daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #161
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

That does appear to be the case. They've been hanging formwork from it for the past couple days. I'll take another picture tomorrow morning if I remember. I can't take a clear shot in the evening from my vantage point because of the sun.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #162
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
That does appear to be the case. They've been hanging formwork from it for the past couple days. I'll take another picture tomorrow morning if I remember. I can't take a clear shot in the evening from my vantage point because of the sun.
Thanks ahead of time for the photos. I briefly considered going into the city today, but decided not to due to the high & humid temps.

Apparently they've taken down the last construction crane on One WTC...
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #163
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Forms climbing up the scaffolding.

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #164
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

AVAILABILITY & FLOOR PLANS
http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/wo...ty-floor-plans

FLOOR PLAN

STACKING PLAN

Floors 25 & 26 (Light Blue) and Floors 40-47 (Dark Blue) are available only. A total of 9 floors not spoken for. Amazing.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #165
solgoldberg

Here's the developer's bullet points for rail access to the site. Note that they mention the PATH tubes, whose nearest station is 33rd & 6th Ave. TheGoogleMachine says that's a 17-18 minute walk and then you'd have to rattle your way over to Hoboken for the use of the PATH to make sense...

subway station connection
Direct access via the new No. 7 Subway extension to regional rail routes at Grand Central Terminal
5 minute walk to Penn Station
Access to commuter service via Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit, PATH and Amtrak
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #166
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

It is the formwork support for the core inner walls and floors
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #167
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
It is the formwork support for the core inner walls and floors
Specifically, it is the ULMA "MK" system.

j-biz liked this post
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #168
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Most, if not all of the site has reached ground level. The core structure is at least 30 feet above ground.

[IMG]image hosted on flickr

Hudson Yards Progress 9 11 13 by towerpower123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hudson Yards Construction 9 11 13 by towerpower123, on Flickr[/IMG]

This should be visible above the walls and High Line in a couple weeks.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

orange boy, BrooklynFlyGuy liked this post

Last edited by towerpower123; September 12th, 2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: wording
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #169
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

In a month the whole tower should be visible above the rest. ( of the site )
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #170
jesuz1970
we are the world

Likes (Received): 218

did somebody ask about that brown bridge ?? whats the history behind it ??
jesuz1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #171
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

That's the High Line. It was a railroad spur for freight train built during the 30's. By 1980 it was no longer in use and get derelict for more than 20 years, during that time, wild vegetation grow over it. It was going to be demolished, but a group of people foght to conserve it and build a park over it instead.
Now it is the High Line Park, a very popular place for Newyorkers and tourists. It's been opened in stages, the one going through the site of these towers is the last one to be opened. The already opened sectioms are 1,6 km. long, when this last part is completed it will be 2,3 km. long. Here some pictures of it, the first picture shows how it was before they build the park, with the wild vegetation. When they build the park, they choose similar wild vegetation for the landscaping
You can learn more in the article of Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_Park

the "wild" high line before they build the park.
image hosted on flickr

High Line at the Rail Yards - Train Tracks and Vegetation por Vivienne Gucwa, en Flickr

image hosted on flickr

090610 High Line Park 017 por joevare, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

High Line park NYC - Manhattan - New York City por David Berkowitz, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

High Line por karstenphoto, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

The High Line por Greg Annandale, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

The High Line por navid j, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Standard Hotel por npzo, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Standard Hotel (2) por tessarian, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

HIGH LINE PARK / AUTUMN 2010 - Lower Manhattan, New York City - 11/19/10 por asterix611, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

High Line Park amphitheater por jstheater, en Flickr
image hosted on flickr

High Line Amphitheater por Alex Nunez, en Flickr
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #172
jesuz1970
we are the world

Likes (Received): 218

wow no idea of that park...it's really nice, thanks for the information, i was looking in internet some info about it but youre faster....tks again..

CCs77 liked this post
jesuz1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #173
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuz1970 View Post
wow no idea of that park...it's really nice, thanks for the information, i was looking in internet some info about it but youre faster....tks again..
It's a VERY popular (and recent) park. A lot of the ongoing development south of the upcoming Coach/South Tower is based upon the transformation of the area due to the park and rezoning.

A number of the photos of the Coach tower/Hudson Yards site are taken from the currently publicly open areas of the High Line. An example is this photo taken yesterday (9/11) posted by towerpower123. The photo is taken from the northmost end of the HL park, where it curves to the west into the currently unopened east-west section. The section seen there is being refurbished and will be integrated into the Coach/South Tower as the Coach Passage.

image hosted on flickr

The High Line freight rail line itself was the "modern" rebuild of the grade level rail line that has existed in these areas since the mid1800s. The sections south of 34th st were elevated in the 1930s and all remaining portions will eventually be integrated into the park. The unopened section to the west of the Coach/South tower is hosting an art exhibition NOW. That area is open to the public only a few days per week and you need reservations:

http://art.thehighline.org/project/carolbove/

The photo below is at least a month old from thehighline.org site and is looking east along the not-yet-park HL east-west section that runs just north of 30th st.. Note the art, the LIRR's Hudson Yards, the many-find-ugly AP bldg, One Penn Plaza, the ESB and at least one Coach/South Tower crane. This photo is taken from ~one avenue west of the previous photo. I think this photo is originally by Timothy Schenck whose Flickr photostream has more HL photos over the years.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothyschenck/

The section north of 34th st is below current grade, was linked to Penn Station in 1991 and is now used for AMTRAK passenger rail service to upstate NY and Canada.

This 2011 Iwan Baan photo from the highlineblog shows how the two section connect. The photo is looking south, the South Tower site is at photo bottom. More HL history related to the photo and a plug for the calendar that features this photo is here:
http://www.thehighline.org/blog/2013...l-view-in-2011

The following is a plug for spending $$$ in NYC:
A good portion of NYC's economy is tourism and these areas (HL, Hudson Yards, Manhattan West and all the standard tourist stuff) are easy to get to by mass transit.
If you're an international traveler and flying into JFK you can catch the AirTrain at any terminal and take it to it's Jamaica terminus. From Jamaica you can get onto the LIRR going west and take it to NY Penn Station. NY's Pennsylvania Station (it's named after a defunct railroad) is UNDER the tall, thin, bluish tower (One Penn Plaza) that rises out of frame just right of center in the top photo. Note that you can also fly international into EWR (Newark Airport), which is actually closer to Manhattan, but the train connections are not as direct to this specific area. Just to confuse things, downtown Newark city ALSO has a Penn station, due to the same defunct railroad.

NY's Penn Station is basically all underground now, between 7th & 87th Avenues. The CLASSIC ~1910 above ground head house was destroyed in the '60s to build One Penn Plaza, Madison Square Garden, etc, above, but that's another story with many modern-day impacts. One of the modern-day impacts is that certain media run stories occasionally about tearing down the current Madison Square Garden and building a modern head house for NY's Penn Station.

A few avenues to the east of One Penn Plaza/Penn Station is the Empire State Building. The ESB has been giant-ape free for many decades. If you want to see more cranes, LOTS of steel being erected and concrete being poured you can take the #1 (7th Ave IRT) SUBWAY line at the east end of Penn station down south to the World Trade Center site. That site still has structures under construction, but the construction barriers are being moved inwards as more & more of the structures are being opened to the public/tenants. 4 WTC should open in November. The #1 subway stop that is directly under the rebuilt WTC (Courtlandt St, destroyed 9/11/01) will reopen I-don't-know-when, maybe when 4 WTC opens. The NEW structures are now guarded by sturdy bollards to prevent truck bombers from driving INTO the structures...

Funkyskunk2, BrooklynFlyGuy liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 12th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old September 13th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #174
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

From today, core continues to rise, now above the rest of the high line. Steel is coming in, and lots of progress being made.

Old September 13th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #175
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
You're welcome.

As a matter of fact, this building will be constructed literally over this last section of the High Line Park, as you can see in the pictures, forming a passageway, as it does the Standard Hotel (shown in the previous pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post

Old September 13th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #176
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Quote:
It's going to be incorporated beautifully with the bottom of the the tower as seen in the official renders below. Coach paid the High Line to name the part that passes underneath "Coach Passage," because of a rule in their lease that prevents them from naming the building itself.

Aside from the E tower, this is probably my favorite element of the whole HY site.

streetscapeer, BrooklynFlyGuy liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #177
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Great shots!

Yeah, when I walked the High Line, I found Chelsea a fascinating neighborhood. All the wacky futuristic designs mixed in with the historical stuff. It was something!

nycaddict liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #178
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Do I see the core rising there? Or is that just some temporary warehouse? Is it time for me to start making a diagram for this building?

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #179
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4539

that is indeed a core mechanism! and the actually forms are starting to rise

and yes please, you've got a lot to catch up on

Kanto, j-biz liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #180
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Well, judging by that last pic I expect this building to be atm 10 meters or 33 feet tall atm

Roof height used below

Tags
coach tower, hudson yards, new york, nyc, related, west side yards