daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:21 PM   #801
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Comparison showing the progress of the building over about five weeks. The picture I posted is a capture from a Gigapan taken on june 10th with a view similar as the one posted by NYCD on july 18th
http://gigapan.com/gigapans/156696
There are almost three more floors in a bit more than five weeks, about one floor every two weeks. I think they will speed up later, but if the keep that pace they should some do (edit.
I mistakenly wrote 25 more floors, but there are 25, or less, weeks until the end of the year, so at one floor every two weeks, would be only 12 or 13 more floors. But I do think that they will speed up later, so I think there would be more, about 20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCD View Post
July 18th, 2014

iamtheSTIG, solgoldberg, sgollis liked this post

Last edited by CCs77; July 25th, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:21 PM   #802
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
So it was! Haven't been back since my last day, over two months ago now. Keep meaning to carve out the time, but you know how it goes.

That angle is getting interesting, though. The final shape is really evident.

And here's a Design-mind (of SSP) photo from this week that shows that shape. They have removed some more scaffolding since that Dutch tourist (assumed) 7/12/14 photo:

Design-mind http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=443

billgates, iamtheSTIG, NYCrulz liked this post
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:54 PM   #803
solgoldberg

Design-mind also posted a photo of the roof "forms" for the terra-firma platform that abuts the west side of 10HY. The midground in the photo will become th Culture Shed Plaza/roof for Fairway Market. Photo is taken from the current northern end of the High Line looking NW with the un-opened "High Line at the Rail Yards" in the foreground; Javits Center is the backdrop.
I imagine that this section of the plaza might also have the Culture Shed extension rolled onto it, whenever they build the Culture Shed.
Maybe "Project Runway" will film here in the future!:

Design-mind @ SSP

And for those not familiar with the High Line park the Max Touhey photo below is taken from the unopened "HL at the Rail Yards" section looking SE towards where Design-mind took the above photo:

Max Touhey, Curbed.com

j-biz, streetscapeer, iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 23rd, 2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:43 PM   #804
solgoldberg

"move in by July 2015"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Comparison showing the progress of the building over about five weeks. The picture I posted is a capture from a Gigapan taken on june 10th with a view similar as the one posted by NYCD on july 18th
http://gigapan.com/gigapans/156696
There are almost three more floors in a bit more than five weeks, about one floor every two weeks. I think they will speed up later, but if the keep that pace they should some do 25 more floors by the end of the year. to a total of abot 35 floors.

Thanks for the photo comparisons and calculations. Regarding occupancy dates reported on the Internet I note that the day old YIMBY article that caused a tizzy regarding 30 HY also had the following:
Quote:
The companion tower of 30 Hudson Yards, known as the South (or Coach) Tower at 10 Hudson Yards, started to go vertical last year. Its tenants – which include Coach, L’Oréal and SAP – are expected to move in by July 2015.
http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/07/perm...n-yards.html/0

CCs77 liked this post
Old July 24th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #805
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

good progress....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #806
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

Given this pace, "July 2015" is kind of a pie-in-the-sky target, isn't it? Could any of the tenants feasibly move in while there's still major construction going on? And if not, what would the likely consequences be of missing the deadline?
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #807
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Given this pace, "July 2015" is kind of a pie-in-the-sky target, isn't it? Could any of the tenants feasibly move in while there's still major construction going on? And if not, what would the likely consequences be of missing the deadline?
Good questions. I just posted that very recent mention of the "July 2015" tidbit because of the seeming disconnect with reality.

In the time proceeding "July 2015" we'll see overbuild platform progress, opening of "High Line at the Rail Yards", Hudson Boulevard & Park part I, & the 7 subway extension, I hope.
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #808
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4521

Tbf though, what you have shown is very good progress, and as predicted this tower will be roughly 35 floors by the end of the year, probably even more with accelerated construction!
This building could very well be topped out spring next year?
Although July 2015 is pushing it, I could see it opening maybe Autumn next year?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #809
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

It'll all depend on what kind of winter we have this year. God help us all if it's as bad as the last, though I've heard that it's going to be another snowy one.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #810
solgoldberg

Lots of concrete being poured

Quote:
It'll all depend on what kind of winter we have this year. God help us all if it's as bad as the last, though I've heard that it's going to be another snowy one.
I SINCERELY hope the next winter will not be as bad as the last one.

They are making progress on the tower. Maybe progress on the concrete tower will pick up as construction of Amtrak's Gateway tunnel concrete casing starts winding down. I assume the concrete companies in NYC and across the river are very busy nowadays...
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #811
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

they are framing 10th floor concrete beams for pour...

definitely have a better time of it now that they are out of the podium area. now if only they could stop getting shut down and having broken equipment....

308 days on the countdown clock .....not feeling great about it.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #812
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

Major progress this week on AMTRAK's Gateway tunnel -- lid formwork on the east side and wall reinforcement on the west.

https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYardsNewYork

Old July 25th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #813
solgoldberg

Eastern section of tunnel will support overbuild columns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Major progress this week on AMTRAK's Gateway tunnel -- lid formwork on the east side and wall reinforcement on the west.

https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYardsNewYork

Thanks for posting the photos. Progress looks good. The top, eastern looking photo (& it's 6-8 foot of concrete roof), caused me to look up the T-P/P-B Nov 2012 tunnel study.
The tunnel roof IS that thick in the eastern "C" section because all of the alternatives place the overbuild columns (for the retail podium) directly onto the tunnel roof (see snip below). The details to the right of the tunnel are for the "EXISTING LIRR MOE SHOP, ASSUMED TO BE DEMOLISHED AND BUILT IN KIND ONCE TUNNEL BOX IS CONSTRUCTED."

I assume once the roof is poured in this eastern section they can start erecting the steel overbuild columns on top of the roof. And building "IN KIND" the LIRR MoE buildings/shop

Amtrak Tutor PeriniCorp and Parson Brinkerhoff Nov 2012

j-biz, Niso, ILNY liked this post
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #814
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Columns straight into the tunnel roof, who knew? Great find. It's really all starting to come together.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #815
solgoldberg

steel starting to go vertical

Quote:
Columns straight into the tunnel roof, who knew? Great find. It's really all starting to come together.
Yeah, they're getting started on the vertical for the overbuild.
Remember that they will have a relatively narrow north-south "bridge" of platform (above the tracks) that they will have cranes on to assemble the other platform sections and the "50 by 100 foot trusses" to span the 150 foot wide throat (I'm being deliberately facetious pointing out the mismatches in "reportage").

And, I assume they will be demolishing the 10th Ave vehicle ramp soon after they get the eastern section of the tunnel roof poured & the overbuild platform extended over the tunnels, etc..
The snip below shows where the columns (purple squares) are/will be going and the varying loads (plaza platform vs. overbuild retail podium). The 10th Ave vehicle ramp descends from top right:
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #816
solgoldberg

It's really all starting to come together.

Quote:
I think this recent HY FB post shows the rebar/bolts/whatever for the bases of the retail podium overbuild platform columns. These features are along ~ center of the tunnel roof in this tunnel section:

Hudson Yards Facebook https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYards...type=1&theater

Quote:
Hudson Yards Fun Fact Friday!

Did you know there are more than 400 construction workers on our site today, making great progress on 10 Hudson Yards (our first office tower), the AMTRAK Gateway Tunnel and "the platform". It's true! And by this time next year there will be thousands more working on the entire Eastern Rail Yard (4 office towers, 6 acres of public open space, 20 restaurants, 100 shops and 500 residences). In fact, when all is said and done come 2024, the 28-acres Hudson Yards development will have created 23,000 union construction jobs in New York City!
PS: I'm starting to think the current overbuild platform progress stuff should go into the 30 HY thread, since it will support the retail podium, which was part of the recent 30 HY DoB filing...
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #817
solgoldberg

More 10HY photos form themoulorman

Flickr's themodulorman has posted more 10 HY photos taken Friday/July 25. Maybe end-of-the month KPF survey/inspection.

Here's one looking south (1 WTC on left) with a 10 HY column marked 212'-0"; relative to what I-do-not-know:

themodulorman 7/25/2014

AND themodulorman photo below looks to me like he's looking west with 10 HY on left & the remains of the LIRR MoE building (white steel) on right with retail podium overbuild (rusty steel) above:

themodulorman 7/25/2014

A few more I haven't bothered posting at link below, including at least an interesting one of a corridor shaping up:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/themod...n/photostream/

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 28th, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #818
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

11th fl
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #819
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4521

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Flickr's themodulorman has posted more 10 HY photos taken Friday/July 25. Maybe end-of-the month survey/inspection.

Here's one looking south (1 WTC on left) with a 10 HY column marked 212'-0"; relative to what I-do-not-know:

themodulorman
Maybe that's the height from the ground/hole of the site? (basement and all that)
Would make sense as 212 feet is 64m

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #820
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Possible. It's hard to just estimate the hight.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards