daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #121
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

ahh! utilites. thanks
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #122
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
ahh! utilites. thanks
AFAIK, but I have not been to the Hudson Yards/High line area since 1/2013.
The renderings I've seen show a stairway connecting the west side of 10th to the High Line & the HL is integrated into the tower, but that's about it. Dunno what they're going to do at the extreme east end of the HL spur, on the SE corner of 10th & 30th.

AFAIK the connections from the Coach Tower to rail mass transit will all be above ground. Either walking to the NW to the new #7 station @ 11th & 34th or walking E to the 7th & 8th Ave subway/NJT/AMTRAK/LIRR complex @ Penn Station.

If you've got photos of piles of dirt/excavations in this area I'd love to see them.

The major excavation/construction activity that I can think of nearby is the Amtrak tunnel box. That will require demolition of the north end of the LIRR MOE building, whose south end immediately abuts the Coach Tower site. After demo, the trench for the tunnel box will be excavated ~35 feet below ground surface. I think BGS means below the surface of the rail yards, so the bottom of this excavation will ~60' below 10th Ave. AND utilities will have to be relocated.

etc., etc.
The photo below is lifted from an Amtrak document dated March 2013. The Coach Tower will start rising soon from where the yellow construction equipment is on the right side of the photo. 10th Ave crosses above the tracks in the background. IF the overall Gateway tunnel is actually built it will pass underneath 10th Ave to get to Penn Station.

The East Hudson Yards platforms is much closer to reality and that will be built above the rail yards and Maintenance of Equipment building in this photo. This platform and all it's amenities & structures will connect to the Coach Tower, passing somehow over the LIRR's MOE building. The 10th Ave vehicle ramp in the photo will NOT be rebuilt because the platform would block the ramp's connection to 10th Ave. The portion of the platform above the rebuilt MOE bldg (adjacent to the Coach Tower) will only have retail. It will not have towers, so the support columns will be relatively modest

image hosted on flickr

Funkyskunk2, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 13th, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #123
solgoldberg

The photo below gives a different perspective to the Coach Tower's progress. The foundation is to the right of the white/blue tower crane in the upper middle of the photo. Perspective is close to "street level", taken from the 11th Ave viaduct over the yards.
It looks to me like the foundation/foundation forms are up to approx street level.

I do not know what the yellow construction equipment on the right side of the photo is working on. Maybe foundations for the culture shed/overbuild platform?

The photo is from user rlvch in a post on the Amtrak Gateway tunnel box, whose construction demolition has started:

image hosted on flickr

The relationship of the future tunnel box, Coach Tower (aka Tower C), Hudson Yards overbuild, etc. is show in this photo. The High Line runs along the bottom of the print, the Coach Tower is in the bottom right

photo by Kate Hinds

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 14th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old August 14th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #124
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
ahh! utilites. thanks
Yeah: the Hudson Yards area will require upgrades to the water supply and sewage/storm water takeaway.

For example, the Amtrak tunnel box environmental impact report mentions:
"The DEP is drilling the New York City potable water tunnel shaft, a vertical shaft in the southeast corner of the Eastern Rail Yard, to connect to an underground water tunnel.
Construction of the shaft is expected to be completed in 2013."

Your question on Brookfield's Manhattan West development exposed me to how far along that project was: I could understand the thought of some kind of under ground connection between these sites.
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #125
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

ILNY
(SSP forumer)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #126
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Are the caissons the rectangular excavations in this photo posted by JohnFlint1985 on 8/7?Photo is looking east along the north side of W30th St.

Those pits are water and sewer connections going to openings in the foundation wall.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:39 AM   #127
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Wow, this is really starting to take shape.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:53 PM   #128
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
AFAIK, but I have not been to the Hudson Yards/High line area since 1/2013.
The renderings I've seen show a stairway connecting the west side of 10th to the High Line & the HL is integrated into the tower, but that's about it. Dunno what they're going to do at the extreme east end of the HL spur, on the SE corner of 10th & 30th.

AFAIK the connections from the Coach Tower to rail mass transit will all be above ground. Either walking to the NW to the new #7 station @ 11th & 34th or walking E to the 7th & 8th Ave subway/NJT/AMTRAK/LIRR complex @ Penn Station.

If you've got photos of piles of dirt/excavations in this area I'd love to see them.

The major excavation/construction activity that I can think of nearby is the Amtrak tunnel box. That will require demolition of the north end of the LIRR MOE building, whose south end immediately abuts the Coach Tower site. After demo, the trench for the tunnel box will be excavated ~35 feet below ground surface. I think BGS means below the surface of the rail yards, so the bottom of this excavation will ~60' below 10th Ave. AND utilities will have to be relocated.

etc., etc.
The photo below is lifted from an Amtrak document dated March 2013. The Coach Tower will start rising soon from where the yellow construction equipment is on the right side of the photo. 10th Ave crosses above the tracks in the background. IF the overall Gateway tunnel is actually built it will pass underneath 10th Ave to get to Penn Station.

The East Hudson Yards platforms is much closer to reality and that will be built above the rail yards and Maintenance of Equipment building in this photo. This platform and all it's amenities & structures will connect to the Coach Tower, passing somehow over the LIRR's MOE building. The 10th Ave vehicle ramp in the photo will NOT be rebuilt because the platform would block the ramp's connection to 10th Ave. The portion of the platform above the rebuilt MOE bldg (adjacent to the Coach Tower) will only have retail. It will not have towers, so the support columns will be relatively modest

image hosted on flickr
Other documents suggest that then entire structure will be demolished, and later rebuilt. They have removed the tracks leading to ALL the doors and are doing asbestos abatement inside. Since it is off-street, the demolition should be fast once they start.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #129
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
Other documents suggest that then entire structure will be demolished, and later rebuilt. They have removed the tracks leading to ALL the doors and are doing asbestos abatement inside. Since it is off-street, the demolition should be fast once they start.
The contractor study from Nov 2012 estimated 3 months from "Vacating of MOE complete" (3/1/2013) to "Complete demo of MOE & utility relocation (6/1/2013)".

So I'm guestimating that demo will be complete in mid-November 2013.

"Start platform foundations" has a date of 4/2014, so I assume you could apply a similar schedule slip to start of platform foundations...

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM   #130
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Unless the renderings released by Related are totally misleading, I feel like this must be the case. The entire MOE building is at street level between 31st and 33rd st directly abutting 10th ave. This is also exactly where the retail podium would be, presumably with entrances along 10th ave.

This diagram offers a bit of insight as well:

Aside from an atrium, the rest of the retail podium would be a level above 10th ave, leaving room for a new MOE building at the track level, albeit set further away from 10th ave that it's current location. Seems like a construction nightmare. Much larger version of the above cross-section here.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #131
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

This is gonna be some real complex construction and engineering work to build this building.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #132
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
This is gonna be some real complex construction and engineering work to build this building.
The fact that tower has the High Line spur running through it is a complication. Otherwise. the South/Coach tower itself should be relatively straightforward for a midtown Manhattan construction.

The complications/coordination come up due to tower's connections to the platform to be built over the East Rail Yard.

Note that I can not figure what direction we're looking at the cutaway Retail Space rendering above. Is it looking north, with cars on the the to-be-created Hudson Avenue?
Old August 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #133
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Note that I can not figure what direction we're looking at the cutaway Retail Space rendering above. Is it looking north, with cars on the the to-be-created Hudson Avenue?
Sorry I should have mentioned that info. Yes, the cutaway is looking north with Hudson Ave on the left and 10th ave/AP building on the right. The other render I posted is looking south from 33rd and 10th.
Old August 24th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #134
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Sorry I should have mentioned that info. Yes, the cutaway is looking north with Hudson Ave on the left and 10th ave/AP building on the right. The other render I posted is looking south from 33rd and 10th.
Thanks - I din't realize that Hudson Blvd was going to have vehicle traffic on it. I looked at the Jan 2013 EAS for the Culture Shed again and it shows 31 st and 32 st east of 11th curving north to form Hudson Blvd.
I had been thinking that the outdoor plaza between 32nd/31st/Hudson Blvd east/Hudson Blvd West was all that was going to occupy the "Boulevard" but I know understand that the plaza will be bracketed by vehicular traffic.

Getting back to the south tower itself, jglover1028 has posted a photo of what I assume is one of the excavations for a Coach tower column south of the High Line. The photo is taken from the High Line park looking mostly east , 30th st is just out of view at photo right.

Maybe mmkkk would have information on what this big, unsupported pit is. It has a Tutor-Perinni concrete bucket next to it: is TP also working on the Coach Tower?

image hosted on flickr

Photo 8/23/2013 posted by jglower1028

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 25th, 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #135
solgoldberg

Quote:

A different perspective for the the relationship of 10th Ave street level, the tower and the now-vacated LIRR MOE bldg is shown in this other photo by jglover. The photo is looking west towards the Hudson River from, I assume the bldg @ the SW corner of 31st & Dyer Ave. The south end of the MOE bldg is on the right and it's roof does seem to rise above 10th Ave. The MOE will be rebuilt but if TutorPerrini has to demolish the south end of the MOE also, SOMEBODY will have to pay for it.
According to that TP schedule we'll find out in the next three months if the entire MOE comes down....

image hosted on flickr

Photo 8/21/2013 posted by jglover1028

orange boy, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #136
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post

Taken as whole yes. Come on down to NYC and enjoy the end of summer! The Amtrak trains that come down along the Hudson River from up north stop in NY's Penn Station, which is only two numbered avenues east of this specific site. The "Empire Connection" tunnel that connects Penn Station to the tracks along the east side of the Hudson is underneath the East Rail Yard.

There's a lot of construction in this area. An excerpted RE broker quote from the NY Post: "It’s like they’re building a whole city within the city.”

One of the other aspects of this building is that it surrounds shaft 26B of NYC's famous "Water Tunnel #3". The site for shaft 26B is at the NW corner of the High Line spur & 10th Ave.

I think that this is the reason that construction equipment, including a crane, had been there for most of the 2000s:

This is a ~600 foot deep shaft that reaches down to Water Tunnel #3. The shaft is also the dewatering point of the Manhattan Stage 2 tunnels because it is the low point of these tunnels. So, sometime in the future, NYC might run a garden hose from underneath the Coach Tower and pump the tunnel contents out to the Hudson River.
Update: Shaft 26B IS an active shaft & some of the construction in this area is installation of new water mains that connect to this shaft. This graphic is lifted from a 2012 NYC DDC presentation and gives you an idea of what underlies/adjoins this site:
image hosted on flickr

From a 2003 NYT article:

This particular morning, 600 feet below 10th Avenue and 30th Street, about 40 sandhogs are excavating the first few hundred feet of the tunnel's Manhattan spur. When completed in 2020, half a century after work began, the tunnel will stretch 60 miles and ferry one billion gallons of water to the city each day.

From a 2006 NYT article:

The new 8.5-mile Manhattan section, begun in October 2003, resembles three spokes radiating from a central point roughly below the intersection of West 30th Street and 11th Avenue. One spoke traveled north to Central Park, the second went to Lower Manhattan, and the third spoke, 2.5 miles long, traveled east to Second Avenue and then north to East 59th Street and First Avenue. That third section was the last to be fully excavated, a step completed yesterday.

The Manhattan section of this stage 2 of water tunnel #3 was supposed to be operational this year.

sgollis, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 25th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #137
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I was in Manhattan today for the first time in forever and took these:

Bigger pictures and more of them here:

http://minus.com/mL8udXGt2kGei
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #138
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

N!ce. Thanks for the update. Must have been an exciting visit.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #139
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Getting back to the south tower itself, jglover1028 has posted a photo of what I assume is one of the excavations for a Coach tower column south of the High Line.
Funny story… I'm jglover1028. Glad you found my pics informative . I work at 450 W 31st St, so I watch the development daily!
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #140
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
N!ce. Thanks for the update. Must have been an exciting visit.
Yes, thank you for the photos! Very nice.

Based upon the photos and only one week left in August, I doubt the Coach Tower foundations/whatever will be above HighLine by the end of August.

The last photo above shows some of the north east portion of the East Rail Yard and a couple of tanker/vacuum??? trucks are visible w/ a gaggle of workers. Dunno if that's normal LIRR maintenance or Hudson Yards platform contractors...

I've been thinking about taking the LIRR into Penn and taking some photos of the Hudson Yards & Manhattan West myself. We are in the waning days of summer...maybe check out some over-priced restaurants along the HighLine...

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 25th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards