, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #715
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
I wouldnt get yourselves too excited about a couple of columns
Oh jacko, at this point I'll get excited for just about anything.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #716
solgoldberg

273 columns for platform: how many more left?

From the HY NY FB page today:

Did you know that there will be 273 columns used to support the platform at Hudson Yards? Well it's true. And the weight of each column will range from 4,000 pounds to 125,000 pounds!

I assume this column is one of the lighter weight ones...
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #717
solgoldberg

Quote:
Oh jacko, at this point I'll get excited for just about anything.
And you live in NYC!

See above for an overbuild platform column resting on a couple of landscaping ties...
Old May 24th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #718
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Although it is not covered in shear studs, methinks that is a caisson core beam...

That doesn't look like a baseplate to me....
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #719
solgoldberg

UrbanImpressionist has posted Mem Day photos

Quote:
Although it is not covered in shear studs, methinks that is a caisson core beam...

That doesn't look like a baseplate to me....
UrbanImpressionist of SSP has posted Mem Day photos of 10 HY and the surrounding/interconneting structures on SSPhttp://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=399

I've reposted one of his views from the Ohm building that I think is the most relevant to 10 HY surrounding steel reaching skyward. IMHO the two recently erected columns north of the LIRR MoE building are for the new MoE building (short column) AND the overbuild retail platform (taller one):

UrbanImpressionist/SSP (R. J. Vojir - Cityscape Oil Painter)
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #720
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5302

First columns

High Line work continues.

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards